User Tag List

Thread: CSS Quiz

<title class="lol"> bronze trophy TehYoyo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

CSS Quiz

Hey all. Stumbled upon this CSS Quiz sponsored by SitePoint...wanna take it and see what you get? (And then post and discuss, of course.)

Slightly embarrassing, but I pulled a 21/27 (Yeah, that's a C )

~TehYoyo

Just Blow It bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I got 22/27 (C), though I'm not 100% sure I agree with one of them (#22). I chose the content area, but the answer says content + padding + border. W3C matches what I chose, and I seem to recall this behavior being true've had experience. I guess either one could be true

Of the others:

• I misread the question on one
    • Flat out screwed another one up - I knew the answer and chose the wrong one.
    • Don't use nth selectors - never had to....
    • CSS3 question so I missed this one honestly.....
    Dave Maxwell - Manage Your Site Team Leader
    My favorite YouTube Video! | Star Wars, Dr Suess Style
    Learn how to be ready for The Forums' Move to Discourse

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMaxwell View Post
    I got 22/27 (C), though I'm not 100% sure I agree with one of them (#22). I chose the content area, but the answer says content + padding + border. W3C matches what I chose, and I seem to recall this behavior being true've had experience. I guess either one could be true.
    Yeah. I think I got that one wrong, too.

Defining width: only defines the content area.

I think what they meant is that the total width of an element is content+padding+border. At least, that's what I see whenever I use XRay (If you use Chrome, the link won't work - don't know about any others, though)

~TehYoyo

Mouse catcher silver trophy Stevie D's Avatar
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMaxwell View Post
    I got 22/27 (C), though I'm not 100% sure I agree with one of them (#22). I chose the content area, but the answer says content + padding + border. W3C matches what I chose, and I seem to recall this behavior being true've had experience. I guess either one could be true
    I'm with you on that one, Dave. But I don't know what my overall score was because it only showed me about half the questions, just kept skipping some pages ... no idea why

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    I just got 24/27 but your 'heads-up' caused be to be xtra warry probably netting me an extra one or two. There were two questions that I don't agree with there answers so I would probably get those wrong every time.

I was using Opera and on some of the pages I had to repost 2 or 3 times to get it to move on (Hey maybe this increased my score mahaha )

Thanks for the link!

Steve
    ictus==""

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

Quote Originally Posted by ServerStorm View Post
    I was using Opera and on some of the pages I had to repost 2 or 3 times to get it to move on (Hey maybe this increased my score mahaha )
    @Stevie D ;

Haha! Opera fails again!

Anyways, it seems like a pretty difficult quiz (no one has gotten and A!)...is it just b/c it's based off her specific book or is it b/c the answers are...*gasp* wrong!

~TehYoyo

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

Hey let's not bash Opera It is a great development browser and oh so configurable out of the box also 6mb per tab as compared with 17.5 per tab on my Linux Firefox with the same functionality as addons. And on my machine it is 20-30% faster loading pages than Chrome (no addons) and 30-40% faster than firefox (with developer addons).

On a serious note... use whatever browser that works for you!

Yes the quiz was pretty hard, I cannot profess to be a CSS diva though, so the result does not surprise me.

Regards,
    Steve
    ictus==""

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Likewise, I didn't get a score at the end, but I was told that I had "attained CSS Warrior status". So clearly the test is not very hard. ( think I got three wrong.)

One or two I had to guess on, as I'm not familiar with some of CSS3 (the pseudo stuff). I also thought the polyfill question was a bit misleading, and I don't agree with the answer. I mean, who's to say that <spoiler warning>older browsers "should" support new technologies</end spoiler>?

From Italy with love silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph.m View Post
    think I got three wrong.
    At the end, it gives you the correct answers to the questions you failed, so you can count the number. At least it did to me.

21/27

One question stated: 'what do you expect to see?' or something like that, which IMO means that no answer can be wrong. It should have said: 'what do you see'.

Mentioned
    454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by guido2004 View Post
    One question stated: 'what do you expect to see?' or something like that, which IMO means that no answer can be wrong.
    If you expect to see something other than what you is gonna see, you is wrong, bro'!

Team SitePoint
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys, thanks for your feedback on the quiz. With regards to question 22, I have received a few emails about it so have temporarily suspended it while I get our tech editors to take a look at it to make sure it is correct and make it less ambiguous.

It seems that the success/failure message has been edited at some point recently and it now doesn't display the score, so I will put that back. The pass mark (to get the certificate) is 80%, by the way, so you can get a few wrong.
    Simon Mackie

From Italy with love silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    If you expect to see something other than what you is gonna see, you is wrong, bro'!
    But if you ask me 'what do you expect to see', and I tell you, I answered your question correctly, even if what I'm gonna see is something else. I expected wrong, but answered right

Mentioned
    454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by guido2004 View Post
    But if you ask me 'what do you expect to see', and I tell you, I answered your question correctly
    Not if I expected a different answer, and am the one marking the test. (You see, I think like a teacher, you like a student. )

SitePoint Evangelist WebMachine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got 23/27 but technically it should have been 22/27 because I have to confess I'd never heard of the term 'polyfilla' and looked it up.
    I was totally honest with answering the other questions, though, but I hang my head in shame for that one question (learned something new though). Do I still get to keep the certificate?

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Mackie View Post
    Hi guys, thanks for your feedback on the quiz. With regards to question 22, I have received a few emails about it so have temporarily suspended it while I get our tech editors to take a look at it to make sure it is correct and make it less ambiguous.

It seems that the success/failure message has been edited at some point recently and it now doesn't display the score, so I will put that back. The pass mark (to get the certificate) is 80%, by the way, so you can get a few wrong.
    Hi Simon,

I'm not worried about this; however I got 23/27 so that is roughly 85% and it told me that I was not a wizard and should buy the book.
    ictus==""

Team SitePoint
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ServerStorm View Post
    Hi Simon,

I'm not worried about this; however I got 23/27 so that is roughly 85% and it told me that I was not a wizard and should buy the book.
    Oh, that's a bit odd. Maybe something to do with my suspending q.22? We use a third party (SurveyGizmo) to power the quiz, so I may have to take it up with them.
    Simon Mackie

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Oh, that's a bit odd. Maybe something to do with my suspending q.22? We use a third party (SurveyGizmo) to power the quiz, so I may have to take it up with them.
    OK, just thought you should know. I don't feel that I am a CSS wizard anyway

Regards,
    Steve
    ictus==""

Mouse catcher silver trophy Stevie D's Avatar
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Perhaps the question needs to be "What should you expect to see...?"

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yeah. I was kind of annoyed about that...I figured that we were just supposed to figure out the score ourselves...(I went back and counted the total number of questions )

~TehYoyo

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    23/27 for me... but there was one question that I didn't even see and I left it blank. The other 3 were CSS3 related or about HTML5 which i don't use so...

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by molona View Post
    The other 3 were CSS3 related or about HTML5 which i don't use so...
    Yeah. A lot of people made that same comment - I only knew some of them because I had read HTML5 and CSS3 for the Real World.

~TehYoyo

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a 23/27. I skipped over a question but I think that's still pretty good.

I also thought the polyfill question was a bit misleading, and I don't agree with the answer.
    I don't think the question was misleading but I do think the answer was a bit one-sided.

<spoiler warning>Polyfills aren't solely meant to correct a browser for a feature is should have implemented. If I understand correctly, they're generally for adding a not-yet-implemented feature into even modern browsers.</end spoiler>

billycundiff{float:left;} silver trophybronze trophy RyanReese's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two wrong. One because I didn't know the CSS3 module, and the other I thought I had right but whatever.

18. Which of the following is not a pseudo-class defined in the Basic User Interface Module of CSS3?
    ptional
    :hidden
    27. In order to allow images to scale down (but not scale up) in our responsive designs, we use a very simple rule. What is it?
    img {width: 100%; }
    img {max-width: 100%; }
    Always looking for web design/development work. Willing to do it cheap to build portfolio!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took the and scored below average, if i took it again it would be near 100% CSS rocks fun quiz!