Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

SitePoint Mentor silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Facebook has changed again!

This change is prob. the biggest change for Facebook business pages.

Companies like pagemodo do well selling custom pages and making them appear on a custom tab. The new timeline has completely changed everything. Many company invested large amounts of money on their custom facebook pages. Companies almost formed a backbone on facebook. I would hate to be running a specialized social media company.
    follow me on ayyelo, Easy WordPress; specializing in setting up themes!

SitePoint Enthusiast mackyanderson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sega View Post
    This change is prob. the biggest change for Facebook business pages.

Companies like pagemodo do well selling custom pages and making them appear on a custom tab. The new timeline has completely changed everything. Many company invested large amounts of money on their custom facebook pages. Companies almost formed a backbone on facebook. I would hate to be running a specialized social media company.
    Some says that Timeline will be forever? Is that true? I actually don't want the Timeline.
    FACEBOOK | GOOGLE+ | TWITTER
    Los Angeles Injury Attorneys
    "Effective Lawyering and Proven Results"

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mackyanderson View Post
    Some says that Timeline will be forever? Is that true? I actually don't want the Timeline.
    If the timeline will be forever then i think it can make some Problem to many Famous Page. Actually Not only in Page but also personal facebook ID.
    However though the Tome line is Nice and Awesome to see in personal ID but not good for Page.
    Wish it will be Change Soon.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by image2 View Post
    If the timeline will be forever then i think it can make some Problem to many Famous Page. Actually Not only in Page but also personal facebook ID.
    However though the Tome line is Nice and Awesome to see in personal ID but not good for Page.
    Wish it will be Change Soon.
    I'd absolutely disagree that this is a bad change for companies....

What timeline does is forces businesses to be more interactive while removing the allure of making social into a big marketing billboard. That's a good thing for most companies although there's a learning curve in switching.

For example, take a look at the new Old Spice page which is arguably the best example of their brand story right now and best of all, it's completely validated by people. A company is just as much a story as a person.

While Old Spice has a big team working on this, the great thing is that anyone can do the same. Every brand has an identity and really the smaller you are, the more that can be played up which is to your benefit in a world that's based on finding those who are experts over those who just stock another sku or sell another app.
    - Ted S

SitePoint Member limitlessonline0's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

I also don't want that timeline.. Many big companies used fb today. Social media marketing has really gotten bigger.! >.<

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by limitlessonline0 View Post
    I also don't want that timeline.. Many big companies used fb today. Social media marketing has really gotten bigger.! >.<
    As they say, the proof is in... well the numbers. We're very very early on in the process but consider these stats from some of the initial big brand conversions [not all are positive of course]:

http://mashable.com/2012/03/27/faceb...ds-engagement/

"A researcher reports that brands are getting an average 46% more engagement with Timeline" ... "Schoenfeld’s theory is that the larger images on Timeline are leading to more engagement with visual material"

What this means: what you lose in that default static message you more than gain back with the ability to highlight, pin and draw attention to visual stories and that's the trick of it visuals whether it's photos or videos drive harder. Before you judge your results or the change think about the experience not just in terms of the result you want but how a user is going to actually want to behave to get there.
    - Ted S

SitePoint Member limitlessonline0's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted S View Post
    As they say, the proof is in... well the numbers. We're very very early on in the process but consider these stats from some of the initial big brand conversions [not all are positive of course]:

http://mashable.com/2012/03/27/faceb...ds-engagement/

"A researcher reports that brands are getting an average 46% more engagement with Timeline" ... "Schoenfeld’s theory is that the larger images on Timeline are leading to more engagement with visual material"

What this means: what you lose in that default static message you more than gain back with the ability to highlight, pin and draw attention to visual stories and that's the trick of it visuals whether it's photos or videos drive harder. Before you judge your results or the change think about the experience not just in terms of the result you want but how a user is going to actually want to behave to get there.

You're right! .. many companies used fb today to enhance the exposure of their brands and also most people around the world uses social media as a tool for both enterprise and communication.. Timeline does give a hand to those companies.. I don't exactly know how does it work but I guess they're happy about it considering the profit lift... >.< thanks for your share ted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, Timeline is inevitable because it's a must. Facebook automatically changed my profile into Timeline. I guess we don't have any choice and learn to love it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought they still allow you to use custom layouts, though? It's just a timeline now.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You can, but there is little point in having it, take a look at this page http://www.facebook.com/americanexpress, the entire navigation is a whole lot different. You can only select a page through the top of the page. It's just not the same and don't give the same effect.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeAETemplates View Post
    I thought they still allow you to use custom layouts, though? It's just a timeline now.
    I don't like it too. I didn't install the Timeline application but it my page just became a timeline. It looks so clogged.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think its right. i also think facebook needed some change and they do it. but many company use facebook page and they spent more money for this change.i think it will be more useful to promote company product. such as cover photo. A company can use this option by their product image or photo. then many user understand about that product at a first glance. so i think this change not a bad thing . its a great change.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

logo development

Good day! I agree with you for those who have business one way to promote their product or services is through social media like Facebook, yahoo, twitter and etc. For those who have business I think timeline is very big impact to them because they use timeline to post their product or services. But for the personal use like me honestly timeline is no used for me in fact I find it hassle I'm prefer the old Facebook.
    Last edited by Ted S; Mar 27, 2012 at 20:53. Reason: Fake signature removed

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I hate the new FB timeline, it's not eyes-friendly and make the content looks more complicated. I use the free pagemodo to create fan page but it's still work the same. I guess because I use the free version.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We'll prob. have to change the way we design for Facebook and the way pages are ordered, if you need pages at all that is.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Facebook changes
    ow fan pages make width 810px and its a plus point for designers and developers.

Now designers concentrate on cover picture of fan page

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macfrank34 View Post
    Now designers concentrate on cover picture of fan page
    Be sure to view the rules for Cover Photos. While it's a huge opportunity the guidelines are presented for a reason... the cover is a place to show your culture, your experience, your brand... not to put a discount offer or sign up ad. http://www.facebook.com/help/?faq=276329115767498
    - Ted S

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be sure to view the rules for Cover Photos. While it's a huge opportunity the guidelines are presented for a reason... the cover is a place to show your culture, your experience, your brand... not to put a discount offer or sign up ad. http://www.facebook.com/help/?faq=276329115767498
    Yes you are right, If Facebook allowed offers ads something then 50% advertisers will not use Facebook ads

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ... and I was just about to do that. All that space and I can't do much with it. That sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by facebook
    Price or purchase information, such as "40% off" or "Download it at our website"
    Contact information, such as web address, email, mailing address or other information intended for your Page's About section
    References to user interface elements, such as Like or Share, or any other Facebook site features
    Calls to action, such as "Get it now" or "Tell your friends"
    Remind me what I would do with this space?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sega View Post
    ... and I was just about to do that. All that space and I can't do much with it. That sucks!

Remind me what I would do with this space?
    Sounds like you're approaching social as a place to broadcast your business. That's not the path to success.

As facebook's FAQ says, the cover is a great way to showcase what you do. If you sell products, a great shot of an item or the team building new stuff, if you have an app, a killer shot of it at play, etc.
    - Ted S

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone's going to have to deal with the changes that are happening in Facebook -- may it be an individual running a personal account, or an entity that handles a page. Sure, there have been a lot of changes in the layout, but wouldn't it be better if you looked at the change as more of an opportunity rather than something disadvantageous?

SitePoint Enthusiast shaadishoppe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed with Sega, Facebook is using its monopoly. Don't like the new interface of profile and custom pages. Just thinking of those business houses who spent lots of money on page designing and its concept. Even, cocacola page is not so good looking now. The landing page option is vanished. that really suck

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaadishoppe View Post
    Agreed with Sega, Facebook is using its monopoly. Don't like the new interface of profile and custom pages. Just thinking of those business houses who spent lots of money on page designing and its concept. Even, cocacola page is not so good looking now. The landing page option is vanished. that really suck
    What "monopoly?" IMO, Facebook is just preserving its brand from those who would use it to set up a branch office for their business. I don't blame them and I think it's a good idea. Why shouldn't their pages display the same cohesive look as do the pages on any other website?

I do agree that it was a big mistake on their part to give businesses the free rein they gave them at the beginning. The ability to add a business page to Facebook was never meant to be a "right". Unfortunately, business owners around the globe fail to understand the difference between a right and privilege.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

SitePoint Enthusiast waynemorrise's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's no wrong in having and wasting time/money to have a great Facebook page for your business. It is just there way to impress every user that their company had something to tell and offer to them. The more attractive, the more we get conscious right?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waynemorrise View Post
    There's no wrong in having and wasting time/money to have a great Facebook page for your business. It is just there way to impress every user that their company had something to tell and offer to them. The more attractive, the more we get conscious right?
    I'm not sure I follow what you're saying completely but it sounds like you're suggesting that a custom page is always more impressive to people and give them more reason to want to follow you. If so I'd strongly disagree -- a custom app can be a great tool but so many times they're simply used to advertise at people. As another social marketer said yesterday on twitter... giving out a coupon is no reason to puff out your chest and march around saying "look at how [good] we treat you".
    - Ted S