SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Drupaler bronze trophy greg.harvey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Annoying Mozi and Netscape 6 bugz

Can anyone help with this? My site looks great in IE (well they always do, don't they?!) but I have these bugs.

1. Netscape 6 is ignoring font-size: 65%.
    2. Mozi is screwing up the layer positions, even though they're absolute and look fine in Netscape 6, Opera and IE.
    3. Opera appears to ignore the overflow: auto line.

Why why why why why???!!!!

Any ideas?

G

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's odd, my sites always look great in Mozilla and most gecko based browsers but not in many IE versions?

Anyway, Netscape 6 had some problems and percentage based font sizing may have been one of them. Also percentage font sizing varies with support in some browsers. Some base the percentage on the base font size others on it's parent, i.e. if you have tables font size at 65% and use nested tables the nested tables will be 65% of 65%. Percentage based font sizing is tricky.

Don't know what to tell you about the layers. Is it coded according to the w3.org specs?

Some versions of Opera do not have full CSS support, the overflow: auto may be one of them.

Good luck.
    Apathetic Activist.
    reames.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your reply.

I'm aware of the annoying 65% of 65% issue. Actually, if I use span tags instead of a table class that might wake Netscape up .... just occured to me. At the moment the HTML is

Code:
    <table ... class="bodyfont">
    This might work in Netscape:

Code:
    <table>
    <tr>
    <td>
    <span class="bodyfont">Copy here ... </span>
    </td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    Had to use a table cos the client doesn't like the copy butting up to the scroll bar in the layer -- needed to pad it out a bit ...

Layers are to W3C spec:

Code:
    style="position:absolute; left:0px; top:0px; width:795px; height:500px; z-index:1"
    Not in a separate style sheet (yet), but that shouldn't make a difference .... It's the left:0px that it appears to be ignoring and indenting some layers slightly in Mozi.

This is Opera 6 so you'd think they would've addressed it by now -- evidently not! I think it just isn't supported -- well, I haven't got time to lose sleep over that one!

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the layers you may try and margin and padding everything to 0 first, perhaps in the body: style to give all browsers a clean starting point. It may not work but it's all I can think of right now.

Also margin or padding may help to keep the copy off the scroll bar as well. It might help to remove an unnecessary table.

Good luck
    Apathetic Activist.
    reames.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I'll give it a go and let you know what happened. The top two layers, oddly enough, sit fine in the page but the bottom two indent slightly, though in line with one another ....

I appreciate your help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good thinking Batman! That's fixed Mozi!!

Edit:

And the <span> tags fixed N6 so since I can't do anything about shoddy CSS support in Opera, that's as good as it gets. Thanks for your help, rreames.
    Last edited by greg.harvey; Nov 12, 2002 at 09:04.