User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by redux
    whereas it takes huge expenditure in research and invasive surgery to give eyesight to a blind user (which is still way off in the future)
    Good point, but it needs fixing:

whereas it takes huge expenditure in research and invasive surgery to give eyesight to ONE blind user (which is still way off in the future)
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm no accessibility expert, but I would think that if you write code that is W3C compliant (which, honestly, I have been guilty of not doing...) and you are very careful in your use of images, you should be able to create a site that is pretty accessible.

When a company hires you to design a site for them, is it too much for them to ask for valid code in return for the large sum of money they pay you? I think not. Maybe a mild increase in your fee is in order if they ask for something special. But to double your price for a more accessible site??? I think it gives designers/programmers a bad name.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by davidjmedlock
    I'm no accessibility expert, but I would think that if you write code that is W3C compliant (which, honestly, I have been guilty of not doing...) and you are very careful in your use of images, you should be able to create a site that is pretty accessible.

When a company hires you to design a site for them, is it too much for them to ask for valid code in return for the large sum of money they pay you? I think not. Maybe a mild increase in your fee is in order if they ask for something special. But to double your price for a more accessible site??? I think it gives designers/programmers a bad name.
    I totally agree. I try to write as compliant code as possible, but it's usually the clients that want something they've seen in a Photoshop comp translated to HTML, which doesn't always lead to standards-compliant code. I try to tell them why it shouldn't be done that way, but then they say something to the effect of "well the Web is all about the visual appearance, why do I care about blind users?" It's a hard battle to fight, but sometimes I actually get my way with the clients, and sometimes they actually agree with me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Vinnie. As a web developer/designer, your first concern has to be with making your client happy. You definitely have to talk to them abou the various issues involved, i.e. accessibility, standards compliance, etc. But, sometimes they don't want to budge. They saw something they liked and will settle for nothing less.

So, with clients like these, we may have to be a little more technically creative to achieve both the clients goals, a sleek website, and our goals, a compliant and accessible website.