SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hello,

I am 15 years old and live in the UK. I would really appreciate any comments or suggestions about my site,

http://www.thecarspy.com

Thanks for your help,
    bye - jake
    jake@thecarspy.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like the design of your site.

Althought I think you should \"compress\" a little bit the amount of text of the main page.
    I have found some \"bugs\": in the londonmotorshow there\'s no menu to go back unless the main page. In \"spotlight\" put the options below the \'choose your story\' because it seems to appear nothing.
    But as i said, i like your site.

Bye!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for that feedback >> don\'t know if you can tell me, but if you look at my page through netscape, the colours that create borders on my main page (left coloumn) aren\'t there. I can\'t figure out how to make them work in both IE and Netscape .... you can see it can be done at sites such as http://www.amazon.co.uk .. on my site I use \'cellspacing\' to create the border...

thanks again,
    jake@thecarspy.com
    http://www.thecarspy.com

Freelance Web Designer KeithMcL's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not bad.

Few things I noticed that could do with being changed (some are very trivial).

The navigate menu border color should be the same as the monthly newsletter one. The first 4 letters are in bold and the rest aren\'t.

The Small - Sporty - S60 graphic is very fuzzy (was it designed that way?)

Think you should use bullets instead of the > with the underline.

Last thing is you dont have a link to get back >home< when you go deeper into the site.

bar the above it looks good.

rgds,

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ---------DETAILS-----------
    Browser and Version: MS Internet Explorer 5.01
    Screen Resolution: 1024x768 on 15\"
    Colors: 24 bit high colour
    Operating System: MS Windows 2000 Pro
    Javascript Enabled: Yes
    Cookies enabled: Yes
    Connection speed: 56k modem
    ---------------------------

I am pretty impressed with the site, although I have a couple of pointers:

• Loading time seemed pretty slow
    • I also found the Small Sporty S60 graphic hard to read
    • When someone does the poll on the left, it should take them to a page where people can view the results in some kind of chart/graph (like SitePoint\'s polls do)
    • In the Navigate box on the top-left, make the text (eg Release Dates) links as well, so that people can click both the text and the two-letter abbreviation.

Other than what I have said above, I think its a good site.
    Well Done

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi again,
    i\'ve seen it in netscape just now and i noticed there are no borders in the menu table.
    I think you have to make a \'main table\' with 1 pixel of padding and then a \'subtable\' with 1 pixel between cells.
    Another method, but less effective is to make a table with cells with 1 pixel gif inside. Test it!

I\'ve also looked your font code and there are errors. In the menu you must put </font> before the initals (SN, RD...)
    And also you should compress your images. In IE you can see the total weight of the images in a page and there are 30 images with 123187 bytes, that is 38sec. at 28.8k. You can convert some images (such as volvo promo) to .jpg because it works better in \"photos\".

If you want you can test free your site at netmechanic.com or do it if your editor has this option. ACEexpert is what i use to correct.

I think that\'s all by now.

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like the design and the color scheme, but the site loaded pretty slow for me... Interesting articles, especially the one about Mitsubishi (I\'ll finish reading later). One criticism though: you should have a welcome explaining what your site is instead of just throwing visitors into your articles at first. Good luck with the site.

David | http://www.web-master.tv
    Web-Master.TV 2.0 - The channel for webmasters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a high-speed, cable-modem (RoadRunner - Time Warner) and gave-up waiting for it to load.

If I wanted to see your site, and quit, what are the viewers with slow-modems going to do?

Elton
    Elton Kelly / ANETEK
    ANETEK.com ... ANETSTORE.com ... 10MAX.com
    eCommerce Website-design - downloading within 10-seconds @ 28.8-Kbps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok - loads fast im on an isdn connection *snicker* if you can call it that lol. Nice simple yet effective design a rating of 3 out of 5.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its a great site..i like it because of the design...and you seem to know what you\'re doing
    but you should really make it more readable..you should have more free space between the text and paragraphs...maybe divide news and articles in different groups or something...and there\'s a lack of images on your page...however design is really cool, so you can make your page even better with some corrections.

bye,
    Mare

P.S. I had no problems with loading speed. In fact, it loaded quite fast.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice design and layout man Keep up the good work

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ---------DETAILS-----------
    Browser and Version: MS Internet Explorer 5.5
    Screen Resolution: 1280x960 on 15"
    Colors: 16 bit high color
    Operating System: MS Windows 98
    Javascript Enabled: Yes
    Cookies enabled: Yes
    Connection speed: 56k modem

I like your website. It's easy to read and uses quick-loading original art, and the source code seems well-organized.

I don't know whether the links are broken or if they aren't meant to be links at all, but I find myself wanting to click on "about thecarspy.com," "privacy statement," and "contact information."

As for the idea to use >> instead of buttons or simply making the original word the link, I think it shows creativity. Keep up the good work.

Finally, I suggest doing something with that gray space in the table displaying the Audi Allroad and the Citroen Picasso. Another picture, or reduce the gray space.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i like your site. i think you should compress it a little bit to reduce vertical scrolling. add some color, i'm unable to understand what is the function of grey cells. i'de like to move your "cover picture" and news menu in an upper position on your homepage, if i came back often is because i'm lookin' for news and i like to find them as soon as possible...
    Simone Lippolis
    Milan, Italy
    www.hotservices.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought of something else. On your headings in the sidebar such as Articles, Resources, Reviews, etc., try changing them to a sans-serif font like "Arial, Helvetica" size="2" and bolding them. That might help them to stand out better.
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums