SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Helvetica seems to be smaller than Verdana.
    It is, smaller x-height. Helvetica also doesn't show the difference between I and l. Though I have Verdana now in this edit box, yay.

Also, I get the same problem as the screenshot posted, except Unanswered is actually wrapping and covering up the breadcrumb instead, so the input is covering Form Actions and Quick Links.

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. We're checking into these things.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like the new homepage for the forum.
    It gives a better overview than the large spread out topics before.
    Great.

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    236 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks Hawk... and thanks for all the hard work

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    \o/ for having a forum style similar to how it used to be, back in the day.

I hadn't noticed the cropping of the lower case letters but can confirm I do see them. Can also confirm the wrapping issue.
    Ian Anderson
    www.siteguru.co.uk

Mouse catcher silver trophy Stevie D's Avatar
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A couple more bugs, I'm afraid.

In the menu down the left, the "new post in this forum" icon isn't vertically aligned correctly wrt the text label next to it.

And in that same menu, there needs to be padding on the list items, not increased line-height, to give the vertical separation. At the moment for me, "Website Design & Content - Reviews & Critiques" is wrapping onto two lines, but because there's extra line height, it looks like they are two separate items.

And finally (it's a Douglas Adams style "couple"), the "sponsor box" text is going way outside its boundaries and overflowing onto the text below.

Non-Member bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny, I'm still getting Arial... oh wait... USER.CSS FTW. Of course I HAVE to use a USER.CSS thanks to the total accessibility herpaFreakingDerp of declaring everything in PX... 13px to be precise which is when whoever you have working on the skins for these forums needs to hand in their credentials as a web developer.

I mean when I have to force:
    Code:
    * { 
    font-family: arial,helvetica,sans-serif !important;
    font-size: 100% !important;
    line-height: 140% !important;
    }
    ... in my user.css to make the site even CLOSE to usable, SOMEBODY out there writing forum skins needs to be put down like Old Yeller. 13px... pfft. Though as everyone else is pointing out, Verdana is significantly larger at the same declaration as any fallbacks, which is why I don't consider Verdana viable for web deployment in the first place.

Likewise I hate the new forum main page -- since I can't tell which forums have new posts and which don't. It lacks all the utility of a normal forum index, so I'm basically middle clicking on the categories I care about to pull up useful info. What you have as the main content there should be a sidebar at MOST -- and is a colossal step BACKWARDS in how useful the site is and how easy it is to navigate. Thanks guys for the extra click and pageload to see if it's even worth opening a board area in the first place.

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deathshadow60 View Post
    Thanks guys for the extra click and pageload to see if it's even worth opening a board area in the first place.
    And thank YOU for the rude and aggressive post. I do have to ask why you stick around if you hate everything we do so much...

Regardless, we are in the process of making a further change so that the old homepage is also viewable, if it is your preference.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crusty
    thanks to the total accessibility herpaFreakingDerp of declaring everything in PX... 13px to be precise which is when whoever you have working on the skins for these forums needs to hand in their credentials as a web developer.
    Since it's been default on all the skins, I'd say it was a VBull "developer".

SitePoint Zealot coloradojaguar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the great things about Sitepoint is that you have access to 1000's of users that can detect where areas need refinement and attention. Nice upgrades and changes across the board despite a few kinks which will almost always crop up with a big system wide change.
    Hosted solutions provider since 1998 - UK, Atlanta, L.A.,
    JaguarPC.com - Managed Hybrid Servers |
    Managed VPS Hosting | Dedicated Servers

Twitter: @TimIgoe silver trophy TimIgoe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Most of hte measurements in vB are in px, yes. They've built the forum with a lot of fixed sizes which is i guess why they fix the font size too... so the images / graphics overlay nicely.

Non-Member bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TimIgoe View Post
    Most of hte measurements in vB are in px, yes. They've built the forum with a lot of fixed sizes which is i guess why they fix the font size too... so the images / graphics overlay nicely.
    To which my response would be what images/graphics -- if they can't figure out how to handle a content auto-resize, they've got balls of thunder charging money for it.

Though really that's vBull in a nutshell... with it's markup that shows whoever made it doesn't know enough HTML/CSS to be writing websites in the first place (or needs to pull their head out of 1997's backside), endless scripted asshattery for Christmas only knows what (though at least it DOES gracefully degrade if you turn that garbage off), etc, etc...

See the 51k of HTML to deliver 6.4k of plaintext without even having any content images of pages like say... The new forum index... much of it being inlined static scripting, pointless/redundant classes on EVERYTHING, inlined style, spans for nothing that couldn't be applied to the wrapping element (like colors), BLOCKQUOTE around things that aren't even quotes (seriously, why is "Thread started by so-and-so" a QUOTE?!? CITE maybe...)

View Source.... wow, ineptitude of the highest order. Thanks vBull!

Twitter: @TimIgoe silver trophy TimIgoe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vB3 was a horrible mess of tables and nested / nasty layout - the new vB4 was basically porting that to CSS, literally all they appear to have done is convert table, tr and td elements to div / spans and called it "done" - it really isn't pretty to work with. You should see the template management

For consistency with the styling that already exists, I did re-use code, i know its not pretty but I don't fancy stripping the entire forum back to basics and building a style completely from the ground up for vB - that'd be suicide!

Non-Member bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TimIgoe View Post
    vB3 was a horrible mess of tables and nested / nasty layout - the new vB4 was basically porting that to CSS, literally all they appear to have done is convert table, tr and td elements to div / spans and called it "done" - it really isn't pretty to work with.
    Does remind me of something Dan used to say -- the people who made endless nested tables for no reason now just make endless nested DIV.

Sad part is they seem to have even done so to obviously tabular data... switching from tables to nested lists is an improvement how exactly? Really laughable is the use of hidden content to waste time putting text describing the data on every row; basically using content cloaking to do THEAD+TH[scope="col"]'s job. Sad when their use of lists, div, span and classes is less semantic than the table would have been.

Assuming that they even know what a TH is or what the SCOPE attribute does -- which of course you look at the code for vBull 3 and they didn't.

<title class="lol"> bronze trophy TehYoyo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HAWK View Post
    Regardless, we are in the process of making a further change so that the old homepage is also viewable, if it is your preference.
    Yay! I kind of agree with DS. I liked the "latest post" thing..piques my interest. Great redesign (don't get me wrong), but I wish that the highlighted posts didn't take up so much space - I go for the sidebar all the time, anyways.

~TehYoyo

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent job on the upgrade and i like the homepage change.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I am *very* happy that Featured Threads are back. This was definitely a highlight of this forum.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    I run this site using Opera on a Linux OS and I don't have any problems. I like the new layout, it is faster to browse the forum categories and the featured posts are great!

Nice job on the volume of work that was needed to get all this done! I can only imagine how much work it was just to migrate the data let alone of stylistically trying to to P-off several hundred of thousands of users.

Regards,
    Steve
    ictus==""

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bottom of letters getting cut off is still a problem, and it annoys the heck out of me!

Utopia, Inc. silver trophy
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bo5ton View Post
    The bottom of letters getting cut off is still a problem, and it annoys the heck out of me!
    Install a custom style sheet with body { line-height: 1.25 !important; }, that solves it
    Rémon - Hosting Advisor

SitePoint forums will switch to Discourse soon! Make sure you're ready for it!

Minimal Bookmarks Tree
    My Google Chrome extension: browsing bookmarks made easy

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    453 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScallioXTX View Post
    Install a custom style sheet with body { line-height: 1.25 !important; }, that solves it
    Yep, that's what I have.

Non-Member bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which again, when you have to use user.css to restore basic functionality the site had just a year ago...

billycundiff{float:left;} silver trophybronze trophy RyanReese's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We could just wait for Hawk to get around to that particular issue. In the mean time, just don't use smileys ; - ).
    Twitter-@Ryan_Reese09
    http://www.ryanreese.us -Always looking for web design/development work

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Google Translate as a proxy sometimes. Don't ask me why.

One thing I noticed, the highlight code bleeds well, below the number of lines set as default for the code box, into the next text that follows, making it impossible to read properly.

<title class="lol"> bronze trophy TehYoyo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There's no arrow next to the Perl forum.

~TehYoyo