SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

We got listed at Yahoo! on the 24th of August. Just thought I'd let you all know -- yes getting listed there IS worth it. (the traffic levels can be quite incredible) Maybe this will inspire those of you that are having trouble getting listed. It is surprising that I got such a good listing without paying the $199 fee, but I pretty much followed the tips that we gave webmasters in one of our previous web-master.tv articles. "Yahoo!" So you don't ask, it took only one to two weeks to get listed.

David | http://www.web-master.tv
    Web-Master.TV: The channel for webmasters.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To clear things up, Yahoo! doesn't help your rank if you pay them. Paying Yahoo! guarantees a quick review. They still can decline you, or your results could be poor.

Yahoo! is definately worth trying to get listed in. It's not too hard either.

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I agree. And I realize that it doesn't ensure a better listing -- but being reviewed by an editor is better than not being seen at all for months. By the way, have you heard anything good/bad about Looksmart's Biz Express program for $199?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found the looksmart price to be well worth it. They had reviewed my site within a day, and then it took a couple days to show up. They had originally added me to a wrong section, but I sent them a note requesting to be added to certain sections and they did it promptly.

I am also getting a lot of hits from msn due to my looksmart listing, as they use them for there searches.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yahoo is aout 25% of my traffic... and that's for a 7 deep category. Well worth it, especially if you sell stuff on your website.

Owen

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well I was happy when Yahoo! had me listed in the main catergory of lyrics. But they have seen moved my lyrics site to a specific genre and the traffic drop is incredible. Ive been trying for months to get it moved back (as we offer alot more then just a specific genre) but no luck. I called today, I wonder if that will help at all..

Ravi

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by webmaster2000
    We got listed at Yahoo! on the 24th of August. Just thought I'd let you all know -- yes getting listed there IS worth it. (the traffic levels can be quite incredible) Maybe this will inspire those of you that are having trouble getting listed. It is surprising that I got such a good listing without paying the $199 fee, but I pretty much followed the tips that we gave webmasters in one of our previous web-master.tv articles. "Yahoo!" So you don't ask, it took only one to two weeks to get listed.

I heard a bunch of people are using them now.
    Professional PHP programing / Hosting
    aim: downtoi3iz icq: 74637813

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have tried twice now to get my site listed by Yahoo, and have not heard a word from them. I submitted the first time, waited 4 weeks, and resubmitted. Now, it has been 2 weeks since then and still I am not listed.

Any ideas? Should I email them? Give them a call?

Thanks in advance..

Patrick Weatherford
    www.BottomDollarDomains.com
    $12 Domain Name Registration

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two Words:

Yahoo! Canada

http://www.freejavahelp.com
    Making Java REALLY Easy
    Tutorials, Forums, and Articles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm quite shocked...getting into Yahoo! seems to be a big deal...but it's done almost nothing for my site (MovieForums.com)...I've noticed very little traffic from them.

Lord of the Underworld
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its been 4 weeks and Y! Canada STILL haven't lsted me

Adam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by TWTCommish
    I'm quite shocked...getting into Yahoo! seems to be a big deal...but it's done almost nothing for my site (MovieForums.com)...I've noticed very little traffic from them.
    That's odd. On first thought, I'd assume your web sites would get some nice traffic from Yahoo. They seem very marketable and good topics.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had submitted both of my sites for months with no luck. On a tip from a marketing newsletter, I finally wrote to Yahoo! and explained why one of my sites (SoulCysters.com)would be an important addition to the directory...it was added within a week - and yes, I have seen a dramatic increase in traffic.
    TheWeighWeWere.com - Weight Loss Success Stories from A to Z!

oops, I did it again...re-relaunced July '07

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Marc...

I thought the same thing. MovieForums.com was listed after a few days in a very appropriate category. They changed the description all arond (it's dumb now), but I figured a site on the subject of Movies would get a ton of traffic...I see very little.