SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Feedback please on this new site

Early days still but would appreciate comments on door handles website, thanks

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your feedback on our site blueboxmoving.com. Given me something to think about.

Like what has been done here. Just two things.

1. Think the Essex Handles could do with a stronger defined log.
    2. Choice of the colours are a touch to subtle. I think bolder less pale colours would make a stronger statement and help to increase buyer confidence. Perhaps other colours complimentary to the top blue banner could be used for the navigation links. Then a totally different colour for the 'buy now' buttons.

I like every else. the products are will showcased and will add a visual focal point off the canvas.

Just my opinion.

Thanks Clayton.

SitePoint Enthusiast carlhenson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On your menu, up above, [Wish List, Card, etc], the upper right corner of its buttons shows white corners instead of being transparent.

The site is simple and for me, it's good. Navigation can easily be accessed on the left menu.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool, clean & professional designing. I like your products' images also.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice site dude. your images are also at good clarity.......

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

On the Home Page--
    When I followed the link from Site Point, I wasn’t sure that I was really on the home page. Would the text under the “Welcome” message work better placed above the New Products images? I also wonder if you could shorten the text so that it retains the same professional, high-quality product message. As it is, I’m not sure it invites people to read it because it’s very small and it’s a lot of information. When people first arrive at your site, they want a sense of who you are and what you do. Some of those details might fit better under an “about” section, because people would go there to see how trustworthy you are.

The graphics on your product pages look clean and spaced well, but the What’s New product graphic on the left sidebar is distracting and takes away from the other images (to me).

I think it’s a fun feature to add a wish list, but I don’t know if this is the kind of product that would really use one. I would guess most people wouldn’t buy this product as a gift for someone else, and if they were searching for their own use, they would be more likely to bookmark the product page they like, rather than add it to a wishlist.

I visited the Site Map, but it’s an empty page. You probably know that :-), but maybe it should be invisible for now.

I like the color scheme. Good luck with your site!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi, I agree, your problem is design is not look professional, the logo need some artworks, seems a site doing in a weekend, try to find right color combination and logo layout is good:

I hope this info is helpful for you and remember is just my opinion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. Colour and logo-wise my hands are tied with what the client already has in his B&M store.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally don't think you should have a page of door handles and their cost the first page to come up. I think it would be nicer to have a very appealing, attractive home page (perhaps a nice photo of one of your handles on an actual door. Something more "artsy" like these two examples I found online:
    http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4005/...69ab7924ac.jpg and http://www.danheller.com/images/Asia...knob-3-big.jpg

I think you could come up with a much better logo. One that states the elegance of your product. Again, maybe include a photo of a handle. And I personally found the blue and white colors rather boring. Needs some more colors I think.

The door handles are beautiful pieces so I think your site should promote that angle. Kind of like a "fine dining" website would be. Give your site a distinguished "high quality" look. Give me a reason to believe your the handles you are offering are better than ones I could find elsewhere.

But, remember, this is just my opinion.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Somewhere I would add a search bar for products. If people know what they want, give them a quicker way to find what they need.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would add a search bar somewhere. Also, there is a white corner on the navigation tabs. Lastly, the G+1 looks a little out of place. Maybe place it near the bottom or add more spacing? The design overall is great, and the pictures are amazing quality.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are my two takes on things...

1.) I think it would be helpful if you had a Top Menu, since that is pretty standard, and where people look for things.

Things I would put there include: Products, Articles, Search, About Us, Contact Us.

2.) I think you need to do something to establish a sense of "rows" in your Product Offering section.

The Buy Now buttons are staggered which is distracting. They are also maybe a little too dominant, since they draw my eyets attention more than the Product Image or Product Desciption.

I think it should go...

- Product Name
    - Product Image
    - Product Description
    - Product Price
    - Buy It button

(When it doubt, copy what Amazon.com does!!)

Good luck!

Debbie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all your comments. I hope to add a drop down menu bar in the next few weeks, just waiting for more info from my client

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look a bit plain IMO, could be improved, here are some tips:

1.- Try adding a slider on top of the products, display your latest products or maybe some general information there.
    2.- Looks too busy, try adding space between each line of products.
    3.- Try adding a secondary color, maybe gree or black to the "Buy Now" buttons

Hope this helps.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice. what language are you using server side?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dear member

I just saw your site you are also saying that it is early days that is ur work is not complete. I think You should change your color scheme. The modules boxe's header blue and black the test in it is not so much identifiable or is not catching attractions so much contrast between the background and these color is not good in my point of view. The banner also can be changed since it seems not professional The color of price could be changed to some red or like that since it is important and need to catch attraction. A sorting facility at front page on prize or relevance etc is required since the customers expect it.

Another thing i found is that the links in your pages are not identifiable since it has the same color as the content. check facebook and how they make their content eye catching by high lighting the important things as it needs and the unimportant thngs as it is, pleasant and identifiable eg facebook links, names etc...Simple things but yet powerfull

Vipin S.S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Callvipin,
    thanks for you comments.
    As I say earlier, the colour scheme and logo cannot be changed, they have to match my clients B&M store. Part of my clients brief was to create a clean, simple website, different from the gaudy, loud sites many of his competitors have.
    The links change colour when you hover over them from black to red.
    The price will stay black, red is reserved for special offers/discounted prices to help highlight these.
    I like the idea of being able to change the sort order to 'Price low-high' and will look into this

Thanks again

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looking good. This website has lees speed grade and the W3C CSS Validation error is also there and also there is HTML 4.01 error.

SitePoint Enthusiast ilovemedia's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You lack search box in your site. But the site looks good actually.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    * You need a better logo
    * remove gradient form logo area
    * Align G+ with the rest of the menu or put it elswhere
    * New products box is lower than the box on the left, put it on level with it.

Plus, I'd change the blue to slightly darker blue, sort of navy. Easier on the eyes.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think is nice, simple, clean, old fashion. I'd add also facebook "like" button.
    I also like the pictures and zooming.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site is nicely simple and though you've got a lot of items on there your use of whitespace means that it doesn't feel cluttered.
    The header with 'Essex handles' in it makes the site look low-quality. The gradient is too steep - you could try a subtler gradient that does not end in white. Also, the typography of the title could be improved. I wouldn't use the script font for 'handles' as it is a bit too cheesy and reminiscent of old-fashioned advertising. The font of 'Essex' is nice and simple but perhaps you could use a bolder font to add weight to the name.

Whether to continue to display the handles simply as you have done, I'm not sure. If you know that your customers know what they want and just come to your site to buy it, then the current display is good. However, if you want to tempt people who are not sure what they want, perhaps encouraging them to buy a more expensive handle then you probably want to put the handles in some kind of context - as one commenter above said put them in a high-quality context. Presumably people choose handles mainly based on style - you should be selling certain kinds of high-end lifestyles (minimalist, old fashioned, etc) through your text and images, showing the handles in context.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So one of the first things I noticed was that your buttons "Buy Now" are the same color as your headers. As a result, the first impression is that these two things serve the same purpose, but obviously they don't. Your "Buy Now" button should really stand out, because it's such an important action.
    I would suggest making these things different colors to try and make this distinction. Also as a personal preference I think you could use another color in the mix. You seem to stick with the same purpble blue color through out (of course there is white aswell) and that makes the site kind of plain, at least for me. I'm also thinking there need to be some more tools on your site for finding door knobs. After all this is what your site is centered around, its what all of your users will be doing. You should make this process as easy as possible for them. The categories of door knobs you have on the left under "Products" header is a good start, but this should really be bigger, and more obvious for people to find. Also I'm thinking it would be helpful to see the top rated door knobs for each type. I really don't care when the door knobs were released. What I really care about is how good they are. I would consider replacing your home page's section of "New Products" with "Top Rated Products", "Hot Products", "Recently bought products" or something like that. This would be a little more interesting and useful for a new user. Anyway, very good start so keep up the good work!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oshields View Post
    So one of the first things I noticed was that your buttons "Buy Now" are the same color as your headers. As a result, the first impression is that these two things serve the same purpose
    Not sure how anyone could come to that conclusion, thinking a 'BUY NOW' button is the same as a header saying 'PRODUCTS', 'SEARCH', 'SHOPPING BASKET'.

I would suggest making these things different colors to try and make this distinction.
    Colour scheme is out of my hands, customers decision to fit in with all his B&M store merchandising
    would consider replacing your home page's section of "New Products" with "Top Rated Products", "Hot Products", "Recently bought products" or something like that.
    As customers make purchases, add reviews, and the owner runs special promotions, these will appear automatically on the home page so thanks, but I think that bit is covered