SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    seriously... I already have a basic idea. It will not be a wave format, but more like midi. Imagine a byte like this...
    --------
    --------

I plan to use 1-6 as the note. 1+2+4+8+16+32=63 notes, 5 octaves with 3 'special' notes e.g. phone manufacturer's tune or ring tone etc. It would be like the 'compose' function on a Nokia 3210 except in a binary format. Bits 7+8 are length of note. Thats upto 3 units which I think could be 1/3 seconds. Unlike WBMPs, there is only a 3 byte header. First is type (0). Second is length in 1/3 second units. I.e. the maximum length could be 85 1/3 seconds...
    Third is the tempo.

a) How I could get phone makers to implement this?
    b) Has anyone here designed the format of any binary files before... I need help... actually, i just need a way to play a tune on my site...

thanks.. sorry if it's in the wrong forum, I could n't find a more appropiate one.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, as far as I know there isn't any unified sound format for cell phones as their is image formats (wbmp). You're obviously more informed about wireless stuff than I am, so I guess that sentence was pointless..anyways.. :P

I have a feeling that if your sound format is the only one in the works and you have it planned well then you have a much better chance in getting accepted by the cell phone/PDA makers. But someone else may be, unknown to you, making a WAP sound format. That's the only problem, 'cause it would be baaad if you lost all of your work.

I'd like workin with you on this, just drop me an e-mail at spforums@aboutpcs.com or I'll probably see you in #geekarea too.