Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Just Blow It bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by itmitică View Post
    Hi Dave,

Thanks for looking over. Very good suggestions. Already put some of them to good use.

Nice ones. It really is better like you've suggested.
    That looks better. All I personally would do is make the box a little wider, then move "to handle" up a line. This would provide you some more whitespace in the speech bubble - it looks a little cramped now.

I've outlined the world, it's not good. I may use some text shadow on the tagline.

I'll rotate it, put some solid above.
    Agreed - not sure the best approach to solve it - it might be easier to shift the tagline off the world as a last resort....

I actually made that one softer by intent. It supposed to be a check mark disguised as a house ("home for your I.T.") w/o a roof, from a soft material, so it wouldn't cast a strong shadow. However I made it stronger now, not sure if it's better though.: update, not better, reverted.
    Is that what it's supposed to be? I couldn't tell....

They are indented, I don't like them being on the edges.
    OK - you're choice. I thought it looked like a mistake, that's all. But if you like it....

This one throws people off it seems. And I'm glad it does. But I'm afraid you're making a confusion here. The columns only serve as a display wall for them, they're not making part of the same element.

The social links and the copyright note are all in the footer. I raised the footer over the section element above to make a 3D effect for the icons similar to the one in the header (like them standing over a hill or something), so they all are at the same level. They were lower, but Jason suggested to put them higher.
    If I'm not the only one confused by it, then either a) the intended effect isn't clear enough or b) then perhaps the look just isn't working. If Jason suggested higher, then I would guess he meant the whole way up, not half and half - it looks like a mistake to me.

If you mean the copyright note is too dark, I'll see if I can find another way to create a contrast there.
    The color is definitely too dark, especially in such a limited space. If it was spread across the whole page, then it wouldn't be a eye catcher. But the fact that it's small and in the middle of the page, draws attention away from the content to the footer, which is not how you want the flow of your eye to work.
    Dave Maxwell - Manage Your Site Team Leader
    My favorite YouTube Video! | Star Wars, Dr Suess Style

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To solve the appearance of the social icons, what you could try is adding a horizontal border above it. That might give it a more 3-dimensional sort of look and visually separate it better from the columns...
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few good improvements, thanks to you Dave.

I've put smaller (1em instead of 2em) left margin on the logo. I moved up the social links in the footer. I've put a text shadow on the tagline.

Tell me that at least that those looks like the walls of a house. Or, at least, tell me that it looks good LOL

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Maleika, 9 o'clock and no sleep?!

Ho do the social links look like to you now? My aim is to make them look like being cast over a hill or something, a border would cut the design, I want a flow.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean something like this:

mitica1.jpg

It's not good, but it illustrates what I mean.

PS: I don't sleep until 3-4am usually.

As for whether I find it confusing, well, a bit, but it didn't stick out to me as faulty design, but I can see how they can be visually associated with the column content.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I see what you mean. Originally, in the design I had a shadow at the top of the footer gradient, just like the one for the bottom of the header. But I didn't like it so I left it out.

I tried a few with a border instead right now, but I don't like the result. I'll have to sleep on this one.

PS: EVERY DAY UNTIL 3-4am? When do you get up in the morning?

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not everyday, but I have insomnia, so I often go to sleep at late (or is that early?) hours, sometimes even between 8-10am.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Dave,

I've made the speech bubble bigger now. Thanks for the tips.

I'll see about the copyright note.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maleika, my advice.

Don't worry, I sleep enough for two, so your missing sleep isn't wasted, the planet as a whole sleeps the same amount. LOL!

Nice tip about the "an". I know you are a philologist by training.

Non-Member bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use HAML and SASS. I love them. I tried Compass. I love Compass less. Sprites in Compass, like in some other automated tools for sprites, can be canvas space wasters since they create only a column/row of graphics by default. One may tweak this, but it will be satisfying only up to a point.
    I'm usually not a big fan of 'tools' for things like that.... HAML and SASS to me seems needlessly cryptic and just adds another layer of abstraction to somethign that already is knee deep in abstractions. One of the pages explaining HAML actually says "Doesn't that just make you smile" -- and looking at the example before it... no, it makes me wince.

YMMV. To me, there's enough abstraction without layering more **** on top of it. More you overtake the plumbing, easier it is to stop up the drain.

If the images don’t have comparable dimensions, one of the bigger image will dictate the maxwidth/maxheight of the final sprite, while the rest of the images will only occupy down to only a small portion of their assigned column/row.

If one can live with that, it’s fine, it’s not that much worse. I’ve decided I’m going to manually build it. Just not yet.

A matter of interpretation, like any semantics. I’ll cover this in more detail below.
    A heading tag is for marking the start of a new section/subsection of the page; you're not doing that there -- lower order (higher numbered) headings are for saying "this is a subsection of the heading before it") -- so what you've done here is said that "programming","consulting", etc are subsections of "Home for your IT"... which... I dunno, doesn't make sense.

Using a H2 for a tagline rarely makes any sense -- since you're not starting a new subsection of the page... At the very least I'd make it a P or a DIV so you aren't making header navigators (many browsers let you navigate pages by the heading tags) waste time on an extra layer.

Go into Opera, use w/d to see what I mean, or use the web developer toolbar and pull up a document outline.

I’m not sure what you mean about uneven padding. On the contrary, they’re pretty much evenly padded and aligned with each other.
    Gaps above the h3 and the dividing border below the h3 don't match, they aren't the same as the gap between that line and the h4's, the gap between the P and a h4 following it is easily twice what it is above the first H4 of each column, the right padding of the paragraphs is uneven with the left (as evidenced by the word "connect" under the "internet" h4 and the "need, I" under "digital" being flush against the side with no evident padding), and the space between those contact/social icons isn't the same as the columns, further making the overlap and oddball spacings look like a rendering error. The "itmitica - home for your IT" part and the language button feels like it's just slapped in there any old place.

Though as a rule I don't consider 4 equal columns filled with fixed height areas "viable for web deployment" in the first place -- since it shoehorns you into a fixed layout -- YMMV.

Lists are easily abused.
    Agreed, that's no reason not to use them on things it's pretty much universally agreed they go on.

My menu is a list, an enumeration. It’s not a sentence, I use nav and not p. As such, it’s not suppose to be looked at as a sentence, you should not try that, it’s wrong.
    Using NAV doesn't change the use of a bunch of inline-level elements -- anchors do not apply semantics or breaks between the words, it's WHY menus go into list tags so you have block level separation. If I was to make a <a href="somewhere">sentence like this</a> with an anchor in the middle of it, that's still a sentence without any changes to it's meaning... that's what you've done on your menu. NAV just says it's navigation -- it does NOT say the anchors inside it are not all the same run-on... which of course is part of why I consider NAV a pointless extra wrapper... Just like section; since numbered heading tags and horizontal rules are supposed to mark the start of sections or changes in topics. We already have semantic tags for that -- and most people can't use them correctly; throwing MORE tags at it is not the answer.

Which is why when a screen reader hits that NAV, it's just going to read clear through with no stops, which is why if you turn off CSS, it not only looks odd, it's hard to follow and blurs together as one giant run-on... You have seen your page CSS off, right? Again, progressive enhancement -- why semantic markup should be in place before one even THINKS about applying style/layout to it.

As I understand, you believe I should have only one wrapper, for body.
    But that’s a different solution for a different problem.
    My design asks for a wrapper in each header, section, footer. That makes for three wrappers.
    I need every one of them, maybe it’s not that obvious at this point, with the current content in the footer, and it doesn’t look excessive to me.
    That you don't need.

The div row purpose is to top align every other h4 after every other h3.
    Yeah, for the fixed height thing -- I kind-of missed that since it's not something, as I said above, I consider viable for web deployment since it shoe-horns you into a fixed layout and will be a total disaster if later on you decide to change their content. It's also why the padding between rows looks willy-nilly, lining them up when their contents aren't the same height. Fixed height + content area == no-no in my book.

Though I see people doing it, and ending up with broken layouts because of it, ALL THE TIME.

For me it doesn’t make sense what you’re proposing. While you may say mine pushes the envelope, I would say yours pushes the boundaries.
    (back to the h1/h2 thing) -- What makes those separate headings and the starts of separate subsections of the page? That's what it comes down to -- you use a heading tag you ask "is this a new subsection?" -- if it's not, what are you using a heading tag for? If anything it's part of the same heading.,, if you don't consider it part of the same heading, give it a DIV or some other block-level container so you aren't starting a whole new sub-section of the page for no reason.

Off Topic:

As for pushing the envelope, remember that originated in aviation -- for a chart of speed vs. altitude... faster going to the right and higher going up. I would point out that on a envelope the upper right corner is where the postage gets cancelled.

For me, changing the language for a website is an aside service, provided outside the content in the page, and outside navigation between pages for a specific language of that site.
    I can kind-of see that, but given the lack of content or relevance to what it's kin to... but again just part of why I'm NOT a fan of any of the HTML 5 Bullcookies. None of the new "structural" elements make the least bit of sense or seem to serve any real purpose apart from placating the people who until a year or two ago were vomiting up HTML 3.2 and slapping a tranny doctype on it -- slapping endless pointless DIV around things, and of course prior to the 'tables are evil' rhetoric were slapping tables around things for no reason. NAV, SECTION, HEADER, FOOTER -- they're all just the same pointless garbage in a fancy new suit.

HTML 5 -- It's Pirelli's Miracle Elixer.
    Off Topic:

'Twas Pirelli's Miracle elixir
    That's what did the trick, sir,
    True, sir, true.

Or more accurately:

What is this?
    Smells like piss
    Smells like, ew!
    What is this?
    This is piss.
    Piss with ink

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jason,
    I have to disagree on a few things.

First off, to make every other h4 align with each other, the row has this:

Code:
    min-height: 9em;
    so we're not talking about fixed height. At all. It's easier to anticipate how many rows of text I'll have, and that makes em a perfect candidate for my alignment.

And the horizontal alignment is perfect. You don't agree with the vertical flow of space, that's another thing.

Every columns of content in section element and every social link and its icon in footer don't have to be aligned, that's the thing. It's a design work that they overlap and create a 3D effect (whishful thinking?).

I need the wrapper in every of the header, section, footer.

Anchors don't convey semantics, but nav conveys enough semantics. If you recognize nav as an element, which it seems you don't.

I'm glad you see why I chose aside for language redirect. Your problem with HTML5 is not mine though, I like HTML5.

Finally, HAML and SASS are really good, once you try them.

Take this for example:

Code:
    !!!
    %html{:dir => "ltr", :lang => "en"}
      %head
        %meta{:charset => "utf-8"}/

%body
        %header
          .wrapper
            %h1
              %a{:href => "/", :title => "I.T. Mitică"} I.T. Mitică
    as opposed to this

Code:
    <!DOCTYPE html>
    <html dir='ltr' lang='en'>
      <head>
        <meta charset='utf-8' />
      </head>

<body>
        <header>
          <div class='wrapper'>
            <h1>
              <a href='/' title='I.T. Mitică'>I.T. Mitică</a>
            </h1>

</body>
    </html>
    To me it's certainly clearer and DRY-er.

Or this
    Code:
    @each $socialLink in mail, twit, faceb, linked {
      ##{$socialLink} {
        background: url('../img/#{$socialLink}.png') top center no-repeat;
      }
    }
    as opposed to this

Code:
    #mail { background: url("../img/mail.png") top center no-repeat; }

#twit { background: url("../img/twit.png") top center no-repeat; }

#faceb { background: url("../img/faceb.png") top center no-repeat; }

#linked { background: url("../img/linked.png") top center no-repeat; }
    You just have to open to new things. Not all are good, but some of them are worthy.

Non-Member bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Code:
    min-height: 9em;
    so we're not talking about fixed height.
    You list code for fixing the height, then say it's not fixed?!? Just because EM's get bigger doesn't make that not be a fixed height declaration.

Anchors don't convey semantics, but nav convey enough semantics. If you recognize nav as an element, which it seems you don't.
    Yes, it says it's navigation, it does NOT break inline level content inside it into pieces -- which is the part of what I'm saying you seem to be missing. (again, take a screen reader to it or view it CSS off.)

HAML and SASS are really good, once you try them.

Take this for example:
    To me that first one is eye-gougingly uselessly crtypic -- it's like something out of a C obfuscation project or that idiotic "Rust" programming language. You've heard of RUST, right, the language for people for whom C was a bit too verbose? (which is like saying the Puritans who came to Boston in 1630 did so because the CoE was a bit too warm and fuzzy for their tastes).

You've probably noticed in my code I'm NOT a fan of abbreviations or having anything be cryptic. Oh noes, I might have to type an extra four characters per line to make it clear what's going on -- NOT THAT.

But again, I cut my teeth hand coding machine language and then went right into Wirth family languages -- as I've said several dozen times C and C syntax languages are so needlessly and pointlessly cryptic I'd rather hand compile 8k of assembly language and enter it on toggle switches one bit at a time on a Cosmac Elf, than deal with the absolute train wreck that is your average 20 lines of C code.

... and HAML just strikes me as that same "How hard can we make this for no good reason" type of coding. The type of thing that exists for the sole purpose of making programming MORE difficult.

SASS I can at least almost understand the point of... Variables are nice; but back-referencing them is a pain in the ass leading to the eventual need for another tool like a cross-referencer like you were back dealing with line numbered basic 30 years ago when variables could only be one letter long.

It's like all the things we got rid of 20 or so years ago as being bad practice, sloppy coding, and uselessly cryptic are back with a vengeance.

That said, back on topic with suggestions:

One other observation... your HEAD area...

TITLE is for the window, tab, search engine text for link -- NOT for stuffing with keywords for nothing... Say where they are, and that's it.

META[description] is for a natural language text describing the page and what it is, NOT for stuffing with keywords for nothing apart from trying to get slapped down by the search engines. Said text should appear on your SERP below the link.

Example SERP Listing:
    <h2><a href="linkToYourSite">TITLE</a></h2>
    <p>META[description]</p>

That's what those are for.

META[keywords] is for saying six to eight keywords that appear in your body text, NOT for stuffing with phrases or repeating terms that don't even appear ON your page. Using words that aren't on your page is why search engines started 'ignoring' it in the first place. (if they all have relevance to the page, they aren't - in my experience - ignored!)... There's also no reason to repeat the same words or characters over and over inside it; think of it like a word jumble... so where you have:

Code:
        <meta content='Dumitru Ungureanu, Mitica, I.T. specialist, Modern I.T. Education, I.T. Service and Assistance, I.T. Consulting, I.T. Guidance, I.T. Advice, Computer Courses, Software, Hardware, Programmer, Programming, Web Programming, Database Programming, Falticeni, Suceava' name='keywords' />
    'Dumitru Ungureanu','web programming','database programming' are ignored because there are no perfect matches on the page. While the individual words appaear, if there's no perfect match it doesn't work. Splitting those into the separate words would work better, then you're not wasting time saying 'programming' twice.

... and personally I'm not a fan proper names as keywords on a site like this, since that's not actually something people are going to search for.

'specialist', 'service and assistance', 'guidance', 'advice', 'computer courses' all are ignored outright, and are likely getting the entire META ignored (again why people think it's ignored completely now -- they're just not using it right) since none of those actually appear on the page.

'I.T.' Punctuation in keywords is ignored, because it's supposed to be WORDS... That's then treated as "it" -- and "it" is a stop-word, making the entire property ignored!

This:
    Code:
    <meta
    	name="keywords"
    	content="Education,Assistance,Consulting,Advice,Software,Hardware,Programmer,Programming,Web,Database"
    />
    Is still a bit too long at eleven of them, but it's less than 80 characters -- Still, far, far better at serving the entire point of using the keywords meta. Again it's called keywords -- not keyphrases, not keysentences, and NOT "words and phrases you want to try to rank for that don't even appear on the page" -- it's for "key words in your BODY that you want to rank for".

It's an older site, but SEOWorkers Online SEO Tools (one of the few online tools I consider useful) will explain things like that. We run your page through it:

TITLE TAG

[!] The title tag contains 121 characters which is too long.

[+] The title tag relevancy to the page content is 100% which is perfect.

[!] The title contains stop words which are ignored by the most search engines.

Stop Words:it ,and

META Description Tag

[!] The description meta tag contains 227 characters which is too long.

[!] The description meta tag relevancy to the page content is 100% which is perfect.

I think their tool dropped the ball or got confused, you have to remember it's probably treating "I.T." as the personal pronoun "it". Especially since a number of those words don't even appear on the page... but description is fairly forgiving since it's supposed to be natural language plaintext explaining what the page is...

META Keywords Tag

[!] The keywords meta tag contains 17 keywords / keyphrases which are too many.

[+] The keywords meta tag relevancy to the page content is 100.00% which is perfect.

Yeah, it's dropping the ball. 100% relevance is Bull -- because there are words in there which don't even appear on the page...

Oh wait -- "it" is a stop-word... so in figuring "relevance" it's ignoring everything after "Mitica"...

Here's a fun bit of info too though:

Robots META tag

[!] all: This directive is supported by Google, Yahoo, Bing and Ask, but there is no
    need to specify, because by default the bots will index the page and follow its links.

Don't waste time stating the DEFAULT value

Like any automated tool it can drop the ball on things like 'relevance' if what you have for content is too far outside the norms or proper behavior/formatting for the page... and "IT" being a stop-word is why you should probably get it out of your META and TITLE entirely, then spell it out or at least get it into ABBR tags inside BODY.

Their recommendation for keywords makes a lot of sense though:

programmer,web,education,mitic,modern,database,assistance,interventions

That's it... eight words ,100% relevance, well below 128 characters.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jason,
    A few more disagreements.

min-height is not for a fixed height, is it?

em is not a fixed unit, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by deathshadow60 View Post
    "Yes, it says it's *navigation*, it does NOT break inline level content inside it into pieces -- which is the part of what I'm saying you seem to be missing. (again, take a screen reader to it or view it CSS off.)"

Let's try to interpret that in an evil way:

"Yes, it says it's *paragraph*, it does NOT break inline level content inside it into pieces (spans) -- which is the part of what I'm saying you seem to be missing. (again, take a screen reader to it or view it CSS off.)"

Nav links list: an enumeration of links, that doesn't have to make sense as a sentence, and that is already split down to smaller entities: anchors, links. There you go. Of course, after so many years of ul/li it may seem too easy. But what's the point? div#menu{ul/li} is not what nav was created for: nav{ul/li}. That looks like a mindless application of an empty concept.

And I do start to write my page semantically, with no CSS in mind. And I check to see how it looks like in the end, with CSS off. Since I'm used to Google Translate as a proxy.

About HAML and SASS, it's probably not all are attracted to them and that's fine. Just try and be fair: it's simpler, smaller, clearer, and it adds programmatic power. And HAML templates are really strong when used with Sinatra or Padrino.

And if the Ruby syntax on the attributes is what's bothering you, you can always write HAML like this instead:

Code:
    !!!
    %html(lang='ro'
          dir='ltr')

%head
        %meta(charset='utf-8')

%body
        %header
          .wrapper
            %h1
              %a(href='/' 
                 title='I.T. Mitică') I.T. Mitică

For the head and meta part, one has to do what one has to do. You have your theory, I have mine.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hai Mitica,
    You are right when you say "I'm Romanian" but you are "a profesional I.T".
    In English, the adjectives come before the 'title' like in "GOOD WORK" (which is true regarding the 'technical job' you did with your site ).
    Good luck.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks esn003. The same to you.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Changes I've made so far, based on feedback:

CONTENT
    1. I've added a little introduction. Made a few tweaks for the introduction.

DESIGN
    1. I've changed the flow of space in a few places, both vertically and horizontally.
    2. I've added descriptive icons for the core titles.
    3. I've redesigned the footer.
    4. A few design tweaks for the introduction and for the tagline.

Thank you erickillebrew, Maleika, ralph.m, Jason, DaveMaxwell for invaluable feedback so far.

Thank you TehYoyo and esn003 for interest and good words.

Thank you Jason for the brain exercises.

My further efforts will concentrate on creating media queries, but I will gladly accept any other suggestions.

SUMMARY OF THE MOST RELEVANT FEEDBACK SO FAR

Quote Originally Posted by erickillebrew View Post
    I also feel like there should be something to separate subjects you have like the red and blue sqaures give a sense of seperation between the topics but the subjects below are lacking a clear division beside being bold and indented.
    Quote Originally Posted by kohoutek View Post
    I'm missing some kind of introductory text, be it about you, your skills, a good sales-pitch, something that entices me to want to hire you, something more engaging/inviting/personal.

I'd also create more descriptive icons. They're adding to the slightly "sterile" feeling I am getting when viewing the site.
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph.m View Post
    I agree that more introduction is needed—to make it crystal clear what the site is for.
    [...]I'd recommend it to have some kind of text fallback for that callout for those not able to read image text.
    Added a paragraph and speech bubble, only now it's a progressive enhancement rather than a graceful degradation, stating that I'm *an* I.T. professional.
    Also added descriptive icons to each of the Database, Web etcetera.

[...] on my large screen, I don't like the way there is white space under the footer. That's Design 101 to me. How about making the body bg color the same as the bottom of the footer gradient, so that the footer color merges into the background?

I also don't like the lowercase i.t. in "home for your i.t." It doesn't look right to me or read too well. It's better to use capitals for an initialism like that. I know capitals aren't cool any more (like everything else that is right), but as I say, it just doesn't read well anyway.
    I've changed the case for "I.T." and I've changed the footer gradient orientation so it now fades to background's white.

Quote Originally Posted by deathshadow60 View Post
    [...] the indent on the H4 looks more like error than intentional [...] social buttons overlapping the columns above them looks like a rendering error, as does the uneven/excessive padding at the top and bottom of those areas.
    I removed the indent on H4 and made a new design for the footer.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMaxwell View Post
    • Is that a comma or period after "Hello". If it's a comma, it should be a period (IMO). Either way, the word my should be capitalized on the next line. It also seems like there should be a word after I.T. (problems, difficulties, issues, etc) for the sentence to make sense gramatically (in English at least)
    • The tagline gets lost on the overlay of the planet. [...]
    • I personally would move the header (the mt logo and the menu items) farther out on each side. Right now, they look indented, which looks odd...
    • Either the boxes on Consulting and Education need to be shorter, or the social media icons need to be dropped lower or higher. Right now, the 1/2 on, 1/2 off of the twitter and facebook icons look to be a mistake. Personally, I would vote for making the boxes shorter and getting rid of the vertical scrollbar which doesn't look like it's needed.
    • The footer doesn't look like it matches. It's the only item with rounded corners (yes, the column colored boxes are rounded, but very slightly. The color is also very harsh and draws your eyes to it too quickly and causes usability and eyeflow problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMaxwell View Post
    That looks better. All I personally would do is make the box a little wider, then move "to handle" up a line. This would provide you some more whitespace in the speech bubble - it looks a little cramped now.
    [...]
    The color is definitely too dark, especially in such a limited space. If it was spread across the whole page, then it wouldn't be a eye catcher. But the fact that it's small and in the middle of the page, draws attention away from the content to the footer, which is not how you want the flow of your eye to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by kohoutek View Post
    To solve the appearance of the social icons, what you could try is adding a horizontal border above it. That might give it a more 3-dimensional sort of look and visually separate it better from the columns...
    Took the advice and tweaked the introduction.
    Added a text shadow on the tagline.
    Made the indent on the logo smaller.
    Redesigned the footer.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mitica, I think this is a great improvement.

I initially meant the icons for your main four column descriptions (programming, education, etc.).

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm happy you like it.

That's an idea, icons for the main four columns. Will have to see if something fits. Thanks.

BTW, it's really Mitică (pronounced mi-ti-kschwa.gif, like maker, doctor, with a mute end 'r'). Mitica sounds like a girl's name in Romanian.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The word "Consultanţă" does not exist.
    How about 'Consultări' ?

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi esn003.

Are you Romanian, by any chance.

I have to disagree, "Consultanță" does exists in the Romanian dictionary:
    http://dexonline.ro/definitie/consultan%C8%9B%C4%83
    http://dex-online.ro/consultan%C8%9B%C4%83/cauta/
    http://www.webdex.ro/online/dictiona...an%C8%9B%C4%83

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Hi esn003.

Are you Romanian, by any chance. Was

I have to disagree, "Consultanță" does exists in the Romanian dictionary:
    http://dexonline.ro/definitie/consultan%C8%9B%C4%83
    http://dex-online.ro/consultan%C8%9B%C4%83/cauta/
    I learned a new word. Thanks.
    The question is how many people know the meaning of that word?
    Any way, this is only semantics and your site is looking great.
    When is it going to be functional too?

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully, most of them will understand reading what's written below too LOL!

The site is functional, for the moment for the sole purpose of advertising. Thank you for your kind appreciation.

Right now I'm working media queries. After that, I'm converting the Ruby-based backend to Sinatra.

Off Topic:

Nice to bump into a fellow countryman. BTW, I believe you ARE Romanian still?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully, most of them will understand reading what's written below too LOL!

The site is functional, for the moment for the sole purpose of advertising.

Right now I'm working media queries. After than, I'm converting the Ruby-based backend to Sinatra.

Off Topic:

Nice to bump into a fellow countryman. BTW, I believe you ARE still Romanian?
    You have no idea how right you are.
    Not countryman anymore but YES Romanian in spirit, education and humor .
    I am also an I.T.
    Emanuel.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope life is treating you well, wherever you are now.

Coming to sitepoint is a good move, I've learned some I.T. bits around here, and most people are great.

Good luck and have a pleasant experience.

Thanks again for your good words and interest. Hope to hear more from you.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sent you a personal email.