User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Non-Member bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You rang?

I'm liking this version far, far better, though the placement of the picture next to "who am I" feels more like a rendering error than intentional; what with it cropping up out of the box like that. The excessive bottom padding (likely from line-height indent) also makes it feel a bit off; as does that at small fonts it barely fits two words per line... large fonts even the title ends up word-wrapping. That's either too large, or that section needs some form of adjustment in padding/placement.

The big "welcome" text is too big; pointless waste of time, has no real 'content' or meat to it, so I'd either axe it entirely or at the very least drop it down to something like 125% instead of the what? 200% or so it is now?

I'm liking the dynamic width and 'responsiveness', but your menu overlaps the logo at narrow widths (at large fonts), Again this is why while I may say "%/em, %/em" over and over, there are places where you're pretty much forced to use PX, like around image interactions and when playing with widths on elements you don't allow to wrap. The text there is plenty large even on my media center (200%) without the large font expansion, so using PX fonts on the menu wouldn't be the end of the world.

I see no real legibility issues apart from in the footer, where the light grey on dark grey is well below accessibility norms. Likewise on that same text when it wraps your line-heights are way too short. The rest of the page checks out nice on that.

Except perhaps the 'recent' and 'work' hovers -- which are broken at large fonts/120dpi and really are not the type of thing I believe even belongs on a website in the first place. You could either fix the font size in PX so it's not broken for LF users, but is uselessly small to them, or just get rid of it as pointless.

On the whole, again, I really don't consider elements like those three image boxes to be viable for web deployment in the first place; I'd probably make that a single column area of three dynamic width boxes, with the text you're showing on hover simply being placed next to them. It's just too fancy for it's own good, and as a rule of thumb fancy means fragile.

Under the hood it's a lot cleaner than previously -- not wild about the HTML 5 bloat and in general the confusing/unneccesary markup and broken/useless heading orders... particularly the 'article' tags around elements that aren't even articles, hgroups and h2/h3 pairings for what are single headers and as such shouldn't have more than one H# tag (those h3 don't even look like taglines or even part of the header to me!). At the same time that you've managed to bend that steaming dung heap known as wordpress over your knee and force it to produce anything even CLOSE to clean for markup is truly an impressive accomplishment; shame you're still stuck with the completely ridiculous 5k of useless nonsense in the HEAD, and 14.4k of HTML that appears to be doing what I'd ballpark as 6 to 8k's job.Literally you have quite possibly DOUBLE the HTML needed for the job; much of that can be blamed on the ridiculously bloated content in HEAD, but much of that can also be attributed to the HTML 5 bloat and pointless extra wrappers all over the place... and attempt at semantic markup that isn't. Of course, that too is the HTML 5 garbage in action.

There are also some... well, oddities that show outdated markup; not sure if that's turdpress or you; like sending the main CSS file to "all" (never a good thing), the static CSS and scripting in the markup, the lack of a projection target leaving the page broken fullscreen in Opera and on many Kiosks (much less the Wii). I do think most of that is turdpress' fault and not yours though... there's a reason I say it's developers need to take a step back, and spend a year actually learning how HTML, CSS and inheritance works... much less that Javascript is NOT the answer to every question... of course I tend to think that the moment I see an IE conditional comment in the markup so... Though at least in this case it's for scripting, not CSS -- much less of a 'sin' - unfortunately it's a total sin given it's for that stupid malfing HTML 5 assist/polyfill/shim/whatevertheblueblazestheyrecallingitthisweek. Just more HTML 5 bloat for NO tangible benefits.

Seriously, if this:
    <body class="home page page-id-30 page-template page-template-homepage-php single-author">

... isn't big enough a warning flag they have no blasted clue what they are doing, I don't know what is.

Going hand in hand with turdpress' 200k of javascript doing 30k's job... is that fancybox crap; 15k of scripting that relies on a 100k library that isn't as functional as 10-12k of scripting WITHOUT the stupid malfing jquery asshattery... another reason that's something I'd be swinging a giant axe at.

I mean, let's face facts, thanks to scripting bloat and turdpress stupidity, you're blowing a 15k of markup on 1.8k of plaintext and four content images, and almost an entire megabyte on delivering

Of course a little pre-compositing so you could switch to a more efficient version of PNG or perhaps JPEG and axe the bandwidth hogging alpha transparency crap wouldn't hurt either. In the image optimization department things could use a bit of a rework. See that 96k Sprite.png which might actually be faster as separate images and quite possibly use a fraction the bandwidth if you lost the unnecessary alpha transparency stuff.

Take blog.png -- 96k alpha transparency... which as a 256 color alphaless .png would be 23k, and can be dropped to 13k as a jpeg if you just precomposite that background. Do that across the four or five images that could use it on that page, and poof, 300k or more gone easy.

Though again, swinging an axe at the ungodly and outright ridiculous 387k of javascript would probably go second on my to-do list, right after axing the HTML 5 BS.

Even so, for all of the above, this is one of the BEST things I've seen done using wordpress. Unfortunately I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. But then there's a reason I won't use it on my own sites and ended up telling a client to go stuff it when they demanded it. I'm sure they're truly enjoying their 50% drop in traffic since I left.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still trying to gain total control of Wordpress. But yes, all the unnecessary scripting and styles are its fault...but I can't imagine an easier way to run the site. I'm going to do what I can to get rid of the ridiculous amount of classes that I don't even need.

Turning blog.png and work.png into jpgs sounds like a plan...I only made them png's because I wasn't quite sure if I'd be using a gradient for the background or not.

I'm not sure how I can get away with ditching alpha transparency on sprite.png. I'll try.

I still like fancybox, but it'd also be nice to find a lightbox that's a little less heavy on the markup...I absolutely hate scripts and styles in the head. I think the only plugin I have that actually does this is fancybox (can't check right now)

There IS an official fancybox plugin being developed that uses the most current version of the script. My intention has been to switch to that once it's a reality.

I'm not sure about your arguments against jquery...I think I'm gonna see if I can make wordpress use the google hosted version instead, since a majority of people visiting my site are going to have it cached anyway.

It's hard to even find a plugin that DOESN'T use jquery these days, and I'm not quite fluent in javascript.

Oh, I also took your advice about the normalize.css and inserted a one-line compressed version of it to style.css rather than importing it.

If I might ask, what do you use as a cms? There's no way I want to write my own, even for a site as simple as this.

I've spent a lot of time converting this site to a wordpress theme, so all I have to do is make it leave my markup the way I want it. I can change pretty much anything in functions.php so I'll see what I can do.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, and the three image boxes are actually pretty stable. I've tested them all the way back to IE7 (for some reason) and they render just fine.

I'm sort of flattered that this is one of the best things you've seen done using Wordpress, even if that's not necessarily a good thing. I just care enough about clean and concise HTML (even though we have different perspectives on exactly what that means) that I've been trying to keep it that way. There's obviously still some work to be done.

Honestly, if it weren't for the blog section, I'd keep this a static site :U

Non-Member bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I went into your blog, and your CODE tag colors are illegible. Dark blue on black? Eh... no.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deathshadow60 View Post
    Oh, I went into your blog, and your CODE tag colors are illegible. Dark blue on black? Eh... no.
    Those are the default styles for the code highlighting plugin. I haven't gotten around to styling them yet. It would be a nice quick thing to get done later tonight.

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a note; WordPress does not force you to use jQuery or Javascript for the frontend. You can remove it completely.

You can also remove all those redundant classes and ids.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey ! I love the personality you show in your site. The copy is playful and genuine. There is a bit of a juvenile feel to it, but I think you know that. Not necessarily a bad thing of course!

The "View this entry" link does not work. it says I broke the internet. Second time this year...
    In your portfolio the images aren't there. When you click it, the name of the project in "Marble Hornets DVD Case" is bunched together. Maybe change the word spacing, or something?

Also, MARBLE HORNETS! haha! I loved that stuff! How'd you get to work on that?

Maybe make the contact me section stand out a bit more? maybe even just bigger text or some different styling.

good stuff!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mkob View Post
    Hey ! I love the personality you show in your site. The copy is playful and genuine. There is a bit of a juvenile feel to it, but I think you know that. Not necessarily a bad thing of course!

The "View this entry" link does not work. it says I broke the internet. Second time this year...
    In your portfolio the images aren't there. When you click it, the name of the project in "Marble Hornets DVD Case" is bunched together. Maybe change the word spacing, or something?

Also, MARBLE HORNETS! haha! I loved that stuff! How'd you get to work on that?

Maybe make the contact me section stand out a bit more? maybe even just bigger text or some different styling.

good stuff!
    The portfolio section is undergoing quite a bit of maintenance right now, so I'm well aware of the problems. The word spacing is due to the method I use to get rid of the spacing in between the inline-blocks; I just haven't gotten around to fixing it yet.

And as for the Marble Hornets work, I know the creators online. I just happened to approach them with an idea for the cover and I got the job. From the feedback I got, my chances for doing the Season 3 cover as well are looking pretty good :D

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome attention to detail! I've never seen anyone apply an animation to the background image of a textarea. In fact, I've only ever seen a background image applied once, period...very creative! I bookmarked your site under my "inspirations" folder.

I actually think it was a good move to host on a free service for now. No point in paying for hosting while your still in production; that and you don't end up with 9018204980 domains like me.

My only suggestion as far as design goes is to upload whatever font you used for your branding (or a similar one), turn it into a CSS @font-face (via something like http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fontface/generator) and use that for your headings (contact info, social, etc). Maybe use a secondary font for your blog post titles. All the images on your portfolio page are broken by the way.

Also, professionally speaking @DouchebagMario isn't good form. I would either change the name or not display it.

As others have said, your illustrations are good, I mean really good. Totally irrelevant, but the "Creation of Snuckles" made me smile - your style has a lot of personality!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks man!

Like I said in the previous post, I'm still trying to get the portfolio page situated. What I have in mind is proving to be a little tricky with wordpress.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spritanium View Post
    I've been working on this site for a few days, and it's my first serious attempt at a website to show off my graphic design.

Here's a work-in-progress version of the site: http://keithpickering.zxq.net/index.php

The homepage and portfolio pages are more-or-less done, and I'm working on getting WordPress configured for the blog page (I'm actually considering converting all 4 pages to WordPress to make everything easier to manage, after which I might add more dynamic content and a more detailed portfolio page)

The site was designed in Photoshop. It was also coded in notepad, because that's how I roll I guess.

I'd like any kind of criticism, because I want this to look as good as it possibly can. I'll even take minor nitpicks. Any slight detail that you believe could conceivably be executed in a different way, let me know. I want a site that doesn't turn people away from my work.

So yeah, all comments are welcome!

Also, some plans for the future:

Once I move to a better host that fully supports WordPress, I'm probably going to manage the whole site using it. At that point, the portfolio page links will end up working a little more like the ones on this site. You'll click a thumbnail, and a lightbox-style window will pop up showing a slideshow of different images and a longer description, more information, etc. The only problem is I have no idea how to do this as of right now, haha.
    Template and everything seems great, but i guess you have "huge" font size, which makes your website look a bit awkward and a bit on unprofessional, i recommend you to go with smaller font size, else everything is great

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://keithpickering.zxq.net/portfolio/

Finally, some progress on the portfolio section!

Can't figure out how to get the social icons to display in the fancybox window...but that's life.