User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Do not index maintenance pages

How do I stop maintenance pages from being indexed by search engines?

I can stop them from being used if the user does not have the correct privileges but it would be better if they weren't indexed to beging with.

Thanks,

Steve

Mouse catcher silver trophy Stevie D's Avatar
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If all the maintenance pages are in the same folder (and nothing else is in there), then you can use robots.txt, with a file containing something along the lines of
    Code:
    User-agent: *
    Disallow: /maintenance-folder/
    Otherwise, you'll need to set it on a file-by-file basis.
    Include this line in the <head>:
    Code:
    <meta name="robots" content="noindex, nofollow">
    (If you want search engines to follow links from that page then leave off "nofollow").

Certified Ethical Hacker silver trophybronze trophy dklynn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Stevie(s),

robot.txt is notorious for being ignored by bots attempting to index (or scrape) your website. If you're concerned about this, either:

1. Move your maintenance scripts out of the webspace

2. Unlink them from your website (no link from the website = security by obfuscation, i.e., poor to no security)

3. Password protect your maintenance folder AND use mod_rewrite in that folder to require authentication, i.e., only provide access to your (fixed) IP Address or via an environmental variable only you have.

4. The best option is a combination of (Apache) password protection on the subdirectory AND use of a login using a strong password hashed for access.

Regards,

DK
    David K. Lynn - Data Koncepts is a long-time WebHostingBuzz (US/UK)
    Client and (unpaid) WHB Ambassador
    mod_rewrite Tutorial Article (setup, config, test & write
    mod_rewrite regex w/sample code) and Code Generator

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you both.

I will be using a mixture of meta tags to stop them from being indexed and a separate security on each page that checks that a user is logged in and has the correct privileges should a page become indexed by accident, or if search engines ignore the <meta robots>

Steve

Certified Ethical Hacker silver trophybronze trophy dklynn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Steve,

If the maintenance pages are not isolated in a password protected directory, that's as good as it gets!

BTW, I've been in a conversation with Manuel Lemos, creator of phpclasses.org about hosting classes to break md5 hashed passwords (using a rainbow table lookup hosted by md5cracker.org (or similar)) and the contention of mine is that these lookups shouldn't be available to script kiddies, his is that it can make for a good check on a hashed password. We're both correct but the key to security is to use a STRONG password, i.e., one with uppercase, lowercase, digits, special characters and spaces of sufficient length to make it impossible to crack by brute force in less than a few centuries. Of course, that's if you really need to protect your maintenance pages!)

Regards,

DK
    David K. Lynn - Data Koncepts is a long-time WebHostingBuzz (US/UK)
    Client and (unpaid) WHB Ambassador
    mod_rewrite Tutorial Article (setup, config, test & write
    mod_rewrite regex w/sample code) and Code Generator

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    David,

yes. I've become aware that md5 is not good enough.

as for my own admin pages: at the moment it is not that critical. I provide the facility but I also maintain scripts so that if someone does break in and make a mess, I can just rerun scripts to make everything right again.

When I rule the world there will be no need for any of this security malarky ( in any walk of life ).

Thanks,

Steve