SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Portfolio Website - Please Review

In my final year of university doing a degree in Multimedia. Our assignment is to complete an online portfolio. Please review it, any thoughts good or bad would be very much appreciated. Here is the my link http://www.imcg.me

Thanks

Ciaran

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your profile pic looks sloppy. it's clear from your content that you are trying to portray a professonal look, but the plain white T-shirt doesn't achieve that goal. Your hair looks okay, but try a casual button down shirt and at least some attempt at a smile.

The background in general is a bit too plain for my taste, though I do have a personal tendency to go overboard with such things, so, take it as you will.

This paragraph is also questionable:
    Ciaran is a 23 year old, final year Multimedia student. He is a versatile designer that is interested in all aspects of design. He is hard working and very motivated and enjoys a new challenge. Ciaran is reliable and dedicated to satisfy his clients needs. Please browse through the website and blog or get fell free to get in touch with me via the contact page.

Too much "he is". It also sounds a bit strange to be talking about yourself in the 3rd person, if it's your own website. I dunno, maybe that's just how it is in professionalism. It does sound a bit off putting how you brag about yourself, though. Something a bit more subtle would probably be more approachable.

The "what my clients say" section has a few typos and grammar errors. It may also be worth accentuating the quote by using italics, or in some other way distinguishing it as a compliment besides simple "" marks.

The thumbnail of yourself has an interesting "toggle" effect on hover, though. I don't know how you do that but it's neat ( I think it's just a change of color but possibly a difference is size of the border effect?".

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cows View Post
    Your profile pic looks sloppy. it's clear from your content that you are trying to portray a professonal look, but the plain white T-shirt doesn't achieve that goal. Your hair looks okay, but try a casual button down shirt and at least some attempt at a smile.

The background in general is a bit too plain for my taste, though I do have a personal tendency to go overboard with such things, so, take it as you will.

This paragraph is also questionable:
    Ciaran is a 23 year old, final year Multimedia student. He is a versatile designer that is interested in all aspects of design. He is hard working and very motivated and enjoys a new challenge. Ciaran is reliable and dedicated to satisfy his clients needs. Please browse through the website and blog or get fell free to get in touch with me via the contact page.

Too much "he is". It also sounds a bit strange to be talking about yourself in the 3rd person, if it's your own website. I dunno, maybe that's just how it is in professionalism. It does sound a bit off putting how you brag about yourself, though. Something a bit more subtle would probably be more approachable.

The "what my clients say" section has a few typos and grammar errors. It may also be worth accentuating the quote by using italics, or in some other way distinguishing it as a compliment besides simple "" marks.

The thumbnail of yourself has an interesting "toggle" effect on hover, though. I don't know how you do that but it's neat ( I think it's just a change of color but possibly a difference is size of the border effect?".
    Some great points above:

I would like to add some thoughts from viewing your source. I will start by saying that you could stand to make some minor changes around:

H tags -- there are none on your site. Google about when and where to place them.
    Meta tags -- google is our friend here also.

I think your on your way to having a great site with some minor tweaks your site will rank you in the area of expertise.

Good luck!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm all in favour of simple, unfussy websites but I feel the choice of blue background makes the site look very dull and mundane, not what you want if you are trying to sell your services.
    On the 'What my clients say' unless you intend providing more free work I would not mention that you did this job for nothing.
    Other than that, good luck for the future

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could change your typography... Itīs somehow "not modern" and the elements doesnīt fit together. You logo is NOT pixelready. Maybe you better ask a designer for edit it or improve this element. Dont use pixeled images on your site.. this looks really bad! And you could use other icons instead of this white-blue ones...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are a beginner no doubt the website is quite rich but change the color first since its not well for the naked eyes.

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    457 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    It's not clear at first what you actually do. Portfolio of what? If you are a web designer, it's best to say in big, clear type what you do and what you offer. At the moment, I have to scan the page, reading the small type to work out what you do. That may be too long for most people to wait.

As others have said, you'd do well to get another profile pic. I don't want to be insulting, but it looks like you just got out of bed to me. (I'm old fashioned, and not into that "I lost my comb" look! )

The site has a nice, clean look, with a lot of potential. I think you need to be more bold and reach out to your audience more—in ways described above.

Note also that the lightbox on the portfolio pages doesn't seem to be working (at least in Firsfox). I would suggest featuring each site a bit more, with more pictures, and saying a bit about the project etc. Again, reaching out, being a bit more bold, and really showcasing what you can do.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your website is down.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great. I would change how your are doing your body background. I would use colors in <div> boxes instead of that huge .png image. This will speed up your site and make future changes easier.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    10 tips for website design
    http://speckyboy.com/2011/05/08/buil...s-40-examples/
    an example of a website portfolio layout
    http://www.wiidesign.com/
    what not to do (or mistakes)
    http://www.useit.com/alertbox/990530.html
    -
    hope this helps
    falcon
    Many good Free Tutorials at:
    http://freetutorials.name

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CSS isn't externally linked so you have a mass of CSS on all of your pages. The main background image is huge(960x1200) and thus takes time to load. You could make it skinnier and repeat it and get the same effect. I could even see breaking it up in relation to the section it is in to help as well. The blog needs to look like it is actually a part of your site.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just visited your site . If you do some little change it will be more attractive . Cool work , by the way .

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    according my experience, you have some problems here:

- your photo, you maybe have used phone camera... try with pro one, be more happy is not military army photo
    - your design have nothing special, is not minimal and is not shocking... try to take a look at other site, put in first page some of your works
    - title: welcome to .... your name for example Ciaran Gallagher | web designer... remember people are lazy I've to understand soon what are you doing

I hope this info is helpful for you and remember is just my opinion