SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I am having a lot of problems with another pc.

I was wondering if anyone new of a way on how to format a whole hardrive, without having to go into Windows. I would really appreciate any help on this, because I have been trying to figure out how to do this for days.

Thanks!

Chris Roane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont belive you can format a drive from windows...but anyways. Start the comptuer with a boot disk that has format.exe on it. Then at the command prompt type "format c:" where c: is the drive letter you want to format.

maybe someone else could clarify this a bit...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just looking at this post and realised the topic is Major CPU problem. How come you say CPU but you want to reformat your harddrive?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you can do it from the BIOS (or maybe that was a low level format...)

Owen

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by jumpthru
    I was just looking at this post and realised the topic is Major CPU problem. How come you say CPU but you want to reformat your harddrive?
    CPU is used sometimes as an abbreviation of ComPUter. Don't ask me why, but I saw my (younger) brother use it sometimes.

About the question: you can just use a bootfloppy and type

format c:

Well, since the root directory of Windows is always on the c disk, I guess that that is what you'll have to type...

This is of course my way to do it, I don't expect others to follow it.
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't have a boot disk, then you can make one from the Add-Remove Programs option in the Windows 98 control panel.
    The Windows root folder isn't always on C:, when you install Windows you can choose where to put it.
    My friend (for some weird reason) has it on drive F.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

jumpthru: Yes, I was using "CPU" as a term for "Computer". I gais that is one of my bad habbits.

I actually already have a bootdisk, but I just didn't know how to format the drive.

I sure hope this will fix everything. I will reply to this thread, with an update if formatting the drive worked or not (in solving the problem).

Thanks everyone!

Chris Roane

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just for those who think it can't be done...

You can reformat any writable drive in Windows by right-clicking on it and choosing Format.

Most BIOS utilities offer both a low-level and a high-level format option but I recommend against using them because some will try to re-track your hard drive and make it useless.

I also find it funny that a reformat is thought to be the only fix to a Windows problem when if you stated the problem I could have probably walked you through it and fixed the problem itself instead of being led to think its fixed by a destructive act.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But you must admit that starting from scratch is the easiest way to solve a problem in Windows

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea but can you format the drive that windows in on?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Elledan
    But you must admit that starting from scratch is the easiest way to solve a problem in Windows

Actually no.. If I start from Scratch I can lose 3 years worth of work and enhancements. I haven't formatted my hard drive in that long using Windows and it still works great. Just re-installing my software will take me 3-4 days as I currently have 30 CD's worth of Software installed on the machine. Then I have to go in and optimize Windows so it can handle the 1.3 gigabytes worth of system information stored in the Windows folder. I would prefer to keep the PC running properly than try to restore it and lose a week of time at the very least. Of course this involves installing the software in a proper order to make sure that System health is maintained and new upgrades won't bring down the system. A lot of pain and time went into my current setup and its constantly being revised to be made better but in a safe and orderly fashion.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, got the point, Wayne. Actually I was referring to 'normal' Windows users (like me) who can easily backup important files, format the HD, reinstall Windows, put back the backed up files and have the whole system running again within 2-3 hours.

In your situation things are different so forgive me for being so careless...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many of us less intelligent Windows users (read: me) install every stinking program and game we can find on the Internet. Each adds DLLs which can't be easily removed (how do I know only one program uses qxd955.dll?) and registry entries. the computer than slows down, incompatable versions of software/dlls popup, and crashes occur more frequently. Sometimes it is easier (and safer) to restore from scratch than it is to try to fix the problems. Of course, if you are smart and only install non-beta reliable softare that you need and use then you probably can go a long time w/out reinstalling. (I know I did that on my Mac.) I actually keep everything except windoze and installed programs on my D: drive, though I would admitedly hate to loose my bookmarks/preferences.

wluke (or anyone else, though I imagine he knows)> can you install Windows ME on a partition besides C:? The reason I ask is that I have 2 hard drives and my first (C is my fastest, largest, and latest so I would like to put Win2k on it. Win2K will be my primary platform, but I also want Win ME to play games, (do as above), and so on. Is this possible? (I didn't want to start a new thread for this.)

Thanks,
    Owen

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Technically your only supposed to have one Active (or bootable) partition which becomes the C: Drive usually.

Why can't you install Win2k and WinME on the same drive? Win2K supports FAT32 so you don't have to rely on FAT16 for your drive interface. Install WIN2K in one directory say "WIN2K" and install WinME in a second directory such as "WINME".
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    theres a handy utility that comes with most windows... I cant remember whether it comes with win me... just checking... (handy tip... if you want to find files in cab files fast, use start|find in files or whatever... enter filename as search for text and select the folder with the cabs in, for file type, *.cab. It's in base2.cab...

any way, use this to partition your drive... simple.. one partition for windows... one for your swapfile... one for linux, one for apps... your sorted ;-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Those of you curious about what was wrong with my cpu, her it is.

It wasn't really my computer, it was my parents computer. What was happening was right after the windows login screen loaded, the computer crashed. I couldn't even get the computer started in safe mode, because it kept on freezing at the same, exact point. I had been trying to get into safe mode for a little over a week and I couldn't do it. I re-installed windows, I ran all sorts of utilities that might be able find and fix the problem but nothing seemed to work. I had already called the computers manufacturer's tech support (without getting any usefull help) and I was about to call Microsoft (which offcourse would cost me some money), but I decided that it would just be better to start from scratch. There were hardly any programs installed on the machine and it was mainly used to read email and surf the web.

It took me about 30-60 minutes to install most of the software that was previously on the machine, before I reformatted hard drive. I wish I had just formatted the drive right when the problem occured, because it would have saved me a lot of time.

I would have probably learned a lot more about computers, if I did a lot more research to try to solve the problem. But, I just didn't have the time. I am busy programming a complicated CMS (Content Management System) for my upcoming site, so I don't have much extra time to mess with that sort of stuff.

Cya,

Chris Roane

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by wluke
    Technically your only supposed to have one Active (or bootable) partition which becomes the C: Drive usually.

Why can't you install Win2k and WinME on the same drive? Win2K supports FAT32 so you don't have to rely on FAT16 for your drive interface. Install WIN2K in one directory say "WIN2K" and install WinME in a second directory such as "WINME".
    Owen, he's right (of course) win2k (at least the version I got) comes with a boot sector program that can use ntloader to load either os// the setup should give you the option of keeping your original OS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My father has re-installed all his software at least several times...I think most users (like myself) would only need one full day to get most aspects back to the way they were...obviously it's not for more advanced users.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wluke > Oh. That's too easy. I always thought that the "Program Files" directory would conflict. (ie. Norton Antivirus or MS Office for Win2k and ME.) You could make 2 seperate directories but I know I would always forget. Or do I just need to be careful not to install the same thing on both?

anti_alias > thanks. I'm running it off my E: drive right now which is quite slow (less 10 mb/sec). The little loader is quite nifty, isn't it? I use it to do Win98,2k (I wanted to try it out first), and Linux.

Thanks again, now back to wsresource's problem.
    Owen

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Owen
    wluke > Oh. That's too easy. I always thought that the "Program Files" directory would conflict. (ie. Norton Antivirus or MS Office for Win2k and ME.) You could make 2 seperate directories but I know I would always forget. Or do I just need to be careful not to install the same thing on both?

anti_alias > thanks. I'm running it off my E: drive right now which is quite slow (less 10 mb/sec). The little loader is quite nifty, isn't it? I use it to do Win98,2k (I wanted to try it out first), and Linux.

Thanks again, now back to wsresource's problem.
    Owen
    Just install your applications on top of themselves for each Windows OS. This not only saves disk space but keeps your drive cleaner. Any system specific files such as DLL's will be stored in the <%WINSYS%> Directory which is defined by the OS at bootup based upon its installation directory. Only problem you would have is uninstalling an application later, so keep your trials and demos on one OS.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just for those who think it can't be done...

You can reformat any writable drive in Windows by right-clicking on it and choosing Format.
    But can you format the one that windows is on?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel a bit late, but anyways..

"What was happening was right after the windows login screen loaded, the computer crashed. I couldn't even get the computer started in safe mode, because it kept on freezing at the same, exact point. I had been trying to get into safe mode for a little over a week and I couldn't do it." - wsresource

The exact same thing happened to me except I had to go through three weeks of tech support hell and you didn't

It turned out that the senior MS rep would get a team to look into it but that they couldn't help me. So you did the right thing in going ahead and formatting it.

What a coincidence..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by d3v
    I feel a bit late, but anyways..

"What was happening was right after the windows login screen loaded, the computer crashed. I couldn't even get the computer started in safe mode, because it kept on freezing at the same, exact point. I had been trying to get into safe mode for a little over a week and I couldn't do it." - wsresource

The exact same thing happened to me except I had to go through three weeks of tech support hell and you didn't

It turned out that the senior MS rep would get a team to look into it but that they couldn't help me. So you did the right thing in going ahead and formatting it.

What a coincidence..
    Yea the excact same thing happened to me too. I ended up with a brand new computer replacement. I have learned so much though since then (last year in march) and probably could have fixed it. I recently reinstalled a new motherboard in this computer. Well, you live and learn, but I still think that after a while OS decay sets in and a good 'ol reformat is great. As time passes though and you learn SO much more eveyrone developes there own routine for keeping the computer in tip top shape. I think wayne has probably got it down to a T though. I would love to see his computer and how he has it set up. Okay, bye.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    d3v: I am glad that I did decide to format the drive then. Atleast now I know that I wasn't the only one to have that same problem.

Chris Roane

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While that does actually work, its not a particularly good idea to mix OSes on the same drive. Look in your Program Files folder, there is a folder called Common Files.
    Both OSes place some of their programs and DLLs in there - if two OSes tried to place different versions of files in there problems could occur.