Thread: Qrter.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Qrter.com

Hi,
    Recently I have created Qrter.com, which lists up to date news from major websites such as Zdnet, Cnet etc... and presents related news.

http://www.qrter.com

<title class="lol"> bronze trophy TehYoyo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sorry no one's critiqued your site yet.

So it's kind of like reddit I suppose?

What I usually do when I critique a site is to view it at small-ish view and view it zoomed out to check for bg errors. Applying these same methods to your site, your bg passes w/out issue (plain white) but when I view it at not fullscreen, the search bar causes me problems. Even when I use the Windows 7 snap-to feature to view it at half of my monitor width (720 px), the search bar extends out to fill what I assume is your container div. It extends past the red bar. I went to fullscreen browsing and noticed that your search bar is obscenely large. Why do you need a search bar that big? A simple, normal-size search bar will suffice, unless you want to use a percentage-width (fluid) search bar.

I'm sorry, but I don't like the design. The color scheme is nice (although I'm not a fan of blue links - at least you took off the default underline), but I would recommend using something less aggressive (or just...not black and red). Also, it's a bit plain. Get some images! Get some colors! Do something to spice it up a little bit. While it loads instantly as a byproduct of imageless content, it's a little too plain for me.

~TehYoyo

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sign2go View Post
    Hi,
    Recently I have created Qrter.com, which lists up to date news from major websites such as Zdnet, Cnet etc... and presents related news.

http://www.qrter.com
    Hi sign2go,

First of all, I'm totally new to website design and I'm generally not good with any design stuff. So I'm just giving my opinions and impressions as a user.

In terms of look/feel: I generally like minimalism and simplicity so I'm inclined to like it. Maybe slightly too minimalistic though. I think there's room for a little bit more. Even if each news story (or just some of them) had a thumbnail photo for it, it might look better.

Not sure if the search facility is working. It didn't produce any hits when I searched for several terms I'd seen amongst the news article listings. Well actually, I don't know if it returned hits or not: it just said "Summary:" "Complete Story:" and that was it.

Seem to be a lot of 'news' articles from Apple just advertising new songs. Is that intentional? Doesn't really seem like news to me. How about some adding info about what the website is for? On the site itself, I mean.

Viewed it with Chrome 17.0.963.65, resolution 1920x1080.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The links under "All News" look like text ads. Are they? Only the links under 'Latest Articles' look like actual news. Right now, I'm not seeing anything that would keep a visitor on your site long enough to click on a link.

I would make the text larger and make the news source stand apart from the headline. Right now, the news source link looks like part of the headline. You may want to try a pale background color and change the link colors to something other than the default blue. All these things would make the news feed look like a news feed.

Check out Google's news aggregator for ideas:

http://news.google.com/

Images would help drive CTR, but of course, you may not have the rights to images if you're aggregating.

The text size used for 'Latest News' is too small.

Using text ads makes the site a wall of text, which is daunting too most people. You can alleviate some of their eyestrain by making text larger and adding more whitespace, but image ads will look better. OTOH, text ads tend to have a much higher CTR, so this may not be doable for you.

Consider giving different sections a different background color to help delineate your layout and increase visual interest.

You may want to use a larger header with a more inviting color scheme or image. Feed the eyes! You can get some ideas here:

http://www.freewebpageheaders.com/gallery/

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with @TehYoyo that the design is very plain. That is not a bad thing, it's just plain. When I look at the site, I am asking what the designer is trying to do for me? What makes this site different? Sure, it aggregates news and stuff, but how is that different than the numerous other sites out there? There is a lot of content, but sometimes, less is more.

The text overall is a little small, I would increase it a bit. Looks to be 10pt or so, maybe try 12pt?

It lacks personality. That is bad for now, but it gives you a great opportunity to inject some. Is this site a reflection of you? If not, why not? If this was not your site, would you visit it more than once? If so, why? If not, why?

Try to think of a theme for the site and what you want visitors to feel when they visit. Do you want them to feel informed, happy, excited?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The website looks nice and modern, lots of content, kept me busy for awhile anyway nice job.

SitePoint Enthusiast bronze trophy xMog's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well, it's really clean IMO. I think that your challenge will be getting traffic and keeping it. There's a lot of aggregators out there (popurls for example). But what makes your site unique and will make people want to bookmark it and come back? What's the difference between using your site and just subscribing to their RSS posts?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, Wow your site looks great, easy to navigate and very catchy with bright colours. i do feel I'm more drawn to your ads- I'm guessing through adsense more then the contents. I would suggest having a more "Top Stories" section of stories that are either new or the most popular reads. I also find you may want to fill up the bottom areas on the front page- may add more categories or something as for some insane reason- i always go to the bottom of the front page- lol. It loos great through very clean.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being a news site, your design fits the content However it gives me a very 90's look (like reading a newspaper). This is just an opinion, but I think you'd get more hits if designed it slightly more trendy like MSN news or yahoo news. Good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Reviews

1) On Google Chrome the Main Menu Disappears..On IE it works fine...
    2) The content Font size is too small...
    3) Try adding a few images for categories like Movies , Travel , Politics etc... which would give it a better look..
    4) No Twitter or Facebook follow pages ....get that done as you can Post or Tweet the news to the social networking sites...
    5) The keywords which you have on inner pages..make them hyperlink and link it to a result page with articles with the same keywords...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    0. Add INTERESTING/SHOCKING news to the top, highlight it.
    1. Align the top ad or the main navigation so everything is centered or on the left, this way it loox scattered.
    2. Add some thumbnails to articles!
    3. Use more white space!, everything is so stuffed.
    4. Your site won´t survive if you just add content, trying to increase traffic and earn by adding some ads. Make your site so users will return!