User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Critique my Portfolio and Web Blog site

Hello everyone,

I have been "lurking" or learning from this site for awhile now and just decided to become a participant and start contributing.. I am learning a bunch and trying to take it all in at once.. Not easy...

I have a site that serves as my personal portfolio site and blog that i use for prospective employers and local clients... If you would take a look and let me have it..

I am a pretty good coder but i am working on the desing eye..

http://www.laynemedia.com

thanks for you time..

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi LMedia,

Good design skills rarely come together with programming background. But your website look nice and clean - with good proportions, enought whitespace etc. I like it.
    Also from the marketing point of view the content is planned very well.
    What I would emphasize more on the home page are the new blog posts, which are the most important content here (for visitors). Now only short titles are visible - even without dates, despite the blog is up to date.
    You could also think about a better photo of yours. In my opinion this is very important in the matter of hiring freelancers. Using a DSLR camera with the right lens (ca. 100mm - best for portraits) would show you as you really look like.

Cheers,

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Normally I'd be against such a harsh gradient for the background, but I actually like it.

The whole site is organized really well, and it looks pretty nice too. Clean and simple. If I had to make a complaint regarding aesthetics, it would be that you need some color in the header area.

Oh, and something you might like to do for the blog area is get rid of the border-bottom for the last post. This can be done easily with
    Code:
    div#post:last-child { border-bottom: 0 }
    or something similar.

You should've seen the smile on my face when I resized the browser window and your layout adapted to it

Great work.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say thats a solid site, nothing spectacular. maybe a bit dull as well, too much grey.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok ,

1) Your theme is based on the Responsive Theme , You could consider modifying it more and putting your designing into effect ,

2) The site looks too plain for a Designer's website , try using some Jquerry Sliders etc , which would give the site a lively look.

3) On the Home page you can have a Slider featuring your works , as people would be more interested to see what you have already done and keeping a slider on the home page would bring more attraction to it

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to thank everyone that replied.. I will take all of your comments into consideration.

Thanks for pointing out things that i am overlooking..