SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    billycundiff{float:left;} silver trophybronze trophy RyanReese's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's just like you're taught in school, you should be smart about where you get your references from . More often than not, if someone is writing articles on a web design subject, they often have the knowledge to do so. I wouldn't try to teach a lesson on how to fish, even if I looked up how to do it online. I don't have experience.
    Twitter-@Ryan_Reese09
    http://www.ryanreese.us -Always looking for web design/development work

<title class="lol"> bronze trophy TehYoyo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanReese View Post
    It's just like you're taught in school, you should be smart about where you get your references from . More often than not, if someone is writing articles on a web design subject, they often have the knowledge to do so. I wouldn't try to teach a lesson on how to fish, even if I looked up how to do it online. I don't have experience.
    You would if you were looking for cheap website views and ad revenue Like the large majority of small-time blog producers.

~TehYoyo

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've wrestled with the screen size issue as well, and have come to the belief that there is no standard answer. To me, the answer is driven by the data being displayed.
    For example, I've worked on sites that were primarily bitmapped graphics which would not scale attractively, and the layout of the images was part of the message - so a fixed width solution worked best.
    I've also worked on sites which were text-intensive, and the widest possible display would be of benefit. Those used a more fluid layout with minimal fixed objects.
    When confronted with sites that had both qualities, I've sometimes gone to the trouble of creating 2 or 3 layout styles and applied them dynamically after testing usable screen width - and had a completely separate page for mobile users that boiled the site down to essentials (but with a link to display the full site if desired).
    The comment about wide screens sometimes being used to display multiple windows was a good observation - but if you design to viewport width instead of screen width, the distinction is less significant.
    Nice thread....