SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where to buy trivia questions and answers

Hi there,

I'm working on an online quiz. For this project I need 3.000+ trivia questions with multiple answers (with only one of them being correct naturally). The questions/answers do not need to be unique to this project.

Does anyone know where to buy such a pack or have them produced?

Thanks
    Learn more about Solar Panel Installation

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I don't think there is anywhere you can buy pre-written questions and if there were, I imagine there are already a zillion sites that are using them.

I would look at some things like "this day in history" and create questions from those facts. However, it really depends upon what subject you want to cover with your trivia questions. What you want to do is find fact pages, i.e. sports facts, political facts, movie facts -- and use them to write your own questions.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

SitePoint Mentor silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never heard of anyone offering this sort of service. I wonder if there would be a demand for it. Let us know if you find anything.

Depending on your budget, you could consider hiring someone to create the questions in bulk. I can't imagine that it would be too difficult, and it might appeal to a student or a retired person.

Mike

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lovelogic.net Personal Projects Pit - Spammers welcome

<title class="lol"> bronze trophy TehYoyo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sogo7 View Post
    Dang. Those are pretty obscure questions.

OP: I imagine that you could hire someone to do it. It'd take a long time, though - 60 minutes, 5 questions per minute= 10 hours x 8bucks = $80 total?

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    If they are easily found on Google chances are they are already in use on several other websites.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, it wouldn't be that difficult to create the questions in bulk. I've got a vague idea for doing it in a semi-automatic way.

For example, suppose you had a list of US states and their capitals. That should be easy to find. A half-way competent programmer could then write a little script to generate the question, "What is the capital of XXX?", and another to generate, "YYY is the capital of which state?" That's 100 question straight off.

Next, get a chronological list of British monarchs. Write a script to generate "Who succeeded AAA to the British throne?" and "Who did BBB succeed to the British throne?". Do the same sort of things with US presidents, Canadian prime ministers, whatever.

I would think with a bit of imagination and some moderate programming skills, you'd soon get several tens of thousands of questions. The only problem would be sorting them out and deciding which ones to use.

Mike

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there is a web site that provides trivia questions to game developers and pub quiz hosts, tv shows etc.., they have over 300,000 questions
    http://www.triviadatabase.com

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davesun View Post
    there is a web site that provides trivia questions to game developers and pub quiz hosts, tv shows etc.., they have over 300,000 questions
    http://www.triviadatabase.com
    Thanks for posting that. This is a pretty old thread, and the original questioner doesn't appear to have been back here lately. But other forum membes might be interested in the site you linked to. It certainly looks like a useful service for those who are willing to pay the price. I wonder if they get many customers.

Mike