SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool. Thanks. I think I'll only put a _few_ programs and games on winME so I _should_ be safe... Or maybe I'll just keep Win98 and save a few $$.

Thanks,
    Owen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this may be a bit off topic, but what are some advantages of using winME? I have only heard about it a few times, and I was curious about it.

Thanks!

Chris Roane

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by wsresource
    I know this may be a bit off topic, but what are some advantages of using winME? I have only heard about it a few times, and I was curious about it.

Thanks!

Chris Roane
    From what I've heard, it's not that good. You'll rather wait for Whistler, the next Windows version.

For requests for help and tips on using WinME, you can visit the Anandtech forums:

http://forums.anandtech.com
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by James

While that does actually work, its not a particularly good idea to mix OSes on the same drive. Look in your Program Files folder, there is a folder called Common Files.
    Both OSes place some of their programs and DLLs in there - if two OSes tried to place different versions of files in there problems could occur.
    Unless those are your device drivers then you won't have a problem. DLL's compiled for Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 95 were slightly different. With Windows 98 and Win2K there are virtually no differences in the API. There will be even fewer between Win2K and WinME. Any system critical files must be installed in the Windows System directories so that they can be cataloged at bootup, otherwise they simply won't work. The DLL's you find in the common folders are specific to the application or manufacturer that created them. If he was using Windows 95 then I wouldn't have recommended it. But since even Microsoft is dropping support for 95 in new development then people will be upgrading if they haven't already.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One last question (maybe I should make a new thread for this...)

If I install ME (or 98) after 2000 it overwrites the MBR, right? (Does with linux anyway.) How do I get it back or do I need to install 98/ME first? I know with linux and windows running format /mbr fixed it, but how would I boot into 2k to fix it?

Thanks,
    Owen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whilst we're on the topic of hard drives and partitioning, i thought i'd slip in this question: In my new computer, which i'm about to start to build, there will be a 17.2Gig primary hard drive, and a 2Gig slave. What would be the best way to arrange the partitions etc. so that I can run Linux and Win 98? Would it be a good idea to dedicate the 2GB drive soley to swap space?

Also, what's the best OS Loader to use at boot up?

[Edited by Optic on 08-29-2000 at 02:49 PM]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Linux World

I can answer this one. You only need the amount of RAM you have as swap space (unless you have less than 128 megs in which case you should double it.) Therefore 128 meg swap for 128 megs of RAM (or however much you have) is all the swap you need. You'll see no speed up (infact probably a slow down) from having too much swap. I suggest giving Linux the entire 2 gig hard drive and running Windows on the first partition of the primary hard drive. Linux takes very little space (1 gig for more progs than you can ever use) and very little bloatware exists for Linux. You can always repartition the secondary partition of your primary drive if you want more space for Linux.

RedHat and SuSe will automatically (I believe) pick optimal partitions on the drive of your choice for you if you select "Workstation" install.

The standard (and the one you have to be able to boot up with at least one time for more distros) is LILO. For IDE drives LILO has to be within the first 500 (or something like that) blocks (about 500 megs) of the hard drive to boot up. Therefore Windows 98 and Linux could not co-exist on the same IDE drive. You can use other boot managers such as the Win2k one or System Commander but they are a little tricky to setup. I think there are some HOWTOs on this issue.

Owen

PS> This is my 400th post.

Originally posted by Optic
    Whilst we're on the topic of hard drives and partitioning, i thought i'd slip in this question: In my new computer, which i'm about to start to build, there will be a 17.2Gig primary hard drive, and a 2Gig slave. What would be the best way to arrange the partitions etc. so that I can run Linux and Win 98? Would it be a good idea to dedicate the 2GB drive soley to swap space?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, that's helped a lot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Optic

I can answer this one

For my double boot system, I'm using OSloader 2000 (it's shareware, but has no functions disabled except the timer) this tiny (and safe) program is available on Download.com

note: you'll need to have access to the DOS prompt to install it. The best way to install it is by using bootfloppy and install OSL2000 (that's the name of the program on Download.com!) from a floppy.

Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oops... I forgot about an other boot manager... XOSL
    Please note that XOSL is distributed under the terms of the General Public License (GPL.

I haven't tried this one, but I think you could take the risk.

The site: http://www.xosl.org