SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All feedback apreciated. JWphotography portfolio page 2.0

The first time around I decided I wanted to build everything in Dreamweaver(and every one here saved my bacon!!). Problem was I NEVER updated any of my work. So this time round I have used a wordpress theme.

I guess this is probably not ideal. But I figure the fact that I will actively update the page out ways any negatives. Thoughts ??

Im New to web design and a WordPress virgin but I can make my way around CSS and im happy to learn any PHP I need. So feel free to be fairly tough on me. I take constructive criticism well. Thanks in advance all!

Its a work in progress so I know there are big problems with the content . . .. point them out anyway chances are I missed them

jwphotographynz.com

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    It's certainly a nice theme. But as soon as I see a site that relies heavily on JavaScript, I get touchy. If you turn JS off (which some people do) the site breaks in a lot of places (such as the navigation—particularly the dropdown and Portfolio main link). Best practice is to add in JS just as an enhancement, bt to make sure that everything still works without it.
    Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Web Design Tips | Free Contact Form

Forum Usage: Tips on posting code samples, images and more

Forrest Gump: "IE is like a box of chocolates: you never know what you're gonna get."

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I liked:

* The design is very clean and well laid out
    * The slideshow with the large photos is awesome.

What I didn't like:

* I found the box that appears when you hover over the slideshow annoying. I think the text should either be there to begin with or not at all.
    * It wasn't immediately obvious to me what the double arrows meant in the navigation
    * When I hovered over the recent works images I didn't know what each icon meant and where is was going to take me

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Over all I like it

-on the slide show, make the box appear with the same effect as the images change as it is not something that should be left to hovering.
    - the duble arrows in the navigation should point down (and maybe only one arrow)

In the portfolio pages there is no big different in the main title ("Personal") and the image titles ("Before And After: The talking cat art studio")
    - in this case I would recommend the images to be bigger (it looks like about 600px wide would work) and have the titles ( ie "Before And After: The talking cat art studio") apper like this BUT in your case it be much better (and we are talking about the portfolio image not the slide show

Also your forms let the design down (you need to give them a style, and not just almost leaving them as they are normaly)

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I thought it was a nice-looking theme but could use a little splash of color somewhere. Right now the only color is coming from the photographs. But maybe this was your intention? To draw attention to the photographs and not to the site itself?

SitePoint Enthusiast hypernovadesign's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dear jes.2xu

Generally, the layout and design of the website is very good. The quality of images shown is perfect!

Bearing in mind this is a portfolio website, try to incorporate some of the social network icons (maybe shown on the bottom), so it will be easier for people to follow you, plus the promoting side of your website will boost itself.

The only one thing that you could improve is the slider on the home page. When you put your mouse arrow over it, some additional box with text appears on the right with the "read more" clickable button. Ideally, I would use other plugin for the slider that enables clicking straight on the image in order to jump to another page and displays additional text on the bottom of each picture.

Thanks