SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: small graphics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy small graphics

ok, let me see if I can explain this properly...

I'm developing an intranet application with some colleagues and we're trying to set an interface that can easily match screen resolutions equal or smaller than 800x600. In order to accomplish that I created some small graphics for our navigation (buttons of 24x24 pixels).

Problem is: I never got the quality I wanted in those graphics. I tried CorelDraw and exported as transparent gifs; I tried Photoshop and make them from scratch; I've even used paint to work on a pixel by pixel drawing...

I've always the sensation that the graphic is a little blurry, not quite perceptive, not quite clear.

Final notes: I'm using web safe colors (#FF9900 and black). When I used paint I got better results in terms of clearity but worst results in terms of design (I'm not very good in drawing with a mouse and a keyboard!). I even consulted some pixel art websites in order to learn a little bit more about that technique but I never accomplished what I intented...

So, I'm posting this message so that you can help me. Any suggestion would be appreciated. If you know any tutorial about how to make small icons, I'll appreciate that.

I got this http://robouk.mchost.com/tuts/tutori...=microbuttons2 but it's not quite what I was looking for.

Thanks in advance
    Zeca Pedra

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

i'm not an expert but i think you should design the button at a larger size...say 240x240
    Once you have finished the design...resize them to 24x24

That should make them less blurry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking well...

Thank you!
    As incredible as it may seem I never tried that... in fact, I was working over an over on small graphics, the size I just wanted them and zooming them!
    I will try that, thanks, really!

Sometimes this is just the help that we need!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_M
    Hi

i'm not an expert but i think you should design the button at a larger size...say 240x240
    Once you have finished the design...resize them to 24x24

That should make them less blurry

Ehhhr,
    As far as I remember from my experiences, this has the opposite result. Resizing normally ADDS the effect of the blur.

Try making your buttons in iconforge, not really a gfx-program but very usefull for pixeldrawing in small images like 24x24 and 16x16
    ThaVincy | redesigning your image
    Twizted Imagebuilding personal and corporate reputation solutions

Ohio - U.S.A. Outlook: Cautiously Optimistic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the image blurs on resizing, usually selecting "sharpen" one time clears it right up