SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool How to create a portfolio

Sup guys. You guys have been really wonderful in here. Always get an answer to any question i ask. Am highly grateful and wont fail to contribute anyway i can.

Uhmmmm, please I'll be getting a free website from a friend that does hosting. Since i don't have anything in mind to do now, am thinking of creating a portfolio website for myself (though I've not done any job). I'll also like to blog on it.

My questions:
    1. how do i go about it cos I've not created one before?
    2. is it advise-able to blog on a portfolio website?
    3. is it advise-able to have a portfolio website when I've not done any job?

Thanks In Advance

Robert Wellock silver trophybronze trophy xhtmlcoder's Avatar
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That depends upon what you are attempting to promote; is it your graphics skills, programming prowess or something other? Obviously you can create a 'demo' of your skills though you should make it clear on the pages they are mock-ups, etc.

Not having a case study will be limiting in that you cannot really talk about the process too much but could show the final gallery, or demo site, etc.

Some people don't require portfolios if they have enough "presence" but typically a brief showcase tends to help the beginner webmaster get noticed if they cannot show actual sites they have worked upon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how to show the standalone application demo in portfolio. Desktop application. Just screenshot?

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure if you are asking a question here or giving an answer?

Quote Originally Posted by exufen View Post
    how to show the standalone application demo in portfolio. Desktop application. Just screenshot?
    Please re-arrange your words into a well known phrase or saying.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A screenshot is a picture hence wouldn't be a "demo" in any sense if it were representing webpage and all that would only show is artistic arrangement of pixels on a blank canvas (artistic concept only). An actual demo must at the least be a bare minimal markup based template that loads within a browser using normal methods.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xhtmlcoder View Post

Not having a case study will be limiting in that you cannot really talk about the process too much but could show the final gallery, or demo site, etc.
    please can you explain better? I don't get you.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can create a website as your portfolio and as a earning source through adsense, affiliate etc etc. If you want to earn from website then you have to follow many guidelines to bring traffic. Which is a 1st step of earning. Decide then go....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul O'B View Post
    I'm not sure if you are asking a question here or giving an answer?

Please re-arrange your words into a well known phrase or saying.

What i meant, usually we are used to showing reference/demo work in our portfolio which related to web based product but how do you guys reference your desktop based software in your portfolio? Hope this will clarify you.

Thanks.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Showcase as Slide, Video, Text & Images.
    Dynamic way is best.
    Lokesh Singh
    Digital Marketing
    Online Education

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sucks when you don't have any projects of your own, but then again, a lot of people want to start doing webdesign, and until they can make a name for themselves, it's hard to be noticed.
    A mock/demo portfolio site is one way to go about it, you can have multiple sections in your website, showcasing different talents you have acquired.

You can present both designs and programming, you can show your prowess on multiple types of websites/platforms.
    About the blog, you should really make a blog only if you really want to share something useful to other users, since nobody I know is interested in reading your personal journal. However, if you make your blog about your efforts in designing this, or that, setting up this script or that, it is likely to attract a lot of readers, since there are always people interested in finding out more stuff about how to set up galleries, slideshows etc.

Hope I was of some help

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, if you had a Case Study you let's say you were asked to do a site for a local school you could go into some depth how you dealt with the client and developed a product (site) that suited their needs, etc.

Since you don't have any actual 'real world' experience, i.e. actual past clients it limits you to fictitious examples for example; Frobozz Electric or Acme Corp, etc. Since neither of those two are real examples of companies you are thus limited to in scope to perhaps a simple demo rather than how you also helped them achieve X, Y and Z.

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by exufen View Post
    What i meant, usually we are used to showing reference/demo work in our portfolio which related to web based product but how do you guys reference your desktop based software in your portfolio? Hope this will clarify you.

Thanks.
    Usually, developers add a screenshot (and link) to the site for which they've done the backend/web application for along with a thorough description in which you explain what the requirements were and how you solved it (case study).
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble