SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Website Designers website review request...

We would like some constructive comments about our website at Sims Website Designs please.

In particular we would like to know how easy it is use, how you found it to find the information you wanted, how easy it is to contact us and the likely conversion rates of trying to hook you into contacting us.

Our traffic rates are quite good and hopefully our designs are appealing, but I feel that we should perhaps get more enquires and we often answer telephone calls from people asking "If we do website design" or "If we do ecommerce websites", which seems a bit odd as these are listed clearly on our website.

We may be 'too close' to the site to see any glaring issues, so if you are able to spend some time reviewing it and offering up some thoughts that would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Steve,

The site loads quite slowly for me. I took a look at the markup and I think you could reduce it by 50%. Not that the markup is the only cause for the slow loading times, but you could improve it. Drew McLellan wrote a comprehensive article on factors to consider when optimizing a site for speed.

The introductory slogan could be misleading to some. Saying "Our Company" could mean that you have a company that does web design, rather than you actually being that company. I'd do away with the possessive pronoun and instead work with personal pronouns.

The same goes for the heading in the section below it: "Popular Web Design Services". This again feels like you're not talking about you but someone else, so these two headings (this one and the above) might lead to the confusion you're experiencing.

As a potential customer, I'm wondering why the "Request a quote" button comes before the "Portfolio" button. I'd switch them around as I'd want to see your work before making a decision.

In your "Popular Web Design Services", you have "Professional website design" as one category and "Small business websites". What's the difference? Is the latter not professional? Aren't all your services professional? I find that confusing. Furthermore, the orange you used for the links below it are very hard to read (lack of contrast).

The homepage's body copy has quite a few errors (syntax/grammar) that even I, a non-native English speaker, can instantly detect. You're from the UK, so I do expect you to master your own language. Perhaps it'd make sense to hire a professional copywriter?

And then there are the orange links on grey text (and they're not much better on white text, either). I cannot read them. I'd really get rid of that shade of orange for links and use a darker shade instead.

I find the captcha in the contact form to be unnecessary. It's hard to read and one more step I have to take to get in touch with you. It shouldn't be needed.

My biggest beef with your site, however, is, as I've noted in the comments above, the writing. It's the Achilles' Heel of your site to me as I value good and well-written content, and if that isn't provided, then I'll likely move on.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent feedback - Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by kohoutek View Post
    Hi Steve,

The site loads quite slowly for me. I took a look at the markup and I think you could reduce it by 50%. Not that the markup is the only cause for the slow loading times, but you could improve it. Drew McLellan wrote a comprehensive article on factors to consider when optimizing a site for speed.

The introductory slogan could be misleading to some. Saying "Our Company" could mean that you have a company that does web design, rather than you actually being that company. I'd do away with the possessive pronoun and instead work with personal pronouns.

The same goes for the heading in the section below it: "Popular Web Design Services". This again feels like you're not talking about you but someone else, so these two headings (this one and the above) might lead to the confusion you're experiencing.

As a potential customer, I'm wondering why the "Request a quote" button comes before the "Portfolio" button. I'd switch them around as I'd want to see your work before making a decision.

In your "Popular Web Design Services", you have "Professional website design" as one category and "Small business websites". What's the difference? Is the latter not professional? Aren't all your services professional? I find that confusing. Furthermore, the orange you used for the links below it are very hard to read (lack of contrast).

The homepage's body copy has quite a few errors (syntax/grammar) that even I, a non-native English speaker, can instantly detect. You're from the UK, so I do expect you to master your own language. Perhaps it'd make sense to hire a professional copywriter?

And then there are the orange links on grey text (and they're not much better on white text, either). I cannot read them. I'd really get rid of that shade of orange for links and use a darker shade instead.

I find the captcha in the contact form to be unnecessary. It's hard to read and one more step I have to take to get in touch with you. It shouldn't be needed.

My biggest beef with your site, however, is, as I've noted in the comments above, the writing. It's the Achilles' Heel of your site to me as I value good and well-written content, and if that isn't provided, then I'll likely move on.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking forward to some more excellent replies like the one above...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The website looks awesome and loads quite fast for me! I even use my cell phone for internet access.
    I think that images and layout are great and it is a good example how to make an attractive design!
    Keep it up and good luck!
    Submit your URL for free at Open Directory www.livewebmap.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The overall look of your site is impressive, loading speed is also good. Nothing much to suggest as its already looking good, but you can change the background of footer section to some dark color instead of white bland.
    DoFollow Backlink Checker | Internet Marketing and SEO Forums

22,000+ List of Directories to submit your site. List of Blogs, Forums, Press Release, Social Media... (sort by PR & Alexa)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recently i've seen some of the most innovative web designs -- that target the mobile platforms like ipads, smart phones etc particularly tablet PCs These websites do not have the typical "header" links or "footer" links. They have big images, more scroll down, and interactivity throughout the page. For example teehanlax.com & ssk.com

Your website looks good, with clear message and navigation. But I'd like to imagine your website on a tablet, smart phone, and that's where the fonts and too much content gives me the creeps. You know latest studies show that people would be turning to (and mostly are) to mobile apps, tablets by year "very soon". Just an expression --- to make you understand.
    Bullet proof corporate website design services, tailored to your specific needs - Said by sticker baby

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I shuffled thru your site looking for something I did not like. And I could not find anything. It is clean and professional.. I would buy services from you.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by steve55 View Post
    We would like some constructive comments about our website at Sims Website Designs please.

In particular we would like to know how easy it is use, how you found it to find the information you wanted, how easy it is to contact us and the likely conversion rates of trying to hook you into contacting us.

Our traffic rates are quite good and hopefully our designs are appealing, but I feel that we should perhaps get more enquires and we often answer telephone calls from people asking "If we do website design" or "If we do ecommerce websites", which seems a bit odd as these are listed clearly on our website.

We may be 'too close' to the site to see any glaring issues, so if you are able to spend some time reviewing it and offering up some thoughts that would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your time.
    Hi Steve.., I seen your website it is awesome and loads quite fast for me. Really well designed and great work by you. Nothing much to suggest you as already it looking good.
    Last edited by TechnoBear; May 8, 2012 at 04:43. Reason: Please wait 90 days for a real signature

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a look at your website and somehow it reminded of a newspaper page. Not everything works correctly. if you want to attract clients then you need to work on design a bit more, make it more elegant, sleek English taste. So when clients will look at your website they would know that you can do a website of "Rolls Royce" quality, i.e. you can take the best and make it even better. Best of luck, mate!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great website Steve!

I love the way you pick colors except color from footer.
    I don't know what's missing, but for me as an impression, a
    website should maintain its display from head to foot.

Also the navigation dropdown is too dark but I love the orange thing.

Its content is populated so much that as a viewer I'm confused where to start,
    perhaps its body is too wide.

Other than that, it's great.
    Those are my suggestions.

I believe you have great ideas stuck in there.
    Thank you for sharing your site!

Life is not a malfunction gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Thanks to everyone who replied.

As the OP has not returned to the thread since March, there doesn't seem to be much point in continuing to review his site. Thread closed.
    Take plenty of exercise walk round and round the garden
    or