SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are your experiences with these apps?

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chronosmedia View Post
    What are your experiences with these apps?
    What apps are you talking about and who are you asking? As far as I read there have been no apps mentioned in this thread.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted S View Post
    You will need to use an app. Nothing fancy is required, just an included page that checks for the LIKE and then shows resulting HTML with the coupon code. You could extend that a bit to build in a sharing function, store locator, etc.

Here's a few app providers

- http://www.wildfire.com
    - http://www.votigo.com
    - http://www.involver.com

Of course there's implications of what this type of activity does towards the actual engagement / response to the page but that's another story....-
    I'm pretty familiar with Wildfire. But I have forgotten how it's exactly used.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best method to award people who like on facebook is provide them something free.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could award them with appreciation and engage in healthy interaction, provide speacil update feature for members, higher priority in promotional deals etc

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

I certainly agree with Alphaomegalady and Gerald. By all means, have you also considered spammers? What if they're just one person with multiple accounts? What if you get 1,000+ likes or more? That way, there's a huge possibility it harms your business because it's not going to meet your expected ROI anymore because of the discounts.

Though rewarding discounts to Facebook Likers is a good idea, but I would rather recommend you set a "contest," and whoever wins that gets the special discounts!

Sounds good?

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its a good idea. For participating in contests, users are usually required to provide some amount of personal information that is later verified incase they win, so there are more chances of users being genuine

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann.j View Post
    Its a good idea. For participating in contests, users are usually required to provide some amount of personal information that is later verified incase they win, so there are more chances of users being genuine
    If you're worrying about authecity forget asking for personal details which are easily spoofed and force them to enter via Facebook connect. Faking an entire account is possible but much less common then doing the same for a few details...

On a broader point I would of course challenge you to consider what the benefit is of having more "real" people entering your contest for your page... Aside from a bigger number on a stat page what will you gain? How will you use it to your, and their, benefit?
    - Ted S

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    ...what will you gain? How will you use it to ... their benefit?
    Sums it up quite well. Instead of trying to impress search engines and increase statistics, if all of us tried thinking from the user/visitor point of view, most of our questions would be answered and we would accomplish the first two goals as well as conversions from FaceBook, Twitter, Tumbler, etc. pages to web pages, where we are able to convert visitors to buyers.
    Linda Jenkinson

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The people who will be liking your facebook profile and entering the contest essentially have to be facebook members , without an account how can they make comments or perform any other facebook function? as for your 2nd question, we suggested the contest idea for the very reason that it will minimize number of spammers and provide us with only the pool of potential clients that genuinely are interested in the services we providing and not there for the sake of advertising their own products.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann.j View Post
    [A]s for your 2nd question, we suggested the contest idea for the very reason that it will minimize number of spammers and provide us with only the pool of potential clients that genuinely are interested in the services we providing and not there for the sake of advertising their own products.
    Hold on there... Are you suggesting that if I, as a user, enter a contest to get something for free, I am interested in the company giving it away as a result?
    - Ted S

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hold on there... Are you suggesting that if I, as a user, enter a contest to get something for free, I am interested in the company giving it away as a result?
    I think I get your point. My husband regularly enters HGTV's "Dream Home" sweepstakes. We laugh about it and "dream" of what we'd do with the too-big monstrosity of a house if he ever wins one. Still, we don't give a rip about their website, social media profiles, or TV station. Our focus is on the "free" not the substance of their promotion. Even Cracker Jacks quit putting decent toys in their product. I imagine because consumers care more about the quality of the product than about the free toy inside of it.

That said, the best way to get "likes" on Social Media is to engage your friends, followers, whatever with the content that interests them. That content needs to be relevant to your topic and their interests if you want real "likes" instead of just numbers in your profile.
    Linda Jenkinson

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyflower View Post
    I think I get your point. My husband regularly enters HGTV's "Dream Home" sweepstakes. We laugh about it and "dream" of what we'd do with the too-big monstrosity of a house if he ever wins one. Still, we don't give a rip about their website, social media profiles, or TV station. Our focus is on the "free" not the substance of their promotion. Even Cracker Jacks quit putting decent toys in their product. I imagine because consumers care more about the quality of the product than about the free toy inside of it.

That said, the best way to get "likes" on Social Media is to engage your friends, followers, whatever with the content that interests them. That content needs to be relevant to your topic and their interests if you want real "likes" instead of just numbers in your profile.
    Great example and very well put.

To be clear, I'm not advocating against contests... there can be times when they are very appropriate. However one has to think about how the promotion will stack up with their efforts -- getting more Likes is too often confused with getting more people who like your brand.
    - Ted S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am here to tell you that there is another loop hole are there.

Consider that if some one is like your page Discount code is shown. Means it's published. And after that what happen your Coupon code is just public automatically. So, at the end you get the business from sell. But what about FB page like?? No one like your page if they get Code from anywhere on the internet without doing this.

So, Think about it.

Another is Some FB user incase like your page. For Exmample:- Forget above problem and all people like your page they all get the code. after getting code they unlike your page. Then???
    Last edited by dhavalpandya; Jun 23, 2012 at 05:29. Reason: Spelling MI

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well i suppose you do have a point. even myself, i would really like an xyz page holding a contest until or unless i dont actually win the contest itself. Then surely i'd be praising the brand But some people may "like" your page if you promote yourself in a unique way that attracts new viewers in their first visit only and they actually want to give a chance at trying your brand atleast once so its about how convincing, interactive and creative you can be with old as well as new members to increase your "likes"....and then you must maintain that promise of consistency so that they become loyal customers.....Likes is definitely not an assurance that they are also your loyal customers

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think what type of "likes" you want will make a huge difference in the type of reward you will want to offer. Nowadays "discount codes" do not really cut it and largely ignored unless the industry is necessity based. From what I see you can:

-Give something valuable away for free (a bag of chips, a pack of gum, a drink, an appetizer etc.) for a "Like"

-Exchange money for "Likes". This is guaranteed but quality can vary greatly.

-Engage users and provide actual valuable content to those that are interested. Probably the most highly targeted "Likes"

-Participate in "Like" exchanges

There are so many ways to obtain likes its not really about the "Likes" themselves but boils more down to budget, time, expertise and business goals.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAden View Post
    I think what type of "likes" you want will make a huge difference in the type of reward you will want to offer. Nowadays "discount codes" do not really cut it and largely ignored unless the industry is necessity based. From what I see you can:

-Give something valuable away for free (a bag of chips, a pack of gum, a drink, an appetizer etc.) for a "Like"

-Exchange money for "Likes". This is guaranteed but quality can vary greatly.

-Engage users and provide actual valuable content to those that are interested. Probably the most highly targeted "Likes"

-Participate in "Like" exchanges

There are so many ways to obtain likes its not really about the "Likes" themselves but boils more down to budget, time, expertise and business goals.
    And how exactly would any of these [other than the second] actually help you or the user?
    - Ted S

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAden View Post
    This makes me think of someone actually posting something like this on Facebook and ending up having to give tons of iPads for free. You really have to think of these well before you actually start moving. It's going to help the user, yes. But how is that going to help you? Wouldn't that hurt you a lot more? Well, you can limit the number of likes that you're going to record and pick from the names, but still, it's one iPad that you have to give. Now, I'm not an Apple fan or anything, but have you considered the fact that the person just liked your page just because of the fact that you're giving an iPad away?
    Are you willing to become an SEO reseller?
    Work with a 100% white label SEO company today!

SitePoint Enthusiast ilovemedia's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A gift certificate maybe will do. I'm not so interested in monetary awards.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovemedia View Post
    A gift certificate maybe will do. I'm not so interested in monetary awards.

A certificate will do what? Besides get people to click "like" for something free and then go back to ignoring you that is...
    - Ted S

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hired a programmer for ​​a script to do just that. But I recommend you do not use just "like", but "share". It is much more powerful promotion that way.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being on facebook is not about BEING on a SOCIAL NETWORK, it is about BEING SOCIAL in order to NETWORK.

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4mdesigners View Post
    Being on facebook is not about BEING on a SOCIAL NETWORK, it is about BEING SOCIAL in order to NETWORK.
    I truly love that! It sums it up concisely and perfectly. Problem is there are too many people that believe the best way to promote business is to mix it in with pleasure. *sigh*
    Linda Jenkinson

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyflower View Post
    I truly love that! It sums it up concisely and perfectly. Problem is there are too many people that believe the best way to promote business is to mix it in with pleasure. *sigh*
    Thanks. There are also people who are more concerned about technology changes. I believe technology does involve but need of communication stays the same.

If we communicate well, accept criticism both -ve and +ve then there is no point we cant build a better community of loyal fans

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we use an app, which announcess a fan of the week on our facebook page. so people would like to comment, like as well as share our posts.