User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help decoding JavaScript in WordPress theme

Hi,

I'm working on a site using a ready made WordPress theme. This includes a template for a Calendar page listing upcoming events. I've edited the Calendar page template so that before the events listings there is a paragraph of introductory text using the WordPress function 'the_content'. This is followed by listings for the current month and users can click 'Prev' and 'Next' to move through the calendar.

My problem is that when a user scrolls through to the next or previous month the introductory paragraph text is lost, but the URL stays the same. After a lot of digging around today I've established that this is because the the content in 'the_content' is lost when the page updates.

The links look like this:

Code:
    <div class="monthselect">
      <a class="prevlink plink" "="" rel="2/2012" href="#">PREV</a>
      <a class="nxtlink plink" "="" rel="4/2012" href="#">NEXT</a>
    </div>
    I don't think this loss of data is related to the PHP due to fixes I've tried. So, I was looking through the themes JavaScript and have found this, listed under a section titled 'calendar':

Code:
      	$('a.plink').live('click', function() {
      		$(this).addClass('currp');
      		ado();
      		return false;
      	});

function ado() {
      		$('.imgloader').show();
      		var sender = $('.currp').attr('rel'), 
      			data = { action: 'netlabs_get_ajaxdata', type: 'get_cal', senddata: sender};
    		$.post(ajax_url, data, function(response) {	
    			$('.calselect').html(response);
    			$('.imgloader').hide();
    		});
      	}
    Could anyone give me their thoughts on this? I have absolutely zero experience of JavaScript, so don't know where to start with decoding a custom built function like this. If you could tell me roughly what its doing, that would be great!

Under Construction silver trophybronze trophy AussieJohn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the content you want to keep inside of the .calselect element? If so it will be replaced out when $('.calselect').html(response); runs.

Additionally it's probably worth noting that those links look a little malformed, with the extra "="" in between the two attributes, so you may want to remove that.

Code:
    <div class="monthselect">
      <a class="prevlink plink" "="" rel="2/2012" href="#">PREV</a>
      <a class="nxtlink plink" "="" rel="4/2012" href="#">NEXT</a>
    </div>
    var details = {
    . . web: "afterlight.com.au",
    . . photos: "jvdl.id.au",
    . . psa: "usethelatestversion.com"
    }

Unobtrusively zen silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scampsall View Post
    Could anyone give me their thoughts on this? I have absolutely zero experience of JavaScript, so don't know where to start with decoding a custom built function like this. If you could tell me roughly what its doing, that would be great!
    What it's doing is to send data to ajax_url, and when it receives a response it takes the element with a '.calselect' class and replaces its contents with the response that was returned from the ajax_url.
    Programming Group Advisor
    Reference: JavaScript, Quirksmode Validate: HTML Validation, JSLint
    Car is to Carpet as Java is to JavaScript

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @AussieJohn - yes, the content I want is in the '.calselect' element. Thanks for the info, very helpful! As for the wierd "="" bit - it's code generated from the themefiles somehow, so not sure how to edit that! I figure it's not doing any harm though?...

@paul_wilkins - thanks for the response, its really helpful

The theme author has agreed to take a look, but this has been really helpful in aiding my understanding and giving him my best guess as to where the issue is - massive thanks to you both