SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Martial Arts Website Review

I need some feedback for my university project.

http://www.kaizenmartialart.co.uk

All feedback is welcome.

Thanks for your time.

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    The site looks nice, but just a few things:

- on first page load, images were a bit slow to load, so could perhaps be optimized a bit more. Also, while the logo and tag line were loading, the alt text read "Logo" and "tag line" respectively. It's better to put some meaningful text there instead.

- the intro text on the Home page is served as an image only. Make sure to include the real text too (for blind users ... including Google!) There are various ways to do that, but my preferred method is to place the image over the text.

- the text further down the home page is quite small. I would suggest making it bigger.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    I like the look and feel of your site. The colors work together, and you've selected images that show me you have a wide age range of people participating (which is appealing to more people).

I'm wondering if there is a reason you've chosen not to capitalize Kaizen in some places? Isn't it the name of the business? I also notice that some of the teacher names on the first martial arts page aren't capitalized--it's a minor thing, but it makes me wonder if it is some kind of trend instead of attending to the message on the page.

For each of the sub-pages that define the different types of martial arts, I think you have chosen good information, but it isn't inviting to read it. Could you break it up in some way--either by shortening some sections and creating lists within them using bullet points, or maybe using sub-headings? Another option would be to use sub-headings on each page. I notice that on the ju-jitsu page, you start with some basic history about it, which is very inviting. Maybe you could follow the same format for each page to achieve some consistency--Background, Our Classes, Fees, for example.

I noticed a previous poster commented on the text on the home page as an image. That's a good point, but my issue with it is different. I actually like the font of the text a lot, but the lines are broken oddly. I would want "Kaizen Martial Arts Academy" on the same line; same thing with "community-based karate club." It may seem silly or overly picky, but it's like a poem: when you aren't using very many words to convey your ideas, the way they arranged matters even more.

There are some places in the text throughout the site where the wording is probably longer than it needs to be. Whatever you can do to simplify your message will help visitors focus on the most important ideas.

You've done a great job including key content: I was going to suggest a map when I saw the home page, but I see you have one on your contact page. If I were a potential customer, I would be grateful to see the class schedule spelled out clearly, and know what the fees are up front. The photo selections are obviously thoughtful--they show a wide variety of activities and seem inviting to potential members.

Good luck with this project!

SitePoint Enthusiast WebOutGateway's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Overall design is good.
    2. The layout is clean, except for the homepage's layout. Texts are too small and congested. I think you should rearranged the layout in the homepage. Make the texts bigger. It would be better if you'll have another page for each column since they have different information and have a "read more" button or text link so that visitors will click it for more information. I suggest that in each column there should be a title like "Our Services," "Why you should learn karate," and "About Karate," something like these.
    3. Put the basic information in the homepage.
    4. Instead of youtube video, put an image slider to make it more interactive.
    5. And lastly, put an image gallery.
    Witness how bright ideas transform into your website needs.
    Visit and connect us now for your
    Mobile Application Development requirements.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have much bad to say about this site. I think it looks great. I like the texture in the background and the colours work well. Overall with the font and rugged texture I think it looks like a great.

If I was looking for karate lessons though I'd want to know how much it'd cost me very quickly, I eventually discovered that after I clicked on Martial Arts, which wasn't where I'd have expected to find that info. Perhaps even just putting a quick 'lessons from X' would encourage me to keep looking but I'd say that you should have a seperate link for prices.

The text at the bottom is a little small. Fine for search engines but not great for people with bad eye sight or older people. I guess you're a young'un with 2020 vision but trust me, the vast majority of the world has eyesight which isn't as good as yours, just wait 10 years and you'll agree

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice site. The colors and fonts create an "eastern" atmosphere. I like it a lot.
    • The promotional video is great and informative, but the guy speaks fast and is hard to understand (if people who speak English as a second language - like me - are in your target audience, this is important).
    • The text below the video is set in a different font than text in other parts of the site.
    • Font sizes of the longer text blocks are too small - that makes them pretty hard to read.
    • The active option is not emphasized in second level menus (like Shotokan Karate, Okinawan Kobudo etc. under Martial Arts or Halloween, etc. under Events). First I didn't even notice there were other martial arts on that page. Try to use color or font weight to differentiate the active menu item. Also, I think those options work better when aligned right. That makes it obvious that their function is to change the text below them. Here is what I mean (sorry for the ugly red): http://imgur.com/NcL9T
    • I'm sorry to say this but the timetable is just plain ugly. It is just a screenshot of something someone quickly threw together in Word. A real HTML table with a nice, red header would look much better.
    • The shop looks and works great. The only problem is (and this is really nitpicking) that the mug is drawn in a very different style than the T-shirts. It's a bit odd.
    • In the contact form, the spacing between the name and the email is greater than between the email and the message.

Other than these, the site is perfect. I can see that you have put a lot of work in it. Congratulations!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a very nice looking site:

First off, I love the color choices that you made and I think they deliver a good idea what the website is about.

Secondly the navigation is simple and gets you where you need to go.

Thirdly the home page is simple, neat, and displays useful information.

One thing that I didn't like so well was how long the website takes to load. Everything just seems a bit sluggish even on a high-speed connection.

Other than that the site looks great! Keep up the good work.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked your site. It loaded a little bit slow for me, but it still loads fast enough. I think that at the martial arts section there could be some sub headline. When I click example Shotokan Karate after a couple of minutes I don't even know what section I am reading. There could be something that would say what I am reading, like a color of selected would be different than others.

I get little disappointed because there was only that one image about Halloween. Maybe it would make your site more popular if there would be more nice pictures about Halloween.

Non-Member bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The crappy fixed width useless on just about every device I own, massive background images make it painful to even try to scroll up and down, (lands sake Opera is unloading it from memory and redrawing as needed just when you switch tabs -- NOT a good sign), multi-megabyte page-load in dozens of files for no fathomable reason, and lack of images off or CSS off graceful degredation means it's got a ways to go. The use of images for large swaths of content text is definitely an indication something is awry and/or you're being taught all wrong.

Ah, I see your problem -- was apparent the moment I did a 'view source' -- Pagemaker. Only thing you can learn from pagemaker is how NOT to build a website -- from the static CSS inlined in the markup (so kiss off leveraging caching models on subpages), vague/meaningless classes and ID's, classes and ID's on everything for no good reason, image maps, presentational images in the markup, that stupid malfing mm_swap javascript nonsense doing CSS' job, paragraphs around non-paragraph elements, attributes like ALIGN and TARGET that have no business in HTML after 1998, paragraphs doing numbered heading tag's job, empty div for absolutely no reason other than the rubbish WYSIWYG messing with you, iFrames (also have no business on websites after 1998)... MEIN GOTT -- the ENTIRE LAYOUT is APO?!? Yeah, that's nice and sturdy.

If this is a 'university project' for a web development class, you need to go in monday morning and kick the teacher right square in the nerts -- you've been led so far down the garden path I'd advise throwing the entire mess away. If this is what a teacher has told you to do, they aren't qualified to open their mouth on the subject.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey IMCG! I like your site. I am a big one for color schemes (even though I can never seem to pick the right one for myself), and I think yours is really welcoming and calming. The colors are really nice, and gives the site a real appeal. The only thing that I noticed about the site is that the graphics (even the guy on the home page) loads very slow. I remember something about making your header, footer, and auto-expanding body in a program like Fireworks (or any art program) and then exporting them as a jpeg. They load much quicker. I am new to this coding thing, but I know I saw that somewhere on the web. lol That would be the only thing that I would say stood out to me. Great job on everything! Good luck.