SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lighting effects

what are the best lighting effects under a fluorescent light? what kind of setting is used in a DSLR i'm using canon eos 1100D.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not exactly understanding what you are looking for. One setting you would want to use on your DSLR is to set the White Balance to Fluorescent - just remember to change it when you are under a different light source - or shoot in RAW so you can change it after the fact in the software Canon supplies, Adobe Camera RAW, etc. You could also set it to Auto, which generally does a good job.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fluorescent overhead lighting is pretty harsh. The best effect is to turn it off and use a strobe or find some other place with better lighting conditions.

E

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Flo's have a green spike in the spectrum and they don't represent every color (low CRI) which leads to pasty skin tones.
    If the location and budget allow, buy kino flo true match bulbs and swap them out in the fixture. Either at 3200 kelvin or 5600 kelvin.
    They're not cheap though. You'll see them on amazon.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi! I think the best lightning effects that you will use under a fluorescent light is Auto White Balance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think your should set your camera on auto-shot. It will automatically change for each different scene.
    Last edited by ParkinT; Jun 14, 2012 at 05:07. Reason: for legibility

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as your know your camera settings inside and out, you can get the best pictures quailty under any light. I would by a book that helps your master your camera.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't forget to keep the ISO relatively low to maintain the image quality though. Too many people go up in ISO and comprimise the image quality to shoot in darker lighting.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerohawkins View Post
    what are the best lighting effects under a fluorescent light? what kind of setting is used in a DSLR i'm using canon eos 1100D.
    set your white balance into fluorescent. shot with a 24 or 35mm 1.8 to have awesome bokeh

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second the advice to shoot RAW, especially under difficult lighting conditions. One of the biggest advantages to shooting RAW in my opinion is the ability to edit the color balance on your computer. It has made all of my artificial-light photos so much better.