SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What are the best books, tutorials, advices to learn JavaScript?

I have learnt PHP. Actually, I still think I haven't finished learning about it and I don't think I would. I remember that I started with a very good book teaching that Scripting Language and it was a real good teacher.

I feel I need learn about JavaScript. I started trying to learn it five months ago by buying a very big book, but unfortunately, it wasn't the good teacher I was expecting, so I stopped.

What would your advice be for anyone willing to study Java Script? books? tutorials? ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I've recently learned a lot about JavaScript simply from surfing the web and asking a couple of questions here on SitePoint.

From my experience, the best way to get into it is to have a project in mind, and just dive straight in to try to create it.

Rollover buttons are a good start.
    They're simple to do and allow you to get your hands dirty.
    Then just keep adding.

You want the page to make a noise when you rollover a button? Add it. What about changing the content of two frames at once? Search for the code with Google.

Finding a page that does something you like and then taking the code apart to understand it is a great way of picking things up.

Try this for starters.

Andy

JavaScript Guru (Big Ego) Arielladog's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best way I learned in through forums (like these, though I learned from different ones). And then when I needed something in particular, I searched the web for articles, forum topics, about them. People at forums really offer a great service to everyone, and I think sometimes people here are underappreciated...Well, I would definately like to say thanks to everyone for helping me and others not only have a solution but understand the solution.

If you are looking for topics in general (beginners, DHTML, objects, etc.), I can point you a few places.

aDog