SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    J has some good suggestions about the pop up ads and using a different service. If there is a reason why it is impossible to change your hosting then maybe a brief explanation is in order as you gave here. One would hope the readers of your site would charitably ignore the irritation of those pop ups if they understood why you are stuck with them.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys,

I put the study links back in the center! I liked them better there. Thanks for your renewed vigor about the the annoyance of the pop-up ads. I generally close the bar at the bottom and I think the size of the pop-ups changed without me realizing it. I only notice how large they are when you mentioned it a few days ago.

I don't know what I can do about changing over to another freehost sans pop-ups. I've got some friends who are sharing the site with me and they've already expressed concern at how much time I've been putting into chopping and changing the site; they don't want anymore changes! If I were to now say that I think we should move to a different host, they may accept it if I explain the thing about the pop-ups, but it'll be a hard sell!

We've already stamped and distributed several thousand pieces of our literature with that address and our bible study cards, too! Perhaps redirecting will cover for that so that it's not a problem, but it will still add some confusion into the mix.

I'll think about the idea of adding a disclaimer regarding the pop-ups.

I hear what people are saying about there being too much color, but I've also had people tell me it's too drab and grey. The original lion image was grey scale but a friend wanted color in it. I had a lot of fun playing with it in photoshop, but a different friend recently told me he thinks it has too much color (i.e. it's too busy) so I may try to tone it down a bit.

The hover box in the volunteer section was working before I changed the design, so I've probably left something out of the css when I was shifting stuff around. Thanks for pointing that out.

Actually, I'll probably take a break on the design aspect for a while and get busy uploading more of the studies. I still have more than a 100 to upload and it's been dragging out.

Anyway, thanks everyone for all the helpful advice.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi , i opened review site and i got some of the plus and minus points
    plus points :
    great logo , one of the best .
    good navigation CSS
    good loading speed
    at the top right corner the dropdown icons they are amazing and good looking

minus points:
    colour combination is not good for headings and paragraph
    in the featured articles text is overriding one another
    thin page needs more content on home page .

but still good .

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Google chrome with McAfee it sais :
    "We tested with Website and blocked content from potentially dangerous / suspicious sites"
    Enough to send me away immediately!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Google chrome with McAfee it sais :
    "We tested with Website and blocked content from potentially dangerous / suspicious sites"
    Hmmm, yes that would be enough to send me away, too, I think. Does it give any indication as to why the warning is there? Initiated an automatic statistics monitor included in the freehost services. Perhaps that triggered some kind of warning in your browser security?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The page design is really really outdated, like other sitepoint users have said it looks like it was made in the 1990s. It also has a dark and gloomy feel, plus with popup ads and share ad bar addon it's also annoying and I dare say inappropriate for a site that wants to attract "Christians who want to get a better understanding of what Jesus taught His followers to do. ". I would say start over, try a nice simple light design for instance a white background with black font and if your going to place ads try placing them in the side bar instead of the annoying popup and bar ads like you have now.

Also like users have stated In Google chrome with McAfee it says :

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Blake. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. The stuff about 90's, Gloomy feel, and pop-ups have already been addressed, though I'm fine that you more or less restated what others have already said.

Thanks, also, for confirming that issue about the potentially dangerous content warning. I've contacted the web host staff about it; hopefully they'll be able to tell me why my site is tripping your security settings.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site look very retro (not what you are looking for). I would personally go for a complete redesign. If not, then change the color scheme so there isn't so much gray.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Warning: philosophical debate approaching:

But first, 2 updates. I've not yet heard back from the webhost as to why some people are receiving warning messages when viewing my site.

Also, I'm currently working on a pop-up disclaimer which is current with my beliefs about why I've chosen a free host which is only free because of it's pop-ups. I'll let people know when it's uploaded.

----------

Now, on to the juicy details of the reason for this post...

Several people have commented on the "90's" look of this website. I've wondered a lot about these comments. When I was 17 and first discovering the internet, I wondered about the internet and tried to take a course on HTML. I failed miserably; total lack of interest.

17 years later I've found what I feel is a genuine interest. However, I seem to lack a genuine ability to understand genuine design. I'm willing to hear that.

But, I also feel I'm a fairly rational person. Comments like "it's too 90's" clang with me. Like, should anything which is reminiscent of the 90's be banished to the obscurity of obsolescence?

Just what the hell is "the 90's" anyway? I notice this very forum uses smilies direct from the 90's. Is there any particular criticism on this forum of those smilies which I am missing? If not, why not?

When someone says, "it's from the 90's" what are they actually saying? Perhaps it's just a shibboleth, or an "emperors new clothes" cliche which modern web designers feel they must profess to in order to be accepted as genuine web designers in this modern day?

What is this "90's" label really all about? Is it really an objective criticism? I can handle subjective, but not when it's presented as objective.

For example, a criticism was made about pop-ups; a very genuine and objective, verifiable criticism. Fair enough.

A criticism was made about placement of particular elements on the page. Slightly less objective, but still reasonable because reasons were given (i.e. most menus are placed in the left and not in the center OR the menu in the center looks good because it is a prominent feature of the site".)

However, a criticism like "it looks like something from the 90's" is nearly pointless, because it virtually says nothing of substance. It's like saying, "it looks like something from 2006, throw it out and start again". What does it mean? I dunno. What about, "it looks like something from 2010, throw it out and start over". Could anyone really deny that it's a valid criticism here at the end of 2012?

And yet, something is missing from the criticism, isn't it? Just was is it about "90's" web design that is so bad?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ugh, stupid duplicate. sorry.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello In my opinion the site is not visually very well decorated. Too small fonts, and not just viewed the idea of this site. Try to rearrange the contents for easy navigation and to increase the font or make them more readable.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was looking for a banner
    who is this - what are they called, a fanfare

Great words but why different font sizes

The volunteer para is large font - is that where you want people to read first?

The line "hearing what you want" was corrupted by words "WANT TO HEAR"

More modern fonts and colours I feel here http://www.simba-judah.webs.com/mone...oney_home.html and the nave bar is sombre

Also I am getting spam looking images at left of screen promoting webs.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like others said your website looks cluttered and bit outdated. Due to excess use of images page does not load quickly. And pop up ads are very annoying part of your website. And most importantly by looking at the home page of your site it is hard to determine the purpose of the site. Color schemes, backgrounds, images make it look more like a gaming site Some of the sections of your site still require content, for example books section.

The concept is unique and interesting but you need to put more work on your site. All the best for your site.
    Get iPhone to Computer Transfer Tool - Transfer iPhone Files (Voice Memos,
    Music, Videos, Photos) to computer and vice versa with ease.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First impression was a site build for children. Personally not a great fan of the 3 column design, nor of fixed width. Quick look under the hood showed your use of metatags not very helpful.
    Personal thing admittedly, but I hate rollovers with a vengeance. Only thing I liked, were the graphics at the top of the pages.
    Probably not quite what you wanted to hear, but that is honestly how I feel.