SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm working on a web project that will hopefully actually earn me some cash. However, I've noticed a lot of people talking about how their CPMs are going down (pricewise), and how they can't sell their inventory 100% anymore. In addition to that, it seems the only way to get a half decent profit is if you have a highly targeted audience. My venture will not have that.

With those things in mind, what's a webmaster to do? Trying to find an alternative to banner advertising revenue will be difficult but it seems unpreventable in this case. I really don't have much experience in the E-commerce/buisness field so I have few ideas of how I could make some cash.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how a site that offers a free service could make a little money? If it was something creative, I wouldn't have a problem contacting large sites to offer them a deal, but I need the idea first. What kind of advertising do these big sites want that could be offered (beyond the banners/buttons)?

Advertising on the net has got to change, banners simply don't cut it anymore. Not for the buyer, and not for the seller.

-Chuck
    Jeremy Watts :: Co-Founder
    Modevia Web Services :: Experience the Difference.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think people are starting to realise that just because you are web based you do not have to advertise on the net. Internet users watch TV and read magazines too!

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My personal experience with making a little extra money on the net...

I've tried a bunch of stuff to make a little money with my tiny 250 visits/day WebDevPortal.com (though that should go up in the next day or so as it shows up in Yahoo!).

What worked best:

Targeted banners that are of direct interest to my market (I use Commission Junction so I can choose my advertisers) - and offer free or paid products that are of interest to your market.

I target webmasters, so my most profitable program is offering free webfeeds from Moreover.com. I've partnered with them to offer my own cobranded webfeed wizard so that webmasters can add webfeeds to their website without leaving mine.

Try to do the same thing with your site. Find a product or service that compliments yours.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

I think people are starting to realise that just because you are web based you do not have to advertise on the net. Internet users watch TV and read magazines too!
    This is true, but it is a proven fact that advertising on TV, the radio, or in magazines/newspapers isn't as effective as the average person might think. Think about it: how often do you actually remember that one web site or comany after reading a magazine, watching TV, or listening to the radio. It's mostly used just to get people to hear your company's name, for branding.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think about it: how often do you actually remember that one web site or comany after reading a magazine, watching TV, or listening to the radio.
    I often watch TV ads that include web addresses, or a local news station mentions a website, and with that endorsement I usually want to visit. But the problem is I'm not online while watching that show or commercial most of the time, so when I do go on, I've already forgotten about that site I wanted to visit.

I agree that TV or radio advertising is only useful for branding. It takes a lot of good advertising to actually get the people to remember your site by the time they go online (like the iWon commercials).

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Newsletters are good. My hits increase noticeably when I send my newsletter out.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think people are more likely to look at a newsletter ad rather than a web-based ad. So put some text ads in your newsletter (or pictures if it is an HTML newsletter), and see what the response is like.
    Also, consider using an Ad tracking program like WebAdverts to see how many views and clicks ads you have on the site has, then you could see the effectiveness of different advertising campaigns and use the best one.

is very happy now :) Itay Neeman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

I agree with chuck's point... What are we supposed to do?

But what webdevportal said is true... Each site has a subject, wether its movies, books, teens, games or anything just find an affiliate program that compliments yours. I am soon going to put on my site some affiliate programs regarding games and online games, maybe team up with some sites to offer a reduced price, and viola, instant cash, just kidding of course =) But its easy enough to come up with stuff... Just find stuff that compliments your sites and its subject, even without a targeted audience... Newsletters are great as well, as they increase both your traffic and you get some revenue on them, and people tend to read em more, its all about placment in the end =)

HTH,
    Itay
    Itay - [email] [icq]
    Darklight Studios - Bringing light into gaming
    Pretzel Wisdom
    - Mine... All Mine! coming soon...