User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast Mediaplay1's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My iPhone App Store, Can This Work? What Needs Changes

Hi Everyone

It has been 4 months since I had your help, I have added about 1500 more iPhone apps in the last 4 months + many other add-ons
    I have been slowly adding text on each page and have about 177 more pages to go Ugh! Other than some pages taking 2 seconds to load and needing more text for SEO what could the site use or what is wrong ?
    I searched the entire app store and wrote down every marine and nautical related app there is then searched again using the widget tool maker. It takes 4 to 6 minutes to add one Widget and get it lined up, take that and times it by 3000+ Widgets Wow! This site took over 3200 hours since start.
    I am hoping the public will see some kind of uniqueness here as all apps are Nautical related other than city detail maps and mobile apps in there own category. PLEASE Tell Me What You Think Thanks Very Much http://Nauticalapps.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rubbish! That's what I thought of your review on my thread. (I'm the Irish gift shop website) You were meant to visit the 2nd link rather than the first.

Now down to your site. First of all, in terms of design it's not great. It's a bit plain and could do with a bit of branding. Also since it's a nautical theme, why not make the site look more nautical.

You seem to be mostly concerned with SEO but you have an unhealthy pre-occupation for page load speeds and text. It's important to have text and a quick page but that is only the very tip of the iceberg for SEO. SEO's my field and you're wasting your time just concentrating on text.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the pointers! your right that I do need a more Nautical look, maybe some Anchors, Light Houses, or boat pics in there. The reason for the look or the template rather, the site looks and works best using your mobile device with my custom Mobile website, pictures, ad links and other features will not display on the mobile site, the mobile site is just clean with widgets one after another in vertical row and in multiple categories. I worry about Text because someone on this site last time said I have no text but just widgets with there names and will not index well on search engines, that is why I worried about getting in better position on search engines. The load time is slow because the widgets are third party and have to bounce through 2 other sites first, I do not think I can help that? But I have noticed that using an iPhone or iPad it loads the same as all the other app stores, kind of slow that is.
    Thanks !

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a lot of app-finding/adding time! I think whenever you have a lot of options in one place, you've created an incentive for people to come back and look at your content.

My first thought as I clicked to go to the site is why someone would create a collection of nautical-themed apps (it's interesting, I was just curious about the intent). Right away, I was looking for something on the "about" page that said you were a sailor or worked with boats or something to see who you were and what your purpose was in choosing this theme. I couldn't find it. Not really a deal-breaker, because I'm guessing most people who come to the site will search for specific types of apps and go directly to internal pages to find them.

The "a word from our owner" helps to clarify what you're doing, but it's kind of a long sentence. (Also, it says "you," talking to the reader, and in the same sentence "my customers," who, presumably, are also readers; same kind of conflict exists between "our owner" and "my customers." Either speak to You or General Customers, and choose to be either Me or We, as in, "I find the best nautical-themed apps and offer them at no extra cost to you" vs. "We find the best nautical-themed apps and offer them at no extra cost to our customers." The header for this section is also spaced differently than the header above it.

I had no idea there were so many fish-themed game apps! When I am searching for something with lots of thumbnails (like furniture), I always choose "view all" if that's an option. I prefer one scroll to having to click back and forth to different pages. I understand you want to minimize load time, but you might make it an option, especially if people want to browse for a while.

You have organized the app categories logically together on the left side, but there are a lot to choose from. It might be better to have broader categories (like "Games," for example) and maybe have more specific fly-out menu options.

I find the banner ads distracting in the middle of the product choices--it's hard to tell where your content begins and ends. The top ad in the white space should be about what you offer instead. The ad choices ads below the left nav aren't as intrusive.

With this much content, it would be great to offer a search box on each category page--I couldn't find one on the site.

hth

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At a glance, it looks kind of like one of those generic "What you want, when you need it!" pages that shows up when you google something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    J You are correct about (a word from our owner) That is now on the list to change Thanks! and yes I do work on Boats full time for the last 31 years and lived on the water my whole life, being so into nautical things I have found that nautical/marine apps are just basically scattered throughout the iTunes Store, By just typing in fish games only gives you a selected few in that category and you will also have to view hundreds of non related apps in between, Fish games and navigation and so on are scattered, chances are when browsing an apps store you may never come across many of these apps/widgets At this site they are all in one place and one does not have to view the thousands of non related apps or apps in other languages and countries as many are in french, Spanish, German and so on.

I like the drop down menu idea and wonder if it would work well on the mobile site from an iPhone or iPad, I too strongly agree there is too much on the side bar.
    A new template would be the only fix for that since this is done on site builder, I am going to play with another template ! Now the free games page looks great from a mobile device with all the categories on top to choose from (just the free ones) that shortened up the side bar something huge, I could maybe do that with the rest of the games to really shorten it up instead of a new template perhaps??

The bummer with this template is there is no room for ad campaigns to make $ I have a 5 page website that does Ok with ad sense so playing with another template is most wise fro ad purpose, menu bar drop down and so on, I will practice on unpublished pages.

I would like to ad a (search this site box) but do not have a clue how to build a data base etc. with a static website, the information I have found seems a bit over my head.

Thanks for all the feed back ) and appreciate all others too

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, so a photo of your local waterfront is going on your new about page, then, right?

I know what you mean about templates. The one I'm using doesn't highlight the page you're on at the top tabs--so if you're on the home page, there's nothing about the home page tab that looks different. They're restrictive, but a lot faster than coding from scratch.

With regard to search boxes, I know Google has one, but I opted for Free Find and I've liked it very much. The spider bot comes by pretty often, so the searches are up to date, and they provide a copy and paste html snippet code for free, without ads. I've found the search results to be very logical. You also get a report about who has used the search box and what they searched for, which is helpful, because it sometimes gives you ideas for new content. It doesn't do the more specific filter searches, but it works well for general searches.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took a look at your site, and I think you have a lot to offer. I am new to this, but as a consumer, I have a couple of suggestions.
    1. Change the color scheme - The colors themselves go well together, but with company name and niche, I think you need to go with a more nautical color scheme...the blue and green families...
    2. Add some fluff with some nautical images. Make me feel the water, fishies, and seaweed. lol Like I said, no judgement, as I am new to this, too! lol
    3. I would somehow make it easier for me to locate what I am looking for. I am kindof OCD (I hear you laughing...lol) and I got a little overwhelmed if I was trying to look for something specific.
    Overall, I think you really did a great job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey J Well a photo from out back wouldn't look that great because I am on a canal, the Palm trees look the best lol I am going to play around with adding some things to the header, changing it a bit by adding maybe a light house, anchor, fish and maybe a compass or what ever floats my imagination as I go along.

I am going to add Search box too on each page (Google) I need a search site box though very much because this site will get pretty large eventually, What is your site? by the way.

I tried to learn dream weaver but not ready yet for major schooling, coding is too much for me!
    Thanks for your opinions

Whoo Hoo someone purchased iPhone accessories yesterday, first commission there lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Naughtnotions
    I tried some blues when I started but it did not look to good, dark blue would work though, it makes it look even more like everyone Else's nautical site but I will add some nautical stuff though, I would like to add a (view all) feature but the widgets take up so space with code that adding more widgets lock up the page as it gets run out of space quickly, it sucks that site pages can only handle so much as they could crash

Thanks and great luck to you!!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Media,
    Dark blue may actually work. I would love to see it again once you update.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on your first commission! That's exciting :-)

I need a search site box though very much because this site will get pretty large eventually, What is your site? by the way.
    It's conversationpieceslearning.org --it's got a monster lot of content, too, so search is helpful.

Good luck as you make your changes--look forward to seeing the next version!
    Last edited by TechnoBear; May 12, 2012 at 09:04. Reason: Unnecessary link removed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice learning website ! it reminds me of the show are you smarter than a fifth grader. HUGE amount of content for sure!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow I never would have guessed there were so many nautical-related apps! Also, congrats on your first commission, I can't even imagine how good a feeling that must be

I liked your mobile site better to be honest. I feel your main site needs some work, there's a lot of strong contrasting colors in there. You definitely need some deep blues and soft yellows thrown in to complement the content. Here are some palettes I looked you might like (two dark and two bright):

http://kuler.adobe.com/#themeID/1641683
    http://kuler.adobe.com/#themeID/1645154
    http://kuler.adobe.com/#themeID/69576
    http://kuler.adobe.com/#themeID/833368

You also could use a new logo, maybe a font with some crisp thin lines like these http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=...=nautical+apps (especially some of the ones near the bottom)

All in all, I'm very impressed with shear amount of work you put into the content. Keep up the hard work

[EDIT]
    Oh before I forget, you should get a favicon of an anchor or a ships wheel in there, that would be a nice touch. It'll add a cool 16x16 picture next to your title in the browser for when people favorite/bookmark your site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey there Carlos. thanks for the tips, I plan on using all these great tips as soon as I get more free time on my hands, and I may wait to see if I get more traffic first in the next couple months, I really like one of the blues on the link you added but not sure if I could incorporate it yet into the site builder, I have been getting small commissions on the App sales for the last 3 months and my first just recently on iPhone accessories.
    I may wait until I get more views on the site before I do a lot more work on it because it has been up for 6 months and I only get an average of 12 views a day, it may never get traffic unless I spend thousands on advertising or thousands of hours submitting to where ever/backlinks etc, I did that with my other website and ended up in 26000 different places and never received over 270 views per day and that took 4 full years to get to that point and still does not do well
    if Nauticalapps does not receive traffic 12 months from now I will just shut it down as it just cost me $ for hosting and would not be worth it if the site cannot even pay for itself.
    It may be a very bad market but worth a shot for a little while, there is too many free apps out there even though the free ones are limited on what they do, but people would rather save the cash and go with free and there is so many other places to get apps

Thanks )