SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Netscape 4.x again..

Hey,

I have now discovered that a lot of my pages looks horrible in Netscape 4.x... I have kind of drawn the conclusion that ns 4.x doesn't work very well with css...

How much time should I put in trying to correct this? How many people actually USE Netscape 4.x????

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wrong question to ask really...

A better question would be "how many people viewing your site" use Nestcape 4.x", or better still, what percentage of your target audience......

For general info, try http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2002...er/browser.php

who alledge around 2%. But remember, that's 2% of people viewing sites that use "TheCounter" globally. Should be pretty close, but can never be 100% accurate.

Your best bet is to take a look at your web logs
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok,

The stats give me quite a high number on an unknown browser...

Another thing though... Does ns 5.x have the same problems with css as 4.x?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't believe there ever was a 5x series, so I would assume (perhaps incorrectly...) that any 5x versions of Netscape showing are in fact either Mozilla or derivative. If that is the case, then the problems should not be the same.

A little more info here http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_netscape.asp

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen NS 5 listed in my logs as well...and I've always assumed it was just referring to NS 6, as NS6 technically is their fifth version, anyway (just a marketing ploy by calling it "version 6").

I attempt to create sites as backwards-compatible as possible--within reason. Lately though, I'm finding NutScrape 4 to be a non-starter, as so few visitors to my sites use it (thank gawd!).

"A small group of thoughtful people could change the world.
    Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." --Margaret Mead

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never used to pay much attention to Netscape 4.* until I designed a site that was viewed by the client during his capacity as a local government councillor and he was using a council pc which only ran Netscape 4.*. I then went and checked my stats and guess what 5% of users were still only on 4.*.

Sad I know but what can you do about local gov., if they won't update who will?

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy blufive's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't believe there ever was a 5x series, so I would assume (perhaps incorrectly...) that any 5x versions of Netscape showing are in fact either Mozilla or derivative.
    I've seen NS 5 listed in my logs as well...and I've always assumed it was just referring to NS 6, as NS6 technically is their fifth version, anyway (just a marketing ploy by calling it "version 6").
    Okay.

Some time after the release of NN4.x, Netscape decided to open-source their code for the development of Netscape 5. This was the start of
    the mozilla project. After a few months, it was decided that huge swathes of this code, including the rendering engine, were too complex and convoluted to be of any use, and they were discarded in favour of new code written from scratch. The jump to version 6 was at least partly intended to highlight this break in continuity.

The final version of the source from the old development code base has been referred to in some circles as "what would have been Netscape 5", but AFAIK, there were never any formal releases of executables based on this code. If you really try hard, you *might* be able to extract the raw C++ source from the mozilla.org CVS repository, but turning that into a working executable might be a little exciting.

The browsers that thecounter.com calls "netscape 5" are almost certainly the other assorted offspring of the mozilla project, i.e. mozilla itself, galeon, kmeleon, chimera, phoenix and any others I might have forgotten. Many of these browsers have a user-agent string which begins "mozilla/5.0", which appears to be confusing thecounter's rather basic browser-sniffing. Presumably Netscape 6 and 7 are both listed as "Netscape 6".

As always, take the stats with a pinch of salt, and remember that the only ones that matter to you are the ones for your site. Also remember that if your site is unusable in browser X, users of that browser won't stay on your site for long, and won't come back, thereby skewing your stats away from that browser...

"Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics"