Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Mentor silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Love / Hate Relationship with my site!

Hi guys,

I really wanted a second eye on my website. I've put this up here before, but now it went under a redesign. It's continiuously evolving and I wanted to know if it's evolution is a good or bad thing. I still have lots to do on this site. I am thinking of putting a shopping cart. I am not too sure on it's color scheme.

Any comments would really be appreciated. I don't normally fuss over websites like this, but it's increasingly harder as this is my own site.
    follow me on ayyelo, Easy WordPress; specializing in setting up themes!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think your website is fine and website should be constantly evolving and getting better, but I have 3 criticisms.

I think the biggest issue is there are no examples of your work on the website. I don't exactly know what I'm buying without them.

Secondly there just some inconsistencies with your imager slider and the image itself on the home page. For example you have text "Web design with character" overlapping the text on the image "Prickly Pear Media". It's a bit clumsy and shows you haven't considered how the text and image interact.

And last of all the loading time is a bit long - I think you should be able to reduce this.

ps. I think your copyright text may be a bit too bold.

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I absolutely love it! I love the illustrations and I dig the color contrast you have on your site. It's a huge improvement to the previous versions I've seen.

Three things:

1) Your "About" page has nothing about you. I don't know who I'm interacting with. I'd really add a few lines about the people involved.

2) I'd do away with the slideshow at the top. Instead, I'd prominently list all four services on the pages. I had to look twice to even see the little controls. I would suggest to beef up the content, lose the Javascript, and place these services directly on the pages.

3) The load times are very bad on my end. Perhaps you should go over the code and see if you can trim it. Also, you may find some pointers from this article.

There isn't much else for me to say. I really like your style.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

SitePoint Enthusiast mobilegames's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great.your site looks great particularly your logo and color scheme.I think adding a faq section would also be great

billycundiff{float:left;} silver trophybronze trophy RyanReese's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're site looks good, though I was a bit offput at the images of hte pear and the aliens. Not a bad thing, since I got a chuckle out of it.

Right now on your main content area, it's off to the left. Looks a bit weird with a lot of space on the right.

9/10
    Twitter-@Ryan_Reese09
    http://www.ryanreese.us -Always looking for web design/development work

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am working on it guys, sorry for the delay. I put the site on a CDN for performance but since it uses SSL for the login I had to get rid of it considering I am on the FREE cloud flare service. So give me a moment and I will change things. :P

PS: everybody get's a chuckle out of Prickly!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It loaded fine for me. The cartoony images might overtake what you are doing.. but it is not too bad. I would be careful not to go overboard.

The issue I would have is, that if I were looking for a corporate design, your site might turn me off. You might want to have samples of different flavors of your designs somewhere that easy to access.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, first problem I had is it took me 6/7 seconds to load up lol never good. the text above the images I dont really like. It looks like poor HTML skills in all honesty. however the banners them self look AWESOME. I give you alot of credit for that!.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The site is down. I am very sorry for this. It's best to withdraw from reviewing until I get a full restoration. Sorry for this. I assure you I do not have poor HTML skills, but I sincerely understand as it looks pretty damn poor! Sorry.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, first of all good job Sega. Website loads up very fast. But, the thing I don't like with your website is font. Also, you have some problems with About Us page. Overall, website looks good. Pay attention to color scheme and all that stuff. And also include BUY image on the front-page. Trust me, you will get more buyers.

SitePoint Enthusiast claire0917's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The slider is great and the image at the bottom is cute but I think most would have missed it since it's way below, It took a long time for everything to load. The links are broken so i'm not able to view your posts/works.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @claire0917 ;

The site is broken, but I will fix this today. The links broke down after I used W3TC, for some strange reason. I'd post something up when the site is working again.

SitePoint Enthusiast Albablue89's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Link doesn't load for me.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried but I could not access it.
    "PricklyPear Media is Down for Maintenance"

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's back online, now, but I am working on it so you guys might see changes.

@newsheadlines ; @Albablue89 ; @claire0917 ;

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the images. The design is also very appealing. But it gets boring. Most of the pages are filled with blobs of text - no one wants to read that. You're losing reader's attention. Use images, headings, sub-headings.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @nish123 ; you're right, This has to change. Thanks for your comments. I have already changed quite a lot of things, but I will keep changing them, not sure when these changes will stop.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love the overall look of the site. Love the design concept.

The colour scheme works well as the darker background helps showcase your portfolio better for your customers to see. Well done on some great design and strong brand imaging for your business. Love the font.

I would just say if nothing is defined well enough or doesn't currently have a purpose, remove it from the users view. The phrase 'Let's Code It' for example. Don't know what that means.

Secondly, perhaps you could put a link to your pricing information under website design somewhere. You were probably thinking that already.

Good luck with your great website.

Clayton.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @claytonwest ;

I know, let's code it will be another service. I am on the verge of launching several other services link to this site. It's been a little busy over the weekend getting things ready, but I am eventually going to open up sub-sites alongside it.

I need to put the pricing somewhere. I am hoping to make this eCommerce driven, so people can pay for things online. The pricing is not really a secret, so ye, I want to add some pricing in there too.

Thanks for your comments, soon there is going to be other baby websites to go along with this.

Thanks again for the compliments

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it so thanks.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your comments, it's wonderful that I got such good reception for this.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why am I getting a massive pop up asking if I want to accept cookies. I would leave any site that did this immediately.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why am I getting a massive pop up asking if I want to accept cookies. I would leave any site that did this immediately.
    It's the new cookie law. - http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_organisati...e/cookies.aspx. Normally cookies are accepted on your browser by default.

I can quite easily disable this as it's a WordPress plug-in.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's 11 errors on the site according to the W3C validator, ironic considering what your home page says!

There's a grammatical error on your contact form:

"We'll response with 3-days" should be "We'll respond within 3 days."

Other than that, very nice looking site.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sega View Post
    It's the new cookie law. - http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_organisati...e/cookies.aspx. Normally cookies are accepted on your browser by default.

I can quite easily disable this as it's a WordPress plug-in.
    I implemented that same solution at the company I last worked for - for a webdesign company I'd leave it off though. Maybe mention somewhere you can implement such solutions if required.