SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Site remodeled. Now with shopping cart. Needs some "pop."

http://appliedcolors.com

The project.
    Was a wordpress site (Genesis) with the shopping cart hosted on Yahoo. I changed the theme to Wootheme's Woocommerece and now host the shopping cart on the site directly for purposes of analytics, coupons, controlling shipping, etc.

Concern #1: Stale homepage.
    The homepage looks more like a blog than a shopping site! Maybe I should have a slider featuirng my 5 products? And the products in a grid below?

Concern #2: Product navigation.
    Navigation bar isn't visual or attention grabbing (look for "Our Products"). It seems each product should have a thumbnail. And maybe the subpages should be appear as flyouts? What plugin might do that?

Concern #3: Poorly organized product content?
    My featured product--the paint touch up system (http://appliedcolors.com/paint-touch-up-system.html) has 7 total sub pages (videos, pictures, how it works, etc.). Should I place the subpages in the sidebars? Or should all the content be dumped onto one page, which the customer clicks on "headings" to reveal one at at time. I'm just not sure how to handle 7 pages of content for 1 product. It's asking the visitor to do too much work.

Concern #4: Slow hosting.
    Slow page loads. I'm using JaguarPC shared hosting. Anyone recommend fast wordpress hosting.

Anything else you see...let me know! Thx in advance for any comments and advice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Concern #1 : Yes Please add the Slider with the Top Selling Products , Featured Products below the Header..which will look good..
    Concern #4 : Try some other hosting providers...try HostGator , or Godaddy ...

Some more concerns.
    Concern #5 : The Page has a empty space in the Right Hand corner down...think about something there...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to stay with the Canvas theme and woocommerce then browse the child themes and see if one would better suit your needs. Canvas has a business template that offers a jquery slider for feature products and woocommerce has a lot of various themes that work with it.

Take a look at successful e-commerce sites for inspiration and advice. Amazon is a great site. How do they layout their product pages? I'm not saying you copy them but there is no need to reinvent the wheel. There is a reason why certain layouts work.

As far as hosting goes, read reviews to see what offers what you need. There is good forum on this site with reviews. http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/foru...ng-amp-Domains

Hope this helps.
    Bryan Waldron
    Waldron Digital Designs
    waldrondigitaldesign.gmail.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reviewed using Google Chrome 17.0.963.78 on Mac OS X 10.6.8

Nice site. Here are my thoughts (meant to be constructive only, not mean):

1. Your navbar needs a hover effect when hovering over the link. Something very subtle - perhaps a #DDD inactive to a #EEE active, or maybe even more subtle than that.
    2. The banner needs to go. It's very 2002. I don't have any suggestions for a better banner, but there's got to be something better.
    3. The five secondary links are spread out onto two rows. "Hot Water Carpet Extractor" does not fit.
    4. I really like the color scheme. I'm a huge fan of white space (some people aren't, so they might not like it as much). It's very easy to read, and that's of upmost importance.

There are other small tweaks that I could recommend, but I'd focus on the things I said in points 1-3 (if you agree - if not, tell me to piss off). I think those three points will take care of 90% of your room for improvement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. I agree with highlighting the main navigation items some way and align them to fit into 1 line. Maybe removing the "system" word would add more space. consider it´s importance

2. The banner is too stuffed, why not add more height?

3. Re-sort the items in the very top navigation bar as the user is used to. ie. HOME, ABOUT US, SHOP, REVIEWS, BLOG, CONTACT
    For the FACEBOOK us an icon somewhere on the page or Like us on Facebook button in the right sidebar. I would also find a new place for ADD AN ARTICLE - it is not main menu item.

4. Re-sort your sidebar stuff. Search is usually on the right, Poll as well, Coupon too. Sort by importance - lead the viewer´s eyes.

5. By the cause of long "Recent articles" you loose the testimonials at the bottom. Display just few recent articles or place them elsewhere.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again for the tips...working on them.

I got the BIGGEST fix out of the way: replaced jaguarpc hosting with a smaller orange (business package @ $20 a month)

Site is literally twice as fast now. Very happy with their tech support too.