SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How can I achieve a grid of portfolio entries in Wordpress?

I'm converting my site to Wordpress, and the area giving me the most trouble is the portfolio section.

http://keithpickering.zxq.net/portfolio/

This is the non-wordpress version, where each project has a folder of its own containing an images folder and a php file for the title, client, and description. Using PHP, the portfolio page creates thumbnails for each one of these project folders. Click on a thumbnail, and it creates a page for the portfolio entry by displaying the information and the content of the images folder in a slideshow. It opens that page in a fancybox window.

I need to know the best way to achieve this exact effect in Wordpress, but with each one of these portfolio entries being a fully-functioning, searchable post.

If this isn't possible, I'll just continue with the PHP scripts I'm using right now. But that would be kind of counter-intuitive, since I'd have to do work outside of wordpress with directories and files just to update my portfolio.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its doable in wordpress. Here is something that I think would work:

• create a category called projects or something u find nice
    • create a post for each project on the portfolio. make sure to assign projects category for them.
    • create image gallery for each of these projects and assign them to the project. there are some nice plugins for this.
    • now to display the project list on the portfolio page create a PHP code widget. Loop through each post for the project category. Here you should be able to control how to display them.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My biggest problem is figuring out how to get the images from the post to display in a slideshow

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spritanium View Post
    My biggest problem is figuring out how to get the images from the post to display in a slideshow
    Get Post Id And then get images or media using bellow code.
    $args = array(
    'post_type' => 'attachment',
    'numberposts' => null,
    'post_status' => null,
    'post_parent' => $post->ID
    );
    $attachments = get_posts($args);

Thanks

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://keithpickering.zxq.net/wordpress/portfolio/ Here's where I am now. I changed index.php so the loop would be different for posts in the Portfolio category. I also excluded the Portfolio category from the Blog page and Category list.

Now I'm pretty much stuck; I can't figure out how to give a custom template to the posts so when they're opened in Fancybox it doesn't just bring up another copy of the site.