check this one -- http://imgur.com/mnO58
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I just read, Captain Morgan (the company) made a timeline for Captain Morgan (the guy). Humane Society (US) made a timeline of laws affecting animal treatment. The US Army has one of large US battles. Those are all kinda cool. They would be something you'd scroll through for entertainment reasons alone (so now I want to know... what does Fanta have for their WWII years? muhahahaha).

But there are some really creative personal ones:
    http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/creativ...meline-covers/

Wow.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate this change of Facebook. I have to go back on my old profile but its not possible. There is no privacy in timeline.

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by noranorma101 View Post
    I hate this change of Facebook. I have to go back on my old profile but its not possible. There is no privacy in timeline.
    there is all kinds of privacy in timeline. You can either delete posts or hide them, but it will take a little work.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I think they mean, when the Timeline first rolled out for some people, Facebook gave people a week to decide what would appear in the main timeline and what wouldn't. But if you don't use facebook that often and you missed that one-week window, you're screwed.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by noranorma101 View Post
    There's more privacy in the timeline. You have the same control as before only now you can actually see old posts without spending an hour scrolling back and thus can delete it [or at least delete the copy on your page... once you do something in a digital world it can be many, many places].
    - Ted S

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stomme poes View Post
    I think they mean, when the Timeline first rolled out for some people, Facebook gave people a week to decide what would appear in the main timeline and what wouldn't. But if you don't use facebook that often and you missed that one-week window, you're screwed.
    Yes but I'm not sure what difference it makes? If you don't use facebook weekly it's guaranteed that you business is doing very little with it in a meaningful way anyways.
    - Ted S

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Ted: I think the comment I was responding to was talking about non-business pages getting the Timeline.

Probably a bit my fault as well, since many of my posts are also more about personal pages and Timelines, rather than Business Timelines. Not sure what a business would have on an FB page that's private anyway?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ted: I think the comment I was responding to was talking about non-business pages getting the Timeline.

Probably a bit my fault as well, since many of my posts are also more about personal pages and Timelines, rather than Business Timelines. Not sure what a business would have on an FB page that's private anyway?
    Good thinking but as this is a business forum, I think it's fair that we all keep responding from that angle...
    - Ted S

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah, I keep forgetting social media means business. I think because the thought depresses me at some level.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't like the new look and hate the time line..

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah, I keep forgetting social media means business. I think because the thought depresses me at some level.
    I'd like to think that all businesses will become social (I really despite the social "media" term) in that they'll bring the voice of the customer into all levels the organization and think based on the value of what they create rather than trying to force a belief. To me the term is just a buzz word that reflects a larger concept but you see the conflict surrounding it in things like the timeline. Here you have people going nuts that they're forced to start with interaction rather than an ad... and yet they think of that ad as "social".

But I wouldn't ever want to see social looked from the other way. Individual interaction is the best thing about it... and certainly worth it's own thread and discussion.
    - Ted S

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zac Ferarer View Post
    Don't like the new look and hate the time line..
    As a business or an individual? Why?
    - Ted S

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by calflowers View Post
    The new timeline feature of facebook is a bit confusing. I have not tried it in my profile but I have seen my friends using timeline. I got very confused.
    First Time I was very exciting about Facebook Time Line and I thought that it can Bring some thing special for us. But Now, I am Confused like you.
    However, Wish the time line will be removed soon.
    Because It is not so popular to many Facebook user.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by image2 View Post
    First Time I was very exciting about Facebook Time Line and I thought that it can Bring some thing special for us. But Now, I am Confused like you.
    Changes never are and yet as Facebook has pointed out, the more people have complained, generally the more they have ended up using the feature.
    - Ted S

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by image2 View Post
    You know, you rarely hear from those who are satisfied. I wouldn't say it isn't popular with FB users, since many switched to Timeline before the change became mandatory. I know I did. I'm not thrilled with the layout, but it works and like Ted said, change always takes some getting used to. (Well if he didn't say it, I saw it between the lines ).

Timeline has some nice features as mentioned early: the ability to highlight a certain post or to pin a post and some of the covers people are creating are phenomenal. I also like the new admin panel on the pages. Sure beats searching through preferences to find what you need to see for your page.
    Linda Jenkinson

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of "changes," how many changes has Facebook gone through, and how many people have expressed something negative towards those changes and still continued using Facebook despite all that? I agree that it's just going to take time to get used to things. Remember that Ticker update? I don't see a lot of people talking about that anymore. I remember that a lot of people didn't like what the Ticker does.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most people don't like the new look because most of don't like "change", i still don't like it however some features for the fan pages are very useful i.e. the fact that you can pin a post at the top of your fan page is really useful fro any promotions you've got on

Mouse catcher silver trophy Stevie D's Avatar
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted S View Post
    Changes never are and yet as Facebook has pointed out, the more people have complained, generally the more they have ended up using the feature.
    People don't usually have the choice. Changes like the timeline or the new groups are foisted on everyone, whether they like it or not it's a case of "use it, or leave". Generally the people complaining the loudest are the ones most invested in using Facebook, so they are unlikely to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by GeraldNitram View Post
    Speaking of "changes," how many changes has Facebook gone through, and how many people have expressed something negative towards those changes and still continued using Facebook despite all that? I agree that it's just going to take time to get used to things. Remember that Ticker update? I don't see a lot of people talking about that anymore. I remember that a lot of people didn't like what the Ticker does.
    Some of the changes I have come to accept or even like over time. Others I still find incredibly frustrating. The latest changes to groups and events is a real PITA you always used to be able to create events for a group and invite all members of the group with a single tick, but it seems that that option is now gone. As an admin for a group with 400+ members, there's no way I'll be going through ticking each and every member to invite them to every event I create (at least one a week, on average), so now we're relying on people seeing the event on their news feed or on the group page, rather than having it appear in their events automatically. It isn't insurmountable, but it's definitely a regression.

In fact, almost everything about the new groups is a regression, from our point of view. The old system worked pretty much perfectly for us, but now it creates a lot more work and hassle for the admins as well as the members. We still use it because it's better than any alternative system, but it's been touch-and-go a few times recently.

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie D View Post
    People don't usually have the choice. Changes like the timeline or the new groups are foisted on everyone, whether they like it or not – it's a case of "use it, or leave". Generally the people complaining the loudest are the ones most invested in using Facebook, so they are unlikely to leave.
    I think you summed things up pretty well. "Use it or leave it". Here's the thing -- although you could round your group up and start your own group on the web, your group members would be likely to continue using Facebook and if you "leave it", you'll be leaving a community that will soon approach (if it hasn't already) a billion users. That's a lot of potential customers to leave behind.

I rarely look at anyone's timeline and rely on my news feed and the custom groups of friends to see what I want to see. I think that most people are putting way too much importance on Timeline.

Here's a general question for all: How many Timelines did you visit today?
    Linda Jenkinson

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyflower View Post
    Here's a general question for all: How many Timelines did you visit today?
    The answer in aggregate for brands is just about 0.

Truth is for all the debate we have about what the impact is, very few people go to a brand's page. Apps and contests of course get traffic but that's much more about being a website on facebook than anything users are doing on their own/

Fewer than 2 percent of people go back to fan pages, and Facebook admitted at its Facebook Marketing Conference that only an average of 17 percent of fans see fan page posts in their news feeds. If you think it’s plausible that timeline could affect your Facebook visibility, you don’t know the fundamentals of Facebook marketing. It’s about posts and EdgeRank, not how your page looks.

-- All Things Facebook
    Full article @ http://www.allfacebook.com/study-fac...gement-2012-04
    - Ted S

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted S View Post
    The answer in aggregate for brands is just about 0.

Truth is for all the debate we have about what the impact is, very few people go to a brand's page. Apps and contests of course get traffic but that's much more about being a website on facebook than anything users are doing on their own/
    That's about what I figured it would be. However, my question was more posed to all of those who are so worried that timeline will lose business for them. Actually, IMHO, worrying about timeline is a waste of time and more to the point, for some businesses, the adoption of timeline will keep them from throwing away their money on bespoke facebook pages that few people ever see anyway.

I also read this link: http://techcrunch.com/2010/04/22/facebook-edgerank/ which might help some get a better idea of how Facebook works.

Again, just as I thought ... posting fresh content that generates interest is the way to increase your follower list and market share.
    Linda Jenkinson

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveluruguay View Post
    facebook and google plus. Both are are doing competition with each other and changing their look.
    Absolutely right, competition between the biggest search engine 'Google' and the most popular social networking site 'Facebook' which makes it more interesting.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope that this 'change' will not only please the advertisers but the users as well. I still haven't used timeline though. I just find it confusing every time I browse someone's page.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by samantha09 View Post
    I hope that this 'change' will not only please the advertisers but the users as well. I still haven't used timeline though. I just find it confusing every time I browse someone's page.
    I'd suggest that the change was made for the user... That's how it was debuted and while there's a few programs here and there which are clearly advertiser focused [like sponsored stores in the feed], Facebook started with the user and really has put developing business solutions second to monetization... something which served them very well.
    - Ted S