SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy SERIOUS problems in Netscape!!!

Hey,

I'm having some seriously strange problems in netscape. I got a message that the site http://www.askerkonferansesenter.no doesn't work in netscape. I downloaded the 4.08 version. And it looks totally freaky!

The navigation to the left is not working. And it also stretches beyond recognition. I doesn't seem like netscape agrees with my CSS, and it has also omitted the background... There should have been two stripes of bricks on either side of the site. Although there is no crisis if the background doesn't work. I NEED the navigation.

Can anyone with a newer netscape version (and possibly also Mozilla) check it for me. And if you can, I would REALLY appreciate some help!!

Andy

P.S. The site is in Norwegian, but the problems are universal, so the language shouldn't matter for any non-Norwegian helping hands out there. (And I can imagine that most of the hands out there are just that... Non-Norwegian)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, it looks all right to me in Mozilla. I have attached a screenshot of how it looked like in Mozilla.. i think i'm seeing what i'm supposed to see. As for netscape, i'm really not sure. I don't use netscape and nor do i know a lot abt it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks fine in Mozilla. But in my 4.08 Netscape it looks like this...

Any tips on why?
    Attached Images Attached Images

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy blufive's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In short, Netscape 4.x + CSS = Disaster.

It only supports a fraction of CSS, and large parts of what it does "support" it handles completely different from any other browser.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there any way that I can make the CSS do the same thing in older Netscape browser. The navigation doesn't work at all... And the navigation is after all, quite important.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try using the @import for your current css page. NN4.x will ignore this CSS while new browsers will bring it in. Then you can create a simple style sheet for the NN4.x users and bring it in the normal way.

<style type="text/css">
    <!--
    @import url("newerbrowser.css");
    -->
    </style>
    <link href="NN4.css" rel="stylesheet" media="screen" title="For Netscape4" type="text/css" />

Don't worry about making NN4.x the exact same as it is for current browsers just make it usable.
    Apathetic Activist.
    reames.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will this import thing work in the newer browsers only?

What "technology" is this @import thing? Will it work with the .htm suffix? (Ok, don't laugh if this is a stupid question, I'm no expert, and when you use the SSI, you have to have .shtm don't you? that's why I ask...)

Thanx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @import is not ssi. It's a way to use a style sheet but only newer browsers support it. NN4 and lower and IE 4 and lower only support the css link. It is used to use css that newer browsers can support while giving css to the older browsers that they can understand.

For example my site Midwest Energy uses this method to give a style sheet to those browsers that can support it and another to NN4 users. Netscape 4 users will not see the site exactly as people with newer browsers but they will still have a working site that is similar to the other. Look at the site in NN4 and other browsers. This is the code I use. Feel free to view-source.

<style type="text/css">
    <!--
    @import url("/includes/new-style.css");
    -->
    </style>

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" title="Standard" href="/includes/mweNN.css" />
    <link rel="alternate stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" title="Bigtext" href="/includes/new-style2.css" />
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="print" href="/includes/print.css" />
    Apathetic Activist.
    reames.org

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy blufive's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @import is part of CSS. Presumably its main purpose is to allow you to have a common style sheet used across your site, and define separate style sheets for sub-sets of pages which include the main CSS via @import.

I suspect that it's mostly by accident that it also functions as a good way to sort "bad" browsers from "good" in CSS terms.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanx-a-million guys! It worked!

Now the page works in Netscape too, not very pretty, but it works...