SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Free assets portal - share the internet? Review, suggestions, problems?

Hey guys,

I just finished my first 3 reviews and I am requesting a review for a project I am working on, any help, insight, problems, ideas, suggestions etc. is more than welcome.

The site is www.creattor.com and it is intended to be a free assets sharing portal that will help users, designers, webdesigners find free stuff, ready to be used in commercial products. The goal of the website is to provide a platform where people can find a plethora of useful stuff, just one click away.

The site is still BETA, but it's approaching the final development stage, and it's gathering notoriety -won't go into boring facts.
    What I would like to know is how you feel about the site and how it works on your terminal.

I am interested in:
    - general design layout;
    - technical glitches;
    - ease of use;
    - theoretic usefulness (would you use such a platform?);

Thanks a million and I am waiting your replies. Be brutal!

Creattor.JPG

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Site works great for me. I'm using the latest version of FF.

I like the overall look of the site. I'm torn between saying it's nice to be able to see so many items on each page and that it's a bit cluttered. Maybe increase the padding between thumbnails in grid view so there is a bit more white space?

I would also make the text captions on each thumbnail uniform, right now they appear in different locations and have different background colors.

I love that the thumbnails expand on mouseover so you can get a better look without clicking.

The pages took a couple seconds to load (to be expected with that many images) when I switch between categories, but the creattor loading image is entertaining enough for the 3 seconds it took.

Overall love the site, I will definitely spend some time browsing. It's very useful.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the review, and if you would like, could you please answer some follow-up questions?
    The site should run OK on all browsers, but you can never know when IE wishes to stop my javascript and the site gets paralyzed, so this browser intercompatibility is a big issue for me.
    I'm torn between saying it's nice to be able to see so many items on each page and that it's a bit cluttered.
    Could you please elaborate? How did you find the front-page: too much of a good thing in one place? Did you want to stay on the front page or did you want to go exploring the other sections of the site? Did you even see that there are other sections to the site?
    Maybe increase the padding between thumbnails in grid view
    Thanks for the advice, we will give it a try and see where it takes us.
    Q: Did you find the grid view useful? Did you try to use the thumbnail search engine?
    I would also make the text captions on each thumbnail uniform, right now they appear in different locations and have different background colors.
    Every creattor can upload their own custom thumbnail, preview image and screenshots of the asset they are uploading, so it's up to each creattor to make his/her work stand out, and I wouldn't want to see creativity (which should be the driving force behind the portal) stiffened.

Lastly, I appreciate your contribution, it helped me a lot, and I am wondering if it's possible to have friends review the site to? I really need the feedback. Thanks!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rususorinvick View Post
    Could you please elaborate? How did you find the front-page: too much of a good thing in one place? Did you want to stay on the front page or did you want to go exploring the other sections of the site? Did you even see that there are other sections to the site?
    Above the fold it is not too cluttered, I think you have the maximum amount of content/design elements before being too busy. It was immediately evident to me that you had other sections to the site because I saw the tabs at the top, although the grey doesn't stand out very much and might be missed by some people. I instinctively scrolled down because I saw there was more content, and at first glance the grid view was a bit overwhelming but once I looked closely I liked the fact that I could see so many examples in one place. Without the enlargement on mouseover the tiny thumbnails wouldn't work, but it's nice to be able to preview so many designs without leaving the page. I'm sure there will be people in the "it's to cluttered" camp, after all you can't make everyone happy Maybe draw more attention to the ability to switch to list view for those who prefer less content on the page? Since I could browse all the content from the left side bar I really didn't need to navigate using the tabs or drop down menu. But it's nice that you offer those navigation options for people who don't make it below the fold.

Did you find the grid view useful? Did you try to use the thumbnail search engine?
    I like the grid view. Site search worked fine for me. Not too many results, but that will probably chance as you get more submissions.

Every creattor can upload their own custom thumbnail, preview image and screenshots of the asset they are uploading, so it's up to each creattor to make his/her work stand out, and I wouldn't want to see creativity (which should be the driving force behind the portal) stiffened.
    That explains the disjointed thumbnail appearance. Maybe require the label at least to appear in the same place and leave the shape and other appearance details up to the creator for more unified creativity (is that even possible)?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the ste looked quite professional. Not much I feel I can say. Sorry. Good job, though...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you everybody, the feedback is really helping me and I am glad to hear that I am getting such positive feedback. It shows that all the effort we have put into this isn't wasted.

To Melissas: we are currently working on making a template for graphics that creattors can use, just to give the site a more coherent design, especially since the thumbnails represent such an important part of the CREATTOR experience. So thank you!
    And I agree that you can't satisfy everyone, but we are aiming towards satisfying most of the people making their way to our site.

To cows: thank you for looking into it - we are a group of friends that have been hard at work on this site for the last 4 months now and any input is important for us.
    So, could you answer some questions for me?
    - Is the site clean, fast and user-friendly? Do you find it useful for design work? Is it different than any other project that you have seen out there or does it look like any other site?

And one question, did you guys had a chance to look at the video presentation for our project - we had a professional actor voice the text, and the animation was done in Adobe After Effects.
    Here's the video:
    Last edited by rususorinvick; Apr 23, 2012 at 08:01. Reason: i wanted to re-add the video...i hope this is not considered violation of the rules of the forum...

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are some technical issues I noticed, too many to detail, like wrong markup, lack of proper CSS style, heavy and wrong use of JS/AJAX, that I like less:

Too much JS/AJAX dependency: CSS, web fonts, content
    - I would expect the initial value for the downloads counter to be available
    - style in header social should be CSS, not JS (and in a few other places as well)

Fixed layout

Wrong markup in some key points and more over

Some weird typography and wrong class names
    - for <ul id="jsddm"> <a> with VegurRegular class displays serif font w/ JS, yet VegurRegular is sans serif

Missing basic accessibility

<hr>

On the bright side, the design part is pretty well done. The branding is solid. Colors are well put together.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love Your site!!Bravo!Just ad more and more images,templets and so on!!You are the best!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @tony5885:
    Thank you for your kind consideration, but since this is a review thread, I would like to know a little more, if you can about what you liked about our site. What are the strong points? What made you think this site is special/different from any others?
    Where you compelled to download some of the files? Did you check more than just the front page? Did you want to join/made an account?

@itmitică:
    Thank you for your extensive review and constructive criticism, that's why I have posted the review here in the first place.

Missing basic accessibility
    Could you please elaborate - as I don't really understand what you mean by accesability? Are you referring to mobile devices?
    heavy and wrong use of JS/AJAX, that I like less:
    How do you mean wrong use of JS?
    - I would expect the initial value for the downloads counter to be available
    Could you please elaborate a bit on this? the download counter keeps adding values every time somebody downloads anything from the site - the same for the upload packages.
    - for <ul id="jsddm"> <a> with VegurRegular class displays serif font w/ JS, yet VegurRegular is sans serif
    Thanks....missed that one
    The site is still in BETA and the errors and problems are going to disappear as time goes on. Maybe you could give us a pointer in the direction where we should develop in the close future. Having an outside opinion is really useful.