SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

Email clients that don't accept HTML

I know you aren't meant to send an HTML email without sending a plain text alternative, as "some email programs don't accept HTML". But which ones? I haven't actually come across one (so far as I know). I keep stressing the importance to clients of sending a plain text version of their emails, but I'm starting to wonder why.
    Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Web Design Tips | Free Contact Form

Forum Usage: Tips on posting code samples, images and more

Forrest Gump: "IE is like a box of chocolates: you never know what you're gonna get."

Mouse catcher silver trophy Stevie D's Avatar
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lotus Notes (2006 release, and possibly others) doesn't seem to, as emails I get from people using it are always plain-text. Some webmail services such as mail2web.com are plain text only. I'm sure there are some mobile phones that have native email clients that are plain text only as well.

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Thanks Stevie. Interesting to know. I was starting to wonder if it was relevant any more.

Forrest Gump: "IE is like a box of chocolates: you never know what you're gonna get."

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy chris.upjohn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The only time i ever see HTML emails these days is either when it's a full out sparkling newsletter from Smashing Mag or someone else like them or when it's a proper campaign by a company, at work i build them all the time but when it comes to building emails at home i simply just use plain text and some inline styling sometimes to get a nicer font but apart from that i just don't see any reason why a user should have to wait for a server to send images to the client when he/she can just simply start reading why they got the email.

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chris.upjohn View Post
    The only time i ever see HTML emails these days is either when it's a full out sparkling newsletter from Smashing Mag or someone else like them or when it's a proper campaign by a company
    Sure. I do this for companies with CampaignMonitor. But they recommend you send a plain text version of these emails ... hence the question of who (if anyone) sees the plain text version.