User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast Albablue89's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clickable mailto link on site and spam

I've went and intergrated a secure PHP / Javascript contact form on a website, to be told be the owner after finishing the website that she wants her email address listed as well as the contact form.

Now, I guess I have options here to either go with the flow, do what she wants in the best way I can, or I try to explain the contact form is for a legit reason.

Now I've just have a read at http://www.sitepoint.com/spamproof-site/ And I'm thinking of just using the following JavaScript to create a mailto link that displays the actual address.

Code:
        <script language=javascript>  <br>  
          <br>  
        <!--  <br>  
        var username = "username";  <br>  
        var hostname = "yourdomain.com";  <br>  
        var linktext = username + "@" + hostname;  <br>  
        document.write("<a href=" + "mail" + "to:" + username +  <br>  
        "@" + hostname + ">" + linktext + "</a>")  <br>  
        //-->  <br>  
        </script>
    Is this advised or what?

Thanks.

Mouse catcher silver trophy
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    While the contact form may be there for a legitimate reason (ie preventing spam), that doesn't mean that it's the most user-friendly method. I would generally recommend providing the option to use either a contact form (allows people to choose the email address they want you to reply to) or an email link (people often have more confidence in an email than a contact form, it means they have a record for themselves of what they sent, and you don't have to worry about eejits who mistype their own email address (and yes, a lot do!)).

I certainly would not recommend obfuscating the email address with Javascript, although if you're allowing people to use a script-free contact form then it isn't a cardinal sin, just a slightly bad one.

An easier way, which I have had reasonable success with, is to simply replace the @ with &#064; (in both the link text and the mailto address) – it comes out as the same, the link still works the same, but it does seem to be reasonably effective at disguising it from spambots. (I would still suggest putting a different email address there, which you can discard if it does start to pick up intolerable amounts of spam).

Life is not a malfunction gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie D View Post

An easier way, which I have had reasonable success with, is to simply replace the @ with @ (in both the link text and the mailto address) it comes out as the same, the link still works the same, but it does seem to be reasonably effective at disguising it from spambots. (I would still suggest putting a different email address there, which you can discard if it does start to pick up intolerable amounts of spam).
    I use a similar approach, and run the e-mail address through this encoder. It seems to work pretty well at stopping spam, although I also do as Stevie D suggests and use a disposable e-mail address, just in case. (So far, I've not needed to change one. )

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie D View Post
    An easier way, which I have had reasonable success with, is to simply replace the @ with @ (in both the link text and the mailto address) – it comes out as the same, the link still works the same, but it does seem to be reasonably effective at disguising it from spambots. (I would still suggest putting a different email address there, which you can discard if it does start to pick up intolerable amounts of spam).
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoBear View Post
    I use a similar approach, and run the e-mail address through this encoder. It seems to work pretty well at stopping spam, although I also do as Stevie D suggests and use a disposable e-mail address, just in case. (So far, I've not needed to change one. )
    Nice... Very niffty indeeed and fair points made.

I actually seen your @ trick in another thread, shortly after posting this thread. I think it's a good call, and I also like the look of the encoder to add some extra spice to it all. So, I'll go with using ascii characters and symbols on a different email address that I can alias as I normally would.

Cheers, Chuggers!

Life is not a malfunction gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

Quote Originally Posted by Albablue89 View Post
    Cheers, Chuggers!
    Another Chuggington fan? I knew you were one of the good guys.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoBear View Post
    Another Chuggington fan? I knew you were one of the good guys.
    Haha!!! Nothing like a bit of Story Time