User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dog-Treat Site - My First Website

Hi everyone,

Only started learning html & css in november last year. Just read three books and got some helpful answers on this forum. Thanks again to everyone who helped and recommended those books. Got my first website online.

http://www.happyhounddogtreats.co.uk

It doesn't look professional enough to me and it feels 'empty' but I'm not really sure where to start improving it... or if I need to start again and totally re-design it, not sure what fundamentals I should focus on next time.

Any tips/criticisms welcome.

Cheers.

SitePoint Enthusiast Albablue89's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have a good starting base to work on, there is always room for improvement but you have done well for your first website so well done.

I'll provide some things which I personally think would improve the website.

* You need more contrast, therefore change the background (colour) of the 4 treat boxes below the nav.
    * I feel the content is too open and needs 'locked' up, therefore perhaps lock the content in (all content below the nav) within a container and give that container some colour or even transparency to the background.
    * Put a border around the full website, I.E. put it all within a container.
    * Look into the font and play around with that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fretman View Post
    Hi everyone,

Only started learning html & css in november last year. Just read three books and got some helpful answers on this forum. Thanks again to everyone who helped and recommended those books. Got my first website online.

http://www.happyhounddogtreats.co.uk

It doesn't look professional enough to me and it feels 'empty' but I'm not really sure where to start improving it... or if I need to start again and totally re-design it, not sure what fundamentals I should focus on next time.

Any tips/criticisms welcome.

Cheers.
    First I love dogs i have 2 Labs...so Thumbs up

Now for some serious reviews
    1) First Try adding few more playing puppies or dogs in the Header and the Dark background looks too empty for the header..
    2) As I suggest to all new websites owners use a good logo try some onlne Free Logo Generating Sites for Logos
    3) In the Menu you have added a Icon for View Cart add it for others Picture Speaks more than words The Paw which comes on Mouse Over is Good..see if you can change the color from green to something else..
    4) Try making the site more Social so add Like us on Facebook and Follow us on Twitter Links where you can also update them with you new offers...

These would be my suggestions...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a first timer, it is a great work indeed. The overall design aesthetics are really good and you managed to cut straight to the point, that is of shopping for your dog. The navigation is simple and the things that user might look for are always right there. The food information is really short and concise and the good thing is you highlighted the features pretty well. Overall the site establishes a good impression on a user and can compel them to buy stuff for their dogs.

There are few minor things i would like to suggest
    1) The cart section takes a lot of time to load in comparison to other pages which is not a good thing
    2) It would be great if you could just pop out a small window or something on clicking the "view cart" button as currently it doesnt feel good to open up a new tab/window. All the modern websites show a small and quick popup for cart and some just show it upon hover and i bet the users have got used to it.
    3) The view cart itme in the menu aint looking nice. Its a permanent icon behind a link and moreover, the hover effect adds the paw which clutters it a bit. I would suggest you to take the show cart out of the main menu as it aint a section.
    4) Adding an item to cart should show some "Added to cart" message there itself as taking the user away from shopping mood might not be good for your business.
    5) You should link your site to some social media. I guess that work must be underway as it is a must for your site.
    6) Try n include more pics, specially on the dog grooming page.

All the best for your site. Keep up the good work

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a bad start but here are some improvements:
    - the color palette needs changing, use warm colors (blue and gray don't work) people thing of their dogs in a warm way and you want to reflect with the colors (I like that orange color outlining the box, maybe you can try designing with that)
    - I would add more pictures of dogs because there is quite abit of whitespace
    - I would also try to create a logo out of "happy hound dog treats" it would look much better if you do

Just a few suggestions to start off with, but you will see a huge improvement when you do. Good luck!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the help so far.

Albablue, thanks for the suggestions. I've played around offline a bit with having the container visually separated from the rest of the body, or having a separate colour either side of it... can't really decide on what to go with yet.
    Thanks for reminding me about the font, on two of the four PC's I can access, the sub-heading looks ok to me as 'Segoe Script' but on the other PC's they don't have that font and I can't find a backup web-safe font I'm happy with.

bzforum, cheers. So far the logo generators I've used ended up with a really tacky clipart-looking image but I'll have another go. Might try to change the hover paw to the orange colour of the treatbox outline.

ishanjain, thanks. The slow-loading paypal shopping cart is annoying to me too. All of paypal's servers take ages to load for me. I didn't want to invest too heavily in a professional shopping cart system until I have the design right. Once I'm happy with the site, I probably will upgrade.

FlyingFreedom, thanks for the ideas. I did actually start with those orange colours as the palette but found it looked too cartoonish so I'd initially then tried to aim towards something more 'professional'. You may have a great point there, that it's too 'cold' for dog lovers. I'll work on where to add more pics.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, I think your site is absolutely fine as it is. So long as it works correctly (expecially the checkout etc) then leave it alone and concentrate on your business. For me not all sites need to look like the slick expensive sites that you would expect from a large company. Yours is a small business site that is functional and does what it says on the tin.

I think you've done a great job if this is your first site. Personally I would work on teh business, promoting your site and taking nites on what could be improved. Then in 6-12 months time, make some changes, maybe upgrade the site and incoporate all the things you've written down.

Anyway well done!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Fretman,

FYI this is my first review.

Everything looks like it works correctly, for your first website you've done a good job. I have a couple of suggestions though.

The image of the dog - It's quite a nice image, draws you in, it's a cute dog. However it's been cut out quite jaggedly. You may want to go back to it and use Photoshop or something similar and perhaps feather the selection tool. Alternatively, you could smooth around the edges with the blur tool as a quick fix.

Treat Selections:
    Roll-over text - It's quite a cool idea and the descriptions do really stand out. However, you could removed the JavaScript and simply use the <a TITLE="Scrumptious, nutritious and aromatic treats with cinnamon and homemade apple sauce"...> tag. This would be better for accessibility/usability.
    Titles - I'd make the text bigger to make it stand out more. These are (I assume) what you want visitors to click on, make them easy and the first thing the visitor notices.

Colour scheme:
    Forgive me for saying, but I think the website looks a little dull. You could easily punch it up a bit like so...
    (please bear in mind this is a one minute quick do over)

dog-website.jpg

Navigation:
    From your code I gather you're writing this site in HTML5. Did you know that there's a navigation tag you could use? (I discovered it just this morning): http://w3schools.com/html5/tag_nav.asp

Finally, have you thought about some Social Media? They could set up a Facebook fan page and a twitter to encourage new users and get their name out there.

Don't forget websites can always be built upon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dogs woul be happy to visit such website )
    I can suggest almost the same things that I have done with previous review )
    1) Unique Logo - The name of the website as a simple text doesn't make any sense! Be creative =)
    2) I would suggest to improve your horizontal menu - I tink it is too, too simple!
    That's it =)
    Submit your URL for free at Open Directory www.livewebmap.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's nice, but I'd flesh it out a little more. i'd maybe hire a designer to get the header looking more professional.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think its great. It looks like an average person with no major funding created it. This is a good thing considering your dog treats are home made. I'd buy home made treats from your site instead of one who's layout blew me away if that makes sense. I'd say add some more color though. It's very grey.