SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Income Tax Portal - have a look?

You don't need knowledge about Income Tax or India to use / review this portal. I am aiming at individuals who know little about taxes and are looking for a quick way to efile their income tax.
    http://taxfile.in/

I have focused on making the portal very easy to use. No nonsense. No unnecessary info asked.
    The site uses a lot of ajax and js.

Feedback please? Was the site fast, and smooth? Is it too technical? Suggestions?

Also, I have put together the whole income tax filing process into a flowchart.
    http://taxfile.in/Income-tax-efiling.php
    Is the chart articulate? Where can I improve?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A nicely designed website.
    The design is light and pleasant to look at, and the flyout and dropdown animations on mouse over run perfectly, and look really cool. I like that elements respond to my mouse cursor hovering over them, like the links in the "What should you know..." cattegory... it really makes me pay attention to the text and made me click on the links, which is not the case for most sites I have visited.
    The SIGNUP/LOGIN flyouts can be a bit hard to close, since you can only close/open if you click the buttons, while clicking the background doesn't do anything. I like the captcha system, it's frustrating having to decipher some of the captcha out there - just make me do a simple math operation, really - THUMBS UP on this one.
    You might want to make your site's background color white, as I usually have my FF set to an orange background, so I wasn't seeing the clear design and style of your website.

Suggestion
    Since your site is for India, maybe you should have multiple translations of your site for the different official languages in India?
    You could use some more images/graphics on the tax planning page...the right side of the page is empty.
    The charts is ok, since tax is about a lot of dry, technical information.

All in all, a good job.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you! My focus was on making the site very responsive and smooth. Tax Planning page looks bland, yes. I'll look for images.
    Site's background - you mean body background color? Changed it to white.

Mine is a small website. Recently launched. And it's just me. I can't work on many languages. India has many official languages, and I know just two. Anyways, 99% of my target audience would prefer English.

I was also looking for feedback on the main income tax portal - which shows after you log in. Did you register? Anyways, thanks!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nish123 View Post
    Thank you! My focus was on making the site very responsive and smooth. Tax Planning page looks bland, yes. I'll look for images.
    Site's background - you mean body background color? Changed it to white.

Mine is a small website. Recently launched. And it's just me. I can't work on many languages. India has many official languages, and I know just two. Anyways, 99% of my target audience would prefer English.

I was also looking for feedback on the main income tax portal - which shows after you log in. Did you register? Anyways, thanks!
    I will provide more insight tomorrow when I get back to the office and check your registered part of the site.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was the site fast, and smooth? Is it too technical? Suggestions?

The site worked great for me. Loaded quickly, navigation was fast, mouseovers were smooth.

I don't think it was too technical. I don't know anything about paying taxes in India, but it seemed very straightforward and to the point.

The green color scheme works well since it is a financial site.

Also, I have put together the whole income tax filing process into a flowchart.
    http://taxfile.in/Income-tax-efiling.php
    Is the chart articulate? Where can I improve?

I think the flow chart is good considering the content, taxes aren't that exciting. It makes it clear how the site works.

The only suggestion I have is to try to incorporate more graphics/icons. I like the overall look, but the inner pages that have large blocks of text look sterile (planning, resources, FAQ's) a few well placed graphics would make it a bit more inviting and help draw the eye to the info you want to highlight.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Melissas!
    I chose green because it has a positive vibe and goes really well with 'tax'. I have made the chart more expressive. It's my landing page - I get 70% of my traffic there. I agree - some pages need to be more inviting. Im working on making FAQs and Tax Planning sections more appealing.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually like green from time to time for websites, if used properly. I think you use green pretty well, but I would slightly turn down the usage by maybe setting the right navigation to a more neutral color to be more gentle on the eyes on the main page. Seems like you've got a good flowing work space for your site as far as how it would probably be used by an actual user. Everything seems pretty easy to find. Not bad man.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you!
    Well, I want people's attention on the right navigation pane. I'll think of something to tone it down.

I am glad people liked the site - I have little experience in web design / development.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Portal

I was wondering if someone would have a look at the main data-entry portal; you see it post-logging in. It wont take too much time!