SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello Everyone - Need a little assistance. :)

Hello everyone. I had a site reviewed on here previously, and I appreciate all of the great advice. I have been working really hard trying to learn html and css (ahhhhh! is all i have to say), but hopefully this time I am on the right track...Well, at this point, I hope to be on any track! lol

I completely revamped my site, and am trying to write the code myself (ahhhhh! again). lol The "about us," "faqs," and "naugh-t talk..." links are operational, but the pages aren't completed yet. What I need a review on is everything else....please....

Thanks for your help, advice, critiques, and slaps across the face ahead of time.

www.naughtnotions.com

Tiff

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, great job!

I would say you need to learn some principles of design. I would say if you look at your site, everything seems to be emphasized. Ask yourself what does your visitor wants to see first? Your logo , the navigation bar? So write the order down and then give color or bold accordingly.

Just giving a quick glance, your checkered background jumps at you. Since the contrast is not that great , the logo and site name get lost. You understand what I am saying. The borders are really thick and stand out more.

And have you used Firefox firebug?

Keep up the good work!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! What is firebug?
    Do you know where I can get some help with the "principles of design?" I suck at that! lol
    When talking about the borders, do you mean the ones around the whole page or around the flash objects?
    Thanks again for the advice.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Firebug is a free add on on Firefox. You can change your CSS and see how it looks before you make changes to your actual site. Here is a tutorial on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KdNRZS-uSg

I mean the borders around the page. But that too. The borders looks more prominent than the actual content. Design is all about making the viewer look at what you want them to see. Make sense? So decide what is important to see first, second and so forth.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy a simple CSS and HTML book. I think you made the site with tables. I am not sure if people still do this. Buy the Site Point book. You can use it for reference too and save plenty of time asking questions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably the site is too simple. I suggest you use wordpress with a cool theme for this sort of website. They have many e-store themes free and premium.

The logo looks good.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read between lines that you really like coding and doing everything by yourself. I love that too and because I am more coder than artist, it was quite hard for me to make a site that looks good. In my opinion you have same problem. Maybe you should google "best design website" "coolest websites" etc. and learn from the best sites why they are so good looking.

Reading different books about css etc. is good for learning but just be carefully because thinks that were cool couple of years ago, aren't cool anymore. What comes to your site, I would take all that blinking away, it is little bit annoying and that just makes it harder to read your text. It doesn't affect the way you want (doesn't make me see important parts better). You could just use different font size or different color so people would more easily see important pieces of your text.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site looks simple but I personally feel..you can make it better. You can bring in more contents and t-shirt styles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is very nice website make it more better designing. No more comments. it's really nice one.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you to everyone!!! I really appreciate your honest feedback. Once again, I am taking your advice and am studying css and xhtml coding. I am also broadening my horizons (lol) and including javascript and jquery to see if I can understand and utilize those, too. I have been incognito on the board for a couple of days due to just being busy doing all this studying, but I promise to be back on in a couple more days with more website reviews...not for me, but for other people. I think this site is a really cool way for us to all help each other better our trade. Thanks again, and see you all soon!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello folks! I'm back! I have read, learned, broken dishes, and more to get to this point...lol just kidding. But seriously, I worked my tail off on this friggin site! I tried to teach myself the css and html and I have integrated the store now. Please take another look at it for me and let me know what you think. We are getting tons of hits, but thus far, no sales. Any ideas would be great! Thanks again for all of your help.

url: www.naughtnotions.com

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    I haven't read the comments above, byut my first impression is that I don't know how your site works. If I click on T-shirts, for example, they are all plain. So how do I get one with something funny on it? It's really not clear, and I would probably give up at that point. Always make it really clear how things work, straight away.
    Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Web Design Tips | Free Contact Form

Forum Usage: Tips on posting code samples, images and more

Forrest Gump: "IE is like a box of chocolates: you never know what you're gonna get."

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, ralph! that is a really good point. i added some content to hopefully fix that problem. i also changed the menu names a little to help. maybe that will make it a little easier. thanks for the assistance. every little bit helps.

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    OK, I had another try. I can sort of guess the process from the text on the home page, but I'd prefer it if it were more explicit.

anyhow, I tried 'picking an item' by choosing a plain t-shirt. Then tried choosing a design. But it wasn't really clear which design related to which name in the drop list, so I really didn't know quite what I was choosing. When I went to checkout, I had no real sense of what I was buying, as there was no associated image.

I think it would be good to imaging being a complete newbie to the site and imagining what it's like to find your way around. You are probably losing a huge number of sales because it's hard to work out how the process works and what you are actually buying.

I admire how much you've achieved already, but honestly, the process isn't clear enough to convince me to part with money ...
    Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Web Design Tips | Free Contact Form

Forum Usage: Tips on posting code samples, images and more

Forrest Gump: "IE is like a box of chocolates: you never know what you're gonna get."

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel that the prime real estate on your site is wasted, where it says "We Are NOT Just A T-Shirt Company!" Should have your logo and then change this line to something like "more than just a t shirt company" Always avoid the negitive and the "not" could confuse people that do not read well... Not t shirt company? Bye Bye then, hits back button on browser.

SitePoint Evangelist Scott.Botkins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the top of this website I would recommend a jquery slider of some sort to make it more interactive/alive. For example have that "more than a t-shirt company" in the first slide and then the next slide would begin showing or explaining why you are. You could show off deals and other stuff too.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a clear, readable site. I was not quite sure at first what "bothered" me. I think I know now. To me there is a disconnect between the "decorations" of the site and the content. (I hope I can explain this impression.) From the "lips" image and side scrolling and name of the site, I was expecting it to be risque. The content is not risque. It is boxy tees and sweats. While boxy tees and sweats are some of my favorite clothes, if I landed at your site, even though the initial product pics look like that's what you have, I wouldn't stay to investigate. If I was looking for some "naughty" risque-wear, which it looks like might be there, I would click a few items but move on because I'd see unappealing (as risque-wear) plain old tees and sweats. It's as if the site has two personalities, in conflict, neither winning.

ps i am totally new at web-things and am very impressed with how much you were able to do. My "impressions" are what I would think as a prospective purchaser who got to your site as part of a search.
    Last edited by Crumbles; Jul 14, 2012 at 12:59. Reason: added "PS"