SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    SitePoint Zealot MrFlicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Bucks Herts London Lincs< UK
    Posts
    108
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Question Stevie D Re Google

    Stevie RE this thread and Google >

    http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/show...03#post5103703

    You seem to be under a big misapprehension, defensive to the point you seem to be taking things personally for G to me.

    How Sir is pointing out that the A to G map places are losing people money a rant or in any way anti Google?

    If someone from Google read it for example would they perceive it the same way do you think? Could they not learn something?

    I think it is not an anti Google point of view it is merely an observation of the way things are that I point out.

    Places the Google Map "Places" for certain search terms are making a mockery of natural search and so doing so losing money for people who have already spent hundreds if not thousands to get their page 1 search results.

    It seems to me here (Sitepoint that is) that one cannot say what may be perceived as a negative thing about Google when in fact it is actually the opposite in that it gives reason why since Page took over and certain things have changed that people are saying the same things everywhere.

    Since that thread linked I joined webmasterworld where one can talk about such things.

    Being accused of ranting by stating an opinion which at the same time points out reasons for things like changing attitudes to Google search in many quarters leading to abandonment, is not seeing the bigger picture.

    You are it says an SEO Guru. I am a SEO to in fact I am #1 on Google for some serious SEO Search terms as I am on Bing. Yahoo (of course its B) and Ask etc.

    To ref that thread again. Why would the idea that another person entertains the idea of random search results come into mind or be mentioned as an alternative? It is Google places I am saying is a problem for many and is losing money for many, that have already spent a lot to get the results they have or "had", due to those A to G map listings

    However i remember in another thread you made mention that you liked being logged in to Google and liked the recommendations it then allowed which is yet another thing I find with Google that I would say ruins the search experience and stops me and many others form what I have read elsewhere form logging into Google unless they have to.

    You mistake observations and pointing out what I for one and I have read others have concluded to for rants that are anti G when in fact they are anything but and as I said the opposite in fact.

    Let's take a quite famous line by Aaron Wall

    How much is a page 1 result on Google worth?

    Not a lot when it comes to "Find Geo Service" searches as there SEO is dead for anyone not in the map or above the maps which I see Google at first let one in and now I think is is presently four. Though it was 3.

    I know this as I have 2 links in place above the maps on at least one search for my local area RE web design.

    In effect this means anyone unable to do really good SEO is not able to rank anywhere near the top of the page that is visually presented for any "Find Geo Service" search terms

    I am not ranting about it I think it is unfair for others and I am number one (for example) on G for -
    Code:
    hire the best SE0
    - search term (Spelt correctly of course) so I know more than a little bit about the subject.

    I don't have the problem myself personally as I can beat their maps in fact take a look and see it for yourself Google >

    find lincoln w3b designer - change the 3 for an e there (Google.co.uk that is as obviously there is another Lincoln for USA searches and the above would make no sense whatsoever for those checking).

    I think it is others who don't realise what a problem they have on their hands!

    Or for that matter how important the word "Find" is as revealed by G in it's use for places.

  2. #2
    dooby dooby doo silver trophybronze trophy
    spikeZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Posts
    13,804
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Sitepoint is in no way affiliated to, endorses nor condones Google in any way shape or form. Staff have their own opinions which Stevie put forward.

    I have read your post at least 6 times and I still cant fully understand it.
    I have also followed your suggestions for search terms and your site doesn't appear at the top of Google UK.
    However having found your site via the SE0 term all I can see is your site STUFFED with keywords to the point where it makes no sense whatsoever - (I do like the cartoons though!)

    When you stuff the text more than Pizza Hut stuffs it's crust then you will of course get a good SERP's result but are you not sacrificing page content and legibility to just get to the top of Google?

    To me it seems that you know what to do but loose credibility by the methods you use.


    I will let @Stevie D ; respond directly to what you have levelled at him.
    Mike Swiffin - Community Team Advisor
    Only a woman can read between the lines of a one word answer.....

  3. #3
    SitePoint Zealot MrFlicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Bucks Herts London Lincs< UK
    Posts
    108
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @spikz
    Levelled at him hmm that's one way to look at things quite why it again turns to personal things going off topic has to do with things though is or would be baffling if it wasn't for it is a tone one would associate with a closed shop or closed circle type of attitude and approach side to things.

    Anyway as for losing nay cred or whatever I wasn't looking for any and only really posted as the thread got closed and seemed very pro google without the bigger picture being taken into consideration. I joined webmasterworld to see if sensible conversations can be had as outside the coding forums here on sitepoint as soon anything G or marketing or SEO is mentioned it is it seems always a case it gets personal and done so to put down or discredit . I have seen it many times when I have had the odd pop over to lurk here in SP and so it's time to give that other forum a go to see if actual discussions will happen rather than things always resorting to personal attacks as they do here on a website that I rarely see any point in positing on due to that very mentality.

    You have a viewpoint form your angle re keywords it seems but it is a competitive thing so you ought to bear in mind it takes some repetition of words and sometimes to push it a bit in order to beat the competition who are doing in many cases a lot worse then a few repeats of phrases which after all is not actually the definition of what you say anyway.

    but then you know that don't you (that's a rhetorical Q btw).

    It's incredible on Sitepoint that way isn't it!

    BTW what all that opening stuff there was about is funny ...

  4. #4
    SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    r937's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    39,220
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFlicks View Post
    ... so it's time to give that other forum a go to see if actual discussions will happen rather than things always resorting to personal attacks as they do here on a website that I rarely see any point in positing on due to that very mentality.
    k, buh bye

    don't let the door hit you on the way out

    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

  5. #5
    dooby dooby doo silver trophybronze trophy
    spikeZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Posts
    13,804
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFlicks View Post
    @spikz
    erm, close enough I guess....

    Quote Originally Posted by MrFlicks View Post
    Levelled at him hmm that's one way to look at things quite why it again turns to personal things going off topic has to do with things though is or would be baffling if it wasn't for it is a tone one would associate with a closed shop or closed circle type of attitude and approach side to things.
    You titled the thread with Stevies name in it - I can't see how much more personal you can be without buying him dinner....

    Quote Originally Posted by MrFlicks View Post
    Anyway as for losing nay cred or whatever I wasn't looking for any and only really posted as the thread got closed and seemed very pro google without the bigger picture being taken into consideration.
    The thread was closed because the answers were getting repetitive and it was fast becoming a fluff magnet - not for any other insidious or underhand reason.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrFlicks View Post
    I joined webmasterworld to see if sensible conversations can be had as outside the coding forums here on sitepoint as soon anything G or marketing or SEO is mentioned it is it seems always a case it gets personal and done so to put down or discredit .
    Can't say as I have ever noticed but ok.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrFlicks View Post
    You have a viewpoint form your angle re keywords it seems but it is a competitive thing so you ought to bear in mind it takes some repetition of words and sometimes to push it a bit in order to beat the competition who are doing in many cases a lot worse then a few repeats of phrases which after all is not actually the definition of what you say anyway.
    Yes I will bear it in mind but seeing as I farm out my SEO to external companies I am looking at it from a client perspective AND NOT SITEPOINT Team Leader.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrFlicks View Post
    but then you know that don't you (that's a rhetorical Q btw).

    It's incredible on Sitepoint that way isn't it!

    BTW what all that opening stuff there was about is funny ...
    Glad you are amused.
    Mike Swiffin - Community Team Advisor
    Only a woman can read between the lines of a one word answer.....

  6. #6
    Mouse catcher silver trophy Stevie D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    5,881
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFlicks View Post
    How Sir is pointing out that the A to G map places are losing people money a rant or in any way anti Google?
    Because you have failed to address any of the points and questions that I raised in answer to your various posts. All you have done is to repeat again and again your point that is as far as I can tell (and like SpikeZ I really do have difficulty following what you mean) Google shows 7 listings in map view, that means that other companies don't appear in the initial map view and so those companies won't get as much trade and this is somehow unfair and all Google's fault.

    You have lauded other search engines as being better, and when I have pointed out that they perform worse by your own standards (ie how many companies are shown in the map and main listings on the first page) than Google you have ignored the point. I have asked why other search engines are better, and you haven't responded. I have asked what you would do differently, and you have said nothing.

    In short, you have written several long posts criticising Google but giving no rational basis that I can follow for your criticism.

    I think it is not an anti Google point of view it is merely an observation of the way things are that I point out.
    That's a point of view you're entitled to hold, but I don't think that is how it comes across.

    Places the Google Map "Places" for certain search terms are making a mockery of natural search and so doing so losing money for people who have already spent hundreds if not thousands to get their page 1 search results.
    Why is getting into the top 7 "places" (which by definition rules out the many directory and review sites that are leeching visitors from genuine businesses, which you should be in favour of) any different from getting in the top 10 "natural" results? These are still organic listings, they are not paid advertisements.

    It seems to me here (Sitepoint that is) that one cannot say what may be perceived as a negative thing about Google when in fact it is actually the opposite in that it gives reason why since Page took over and certain things have changed that people are saying the same things everywhere.
    I like Google, and I think they do many things well. Equally, there are some things they do that annoy the out of me, but on the whole I think they provide a good service, and overall do much better than any of their competitors. I don't in any way see myself as a "Google fan-boy" and nor I am blind or deaf to criticisms of them. I just like those criticisms to have some substance to them in particular, suggestions for what they should be doing that they aren't.

    To ref that thread again. Why would the idea that another person entertains the idea of random search results come into mind or be mentioned as an alternative? It is Google places I am saying is a problem for many and is losing money for many, that have already spent a lot to get the results they have or "had", due to those A to G map listings
    I'm still not clear what the problem is. Some sites get a first page listing, others don't. Big woop-de-doo. That's been the case for nearly 20 years. You have not at any point explained why Places is different from other types of search results, except that some businesses appear on the first page of normal results and not in Places.

    So some companies have spent lots of money on SEO to artificially boost their position in the search results above where they deserve to be, and now they're finding that their deceitful efforts are no longer working. Why should we be sympathetic? Google has said all along that it doesn't want people to be carrying out off-page SEO, and that it will do everything it can to neutralise it. Maybe this is just another piece in that puzzle, another facet of their quest to rank at the top the businesses and websites that are genuinely the most popular and most in demand by users, rather than those who have spent the most on dodgy link-building practices.

    In effect this means anyone unable to do really good SEO is not able to rank anywhere near the top of the page that is visually presented for any "Find Geo Service" search terms
    So how do you think those seven Places listings are derived?

    Quote Originally Posted by MrFlicks View Post
    Levelled at him hmm that's one way to look at things
    You're the one who named me in this thread...


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •