SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There will never be a google killer... Its just theoritically impossible, these kinds of search engines come popping out of the woodwork almost every day and as quietly as they arrive, as quietly they leave. It can't even be dubbed as a yahoo killer.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a nice search engine, but a little slow, that's a huge disadvantage. Also, the results are a little confusing, placing the thumbnails next to the results. Makes me feel a little dizzy when searching something

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They do have a option to turn off the thumbshots. I like the fact its optional because even Im not a big fan of their thumbshots even though it is a good feature

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL i really don't think so

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Con: It doesn't do anything Google does but better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's an interesting search engine: Millionshort

As the name might suggest, it returns search results with the first million hits stripped out. Not quite sure if this is useful or not - opinions please.
    Detect file changes remotely. SimpleSiteAudit is an early
    warning anti-hacker system which sends an alert on detection.

PHP Find Orphan Files - Finds all the unreferenced files on your site.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google is not going to lose market share to just another search engine. Bigger companies have tried and failed. However, they are losing the attention of the users, now with people using social networks.

Mouse catcher silver trophy Stevie D's Avatar
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndmouse View Post

As the name might suggest, it returns search results with the first million hits stripped out. Not quite sure if this is useful or not - opinions please.
    I'm really not sure what the purpose of that is. For a lot of queries, it doesn't change anything (I was gutted to see that my website isn't stripped out so isn't considered to be in the top million sites on the internet ). It's a novel premise, but the chances are that if one of those top million sites answers your query then it's going to be a good site to look at ... those sites didn't get to be in the top million just by chance. And it's unlikely that you're going to get all that many of the top million sites returned for any query, so paging past the first few isn't going to be too big a deal if you want to look at more eclectic sites.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndmouse View Post

That is interesting! Could be good for giving smaller businesses a chance, like in the dotcom boom.

As for ANY search engine being a Google killer I can't see it. Google is used so much and is even a verb now in its own right. " Why don't you Google it?" .

That engine couldn't find a lot of things anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coloradojaguar View Post
    I'm not even going to look at that engine right now. Google killer? That possibility doesn't and may never exist in my opinion. Google is so much more than an engine, its an empire and those don't fall for a long long time.
    I agree, I don't think there's ever going to be a new search engine that would or can kill Google. It has established its name and internet users will always depend on the big G to search something on the internet.