Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Google killer has arrived

Guyss,

Do you think this search engine could be the next Google killer? I came across it on DP Forums.

I think its a little slow but it does have the potential..Pls share your feedback pros and cons.

www.Sperse.com

SitePoint Zealot coloradojaguar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not even going to look at that engine right now. Google killer? That possibility doesn't and may never exist in my opinion. Google is so much more than an engine, its an empire and those don't fall for a long long time.
    Hosted solutions provider since 1998 - UK, Atlanta, L.A.,
    JaguarPC.com - Managed Hybrid Servers |
    Managed VPS Hosting | Dedicated Servers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coloradojaguar View Post
    I'm not even going to look at that engine right now. Google killer? That possibility doesn't and may never exist in my opinion. Google is so much more than an engine, its an empire and those don't fall for a long long time.
    I agree, I don't think there's ever going to be a new search engine that would or can kill Google. It has established its name and internet users will always depend on the big G to search something on the internet.

Mouse catcher silver trophy Stevie D's Avatar
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not so much a Google Killer as a parasite. As far as I can tell, it seems to just leech results from Google, Yahoo and Bing. So if it kills Google, it kills off part of the way it works. Not smart.

I'm not keen on the way the page snapshot shows the domain home page rather than the specific page being listed. And as you say, it is painfully slow.

What does this site supposedly do that is better than Google? I can't see anything.
    What does Google do better than this site? Pretty much everything. Quicker search, ore powerful calculator, currency conversion, maps, faster indexing (Google has indexed this thread, but Sperse hasn't).

In other words, forget it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie D View Post
    Not so much a Google Killer as a parasite. As far as I can tell, it seems to just leech results from Google, Yahoo and Bing. So if it kills Google, it kills off part of the way it works. Not smart.

I'm not keen on the way the page snapshot shows the domain home page rather than the specific page being listed. And as you say, it is painfully slow.

What does this site supposedly do that is better than Google? I can't see anything.
    What does Google do better than this site? Pretty much everything. Quicker search, ore powerful calculator, currency conversion, maps, faster indexing (Google has indexed this thread, but Sperse hasn't).

I agree it's not better than Google as it pulls results from Google, Yahoo and Bing as stated by Sperse. However, I do feel its much better than any other metasearch engine out there if they can speed up their search a little bit. And it is slow compared Google, Yahoo etc but its not "painfully slow" in my opinion.

<title class="lol"> bronze trophy TehYoyo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie D View Post

Yep. I second the parasite comment.

No one kills Google. Bing couldn't do it. Yahoo! couldn't do it. No chance in the world.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't see another search engine ever rivalling Goofle in the UK again, given its absolut dominance

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cklein1209 View Post
    Pls share your feedback pros and cons.
    results displayed nicely, but the thumbnails are sometimes inappropriate

results not nearly as comprehensive as http://duckduckgo.com, which has a ton of additional features
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think so.
    Google is google. Yahoo, Bing & other search engine try to back google. But not possible. If new search engine give us better service, if a mild competition we are benefited. I personally appreciate.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many have tried and failed because Google has already been associated with "search" in our minds. It's a giant company with many cool products and as a search engine, it does a great job and keeps on improving.

SitePoint Member lemonheadlenny's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just the very fact that the term 'google' has been considered entry into the next concise oxford dictionary tells it's own story!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope, that one day google monopoly will end. However, not sure, that sperse could be google rival.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tomthebiggie View Post
    I hope, that one day google monopoly will end. However, not sure, that sperse could be google rival.
    I feel like everybody is just replying without even going to sperse.com. I wanted a active discussion with pros and cons and not only what google is or does.

From Italy with love silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I feel like everybody is just replying without even going to sperse.com. I wanted a active discussion with pros and cons and not only what google is or does.
    I agree, not all replies are useful. But Replies #3, 4, 6 and 7 are giving you some cons.
    Do you have any pros?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When Spersing my name, he can't find myself, while google can

Avid Logophile silver trophy
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bulevardi View Post
    When Spersing my name, he can't find myself, while google can
    That is the first test any [new] Search Engine must pass!!

We tend to get so involved with Search Engine Optimism that we forget the real intent of any search engine: To help a user locate information. In many respects, those of us here on Sitepoint are so deep in the forest we cannot see any trees !!!
    Don't be yourself. Be someone a little nicer. -Mignon McLaughlin, journalist and author (1913-1983)

Git is for EVERYONE
    Literally, the best app for readers.
    Make Your P@ssw0rd Secure
    Leveraging SubDomains

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkinT View Post
    In many respects, those of us here on Sitepoint are so deep in the forest we cannot see any trees !!!
    One should be able to think out of the forest.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    interesting guys. much better than earlier discussions. anymore comments?

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    speaking of "the google killer has arrived" ...

recently featured on reddit, Why I don't use Bing

rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First it doesn't seem to be Google killer, but there were times when Google was not #1. So, let's see what will be in the future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its kinda hard to top something that allows for custom searches. Like google lol

----Addendum:
    I just checked it out. I clicked on the sign in portion, I was surprised that it did not have a "sign in with Google" button on it lol
    Overall it looks like it might be interesting but I will stick to Google for now.

Not to mention you cant kill google by using google... If you look at the source code you see it actually searches google for answers.

Although UI wise, it is actually pretty cool looking. Unlike google I can actually go read the source code. So kudo's to the developer for actually making something that is not a giant wall of "BLAAHHHHH"

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think that there can ever be a site that could give Google a run for their money. They have grown extensively and beaten others on the way. There are other search engines and popular ones too, but to get to beat Google, you have to beat the ones below it and I'd be surprised if someone got that far as well.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only website that could potentially compete against Google is Facebook. If they ever start their own search engine, I think a lot of people will be using it. Until that day comes, Google will be the most popular search engine in the world.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikey81 View Post
    The only website that could potentially compete against Google is Facebook. If they ever start their own search engine, I think a lot of people will be using it. Until that day comes, Google will be the most popular search engine in the world.
    What features do you think a search engine must have to beat Google or compete against it?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What features do you think a search engine must have to beat Google or compete against it?
    I think the point is that Google has a massive amount of exposure. That and the fact that they have integrated so much stuff like Google Images, Google Maps, Google Videos and what not. It so well blended that people say 'Google this or Google that'.

The edge that Facebook has is the fact that it has a lot of exposure as well. So if Facebook decides to serve as a search engine tomorrow, then that would most certainly be interesting. Although personally speaking, Facebook would have to do something completely brilliant to make me move from Google. I'm very well settled in.