SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weight Loss Forums

I have recently opened a weight loss forum to help people get ideas and support in their weight loss journey. We mainly discuss how to lose weight, diets, exercise, recipes and most importantly we share our struggles and what's working or not.

The forum runs on vbulletin, 4.x. I have tweaked the main vb design, to add my own elements, but it can surely use more tweaking.

How does this forum look to you? Does it entice you to join? How can I make it more appealing? What would you add to it?

Thank you in advance for your ideas and support.

SitePoint Zealot bronze trophy xMog's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The look is fine for a forum but the first thing I would change would be the header. It's way too big (in height). I have a big screen with a crazy resolution and I just see 3 forums at the bottom of the main page.

Here's what I would do :
    Remove the apple/orange/lime image, it's too big and take too much space for nothing.

The content in the "Lose weight and earn money too" and "All the support you need to lose weight" appears to be similar. You could make a smaller content box on the right maybe? Or take all the width of the header (if your remove the Apple image) at least, so the first posts and forum features would be higher.

Other than that, it looks like a nice forum. I guess that the major work will be keeping it alive and marketing it!

good luck!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I generally like the site and I think the content is pretty good when it comes to actual site visitors. The main design theme is well-fitting.

Something that I don't particularly like is the forum section titles, which all start with the same 2 words: "Weight Loss". I have a feeling that you probably did this intentionally for the search engines to rank you higher in that particular category, but it is awfully difficult for a new user to navigate the forums and find all the subcategories if they have to read through "Weight Loss" every time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very well designed forum! The front page is clear. I disagree with xMog on the header being too big. It has a call to action in it, and it is appealing!
    Maarten

SitePoint Zealot bronze trophy xMog's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maartenvr View Post
    Very well designed forum! The front page is clear. I disagree with xMog on the header being too big. It has a call to action in it, and it is appealing!
    It could be smaller and have the same "call to action"

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good design but I think you can make content body wider.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beau-ti-ful! As hostlistman mentioned, maybe make it wider or fluid. The category title background might be nicer if they weren't so light (the green color - maybe the same tint as in the header?). Love the layers of fruit in the header, looks very fresh!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dojo View Post
    I have recently opened a weight loss forum to help people get ideas and support in their weight loss journey. We mainly discuss how to lose weight, diets, exercise, recipes and most importantly we share our struggles and what's working or not.

The forum runs on vbulletin, 4.x. I have tweaked the main vb design, to add my own elements, but it can surely use more tweaking.

How does this forum look to you? Does it entice you to join? How can I make it more appealing? What would you add to it?

It looks great! My only qualm is your header - its way too big. Other than that, nice work!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good choice of colours for the background and navigation elements, supplying perfectly contrastful surroundings for the classical "BOB".

Especially I like the logo: it looks appetizing, giving the idea that loosing weight can be tasty.

Congratulations, good job!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the design of your site. Those fruits indeed look tasty!

However, I have some tips:
    -the links in the menu don't work (I think you know that).
    -In IE 8, the support and privacy menu links have a line through them, not showing up properly
    -Create a favicon!
    -What is the point of the "What's new" feature of the forum ?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello,
    cheers for the weight loss forum! It seems that it's a big disease of modern society.

Anyway, some highlights of the design that i don't like (they can pass, but i would change them at some point):
    • The dark green in the navigation. It's too dark and seems somehow misplaced.
    • The forum icon(s) - maybe remove the green background and just leave the logo (maybe make it a little bigger).

Things i like
    • The logo. I don't know if it's a stock image or not, but i think it looks good.
    • promo div. Very well blended, looks good.

That's my two cents. Hope I helped.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do agree. One thing I also noticed. The header is too wide which occupies extra space for the forum threads. Make it smaller and cut some of the introductions.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you considered to put some google adsense there? Adding a social bookmarking will help to make your site more popular.
    Facebok like button is always my my favourite.
    Last edited by ralph.m; Sep 29, 2011 at 07:40. Reason: link too self promotional

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for your ideas and support. Wasn't online here for a while, since I moved another site on VB (will ask for a separate review) and the theme design took a while. I'll need to make some changes on the forums, based on your ideas. Thank you again, they were terrific.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first thing I noticed when I went to the forum site was that, unlike a lot of other weight loss sites, yours doesn't seem geared towards women only: the green color choice and apple image speaks to healthy eating. This is good, as I think a lot of men are turned off by most weight loss sites as they appeared designed for women. The next thing I noticed was the banner telling me I can lose weight and make money. I realize why this is an important promotional aspect of your business, but I feel that it should not be featured so prominently. Legitimate users are coming to your site for emotional help and the last thing you want to do is come across as if you are enticing them with an offer to make $. I would place this somewhere else, perhaps in the individual threads, and use the freed up space for more compelling copy.

Nothing happens when I hit the about, contact us, etc. buttons. I assume that these simply haven't been set up yet, but just in case, I'm running chrome. Probably good to put up disclaimer regarding medical advice and all that. Also, just an idea: as your forum participant numbers grow, try to spot members who a) can write and b) have an interesting story. Then invite them to mini-blog about their experiences (like Heather in your read their story section found on the main page). Finally, I would consider a photo of a not-perfect looking person somewhere on the forum page. Your home page features a pretty thin and hot looking couple of models, and the forum has ads of buff looking trainers and all that. If I was looking to feel safe spilling my guts on a weight loss forum, I would want to see images of normal looking, perhaps semi-fit types. Too many "success" images might make me feel unwanted.

Overall I enjoyed the site and think you have a promising forum for such a popular topic.

Non-Member bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    absurdly undersized fonts, tiny fixed-width stripe, and a third of a megabyte page-load... it's accessibility hell AND for a weight loss site, it could stand to lose some weight itself.

Of course being vBull4 -- you might want to do yourself a favor and switch to a forum software that won't cost you four times as much to host as necessary and drive users AWAY from the site. I still can't believe they have the giant brass monkey balls to charge money for that bloated steaming pile of manure.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The forum looks good. You can keep the header as it looks better than many forums.
    It is enticing to join.
    Can the amount of forums be reduced?
    Would shorter category titles be better? Diet, training, succes stories, problems, surgery. Maybe remove the preceding Weight loss -

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A larger font would be better.

A larger font would be better. If possible, why not?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice skin, but the way you name you category title is not good. You should use "Exercise" instead of "Weight Loss - Exercise", it's better
    Download Free website template, power point template at http://onlinetemplate.net

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I really like the design but some things do't seem to be working but I think you know that already so you are probably going to fix it at some point.

Good job! (better than mine)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The design looks really good. Discussion can always help people in need i hope it takes off and you get a good userbase

<snip />
    Last edited by guido2004; Jan 18, 2012 at 10:25. Reason: wait 90 days for a signature

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The footer looks wide but the color and concept is very impressive...great job!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good advice in a website that is well laid out. I also am a fan of the minimalism. You can comfortably read the articles without being distracted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My anti-virus soft detected a virus at this website!
    The things I would remake:
    1) Main menu buttons - they seem to me quite big "Technology", "Money" etc.
    2) The text at the bottom of the page "Top Authors" and "Tags" is also big
    3) Google banner on the top - I would replace it! It looks like a headline of the website
    Good luck,
    Fokebox
    Submit your URL for free at Open Directory www.livewebmap.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey,

Great use of colours and overall an effective design. The only thing that looks out of place for me is the default combo boxes for topics and archives, They look quite tacky... Could you try like a custom combo-box that would complement the colour palette, or menu that would slide down to reveal the options?

Regards Zeanuws