SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please note I said nothing at all about which option was more useful (if at all), or when an option is useful (if at all). All I said was the programmer can do whatever they wish (including stupid things:-). My statement that both are possible is accurate. The programmer can choose to have their media queries test either the physical screen size or the logical window size. If there's any implication, it's simply that silly website behavior wrt. media queries is the fault not of the spec but rather of the programmer.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #23: "(In fact the Javascript and CSS support is often better than you'd find on an average-aged desktop.)"

I've heard just the opposite on the groups.google phonegap forums.

I've heard all kinds of horror stories of how CSS3 has been horribly implemented in Android devices. You can't depend on Android devices to display CSS3 correctly. Every vendor has its own way of doing things.
    Steve Husting

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apologies for making an unclear statement, and now splitting hairs trying to clean up my mess, but: I did not say the CSS3 support on smartphones was either really good or standard or the same on all devices. All I said was it's "better" than you'd find on an everage-aged desktop (many of which don't even do CSS3 wrong ...they just plain don't do it at all). It's been my experience that CSS compatibility issues are somewhat less of a problem when development is circumscribed to just smartphones, but as you point out they don't go away entirely - even in a smartphone-only world some fairly serious CSS compatibility issues remain (especially in the newest CSS3 features).

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I misread your statement in the first place. I saw your "CSS" as including "CSS3," which you did not state. My apologies.
    Steve Husting

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many smartphones like iPhone, the Palm Pre has a 320480 pixel screen, the BlackBerry Storm has a 360480 pixel screen, the HTC Touch Pro has a 480640 pixel screen and the HTC Venus has a whopping 800480 pixel screen. Many of these screens can comfortably display a standard website