SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Almeaty Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, now this forum won't let me feel so lonely with my newbie knowledge...

From a proud Mac-User.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This looks like a great idea.
    It should really help to not be afraid of asking the "Experts" a dumb question.

I was an absolute "Beginner" when I first came to SitePoint /WR. I had never done a web site before. Since then I have learned so much.

I like foward to answering a lot of questions.

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure... I liked the way it was, but well, I guess it's probably good to change things sometimes...

I'll just wait a few weeks and see how it goes.

------------------
    Elledan Dunedain
    http://emudreams.tsx.org
    TriAxis (Still Alpha!)
    Everyone has a destiny in life. Some just never reach it

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OMG!!! a new thread!! whatever are we to do elle? this fella wonders, d'ya think this might lead to a sort of class mentality, an "old boys" club? the feudal system of our age?

------------------
    Marty P
    marty@tinytin.com
    http://tinytin.com

"Speak as though I know nothing but am capable of understanding everything."

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Beginners' Corner is not so much creating another 'type of web designer' separate from the crowd but rather to let everyone who visits SP Forum feel like they also had a place to feel at ease!

It is very easy for someone new to feel these various forum topics were only for the 'experts' and the 'wizards' and the 'pros'....and not for them. They were learning, I have no doubt as I did when I began visiting, but it was difficult to post your questions or voice an opinion when it seemed like others knew so much more than you.

Never forget how overwhelming web design was when you first began and how it is even now - or there wouldn't be any questions in the other forum topics! How many times have you read the other posts and gone 'Wow I didn't know that...' and learned something new?

...Be the best teacher you can, the pay-offs are great

------------------
    Dlynn ~SitePoint Moderator~
    PawPrint Designs by WebKat
    "Let's keep Ethics on the Web"

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this is EXACTLY what this BBS was lacking in. I agree with webkat 110%. I, for one, have posted hundreds of messages in this BBS to help me in whatever it was i was stuck on at the moment. But the 2 to 300 questions ive already posted would surely be doubled had I felt more "comfortable" posting the other questions i had (and still have).

Its not the problem of the members of this BBS, some of you answer questions beautifully and can bring the answers down to the newbie level. But then theres others who just cant seem to make it clear to a newbie. But are EXCELLENT at answering questions for others. Perhaps because it has been so long since you were in the state of mind that the newbie is in, perhaps because youve been working on computers since you were 8 and never experienced the confusion that a newbie does. But never the less, there are times when a question is answered in such a way that the asker comes away feeling not only more lost than before, but also a bit "below par".

I think that this forum will make it easier (for those of you interested and talented in answering newbies questions) to be able to know when to break down what your saying and when not to.

Long ago i originated a thread on a topic i was completely confused on. And when all was said and done, unfortunately, i left here feeling more lost than when i came. And i felt a bit down because i was noticing that i was on a level that people couldnt even try and bring themselves down to. WebKat sent me an email boosting my spirits and making it clear that it will all come into focus soon enough. Now that it is, i can see where both sides are coming from (newbs/experts). Its hard for both ends.

WebKat, Im afraid i lost your email long ago but would like very much to get in touch with you again. if you still have my email, plese message me.

sorry for the speech. thats my 2 cents

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jizbot:

Webkat like many other community members makes her email address available to all. Just click on the email icon above one of her posts.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Forums Administrator
    Digital Magician Magazine - MetaQuark Creations (Coming Soon)
    wayne@sitepoint.com

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice one...although I got a bit of a shock when I first saw the forums this morning!

------------------
    www.gib-online.com
    The Rock of Gibraltar on the WEB
    www.urban-studios.com
    ...for all your IT solutions

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh damn...

i was wondering how webkat got my email to begin with...

now thats embarrasing

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darn, now you know my secret trick

p.s. Thank your for your kind words, they made my day!

------------------
    Dlynn ~SitePoint Moderator~
    PawPrint Designs by WebKat
    "Let's keep Ethics on the Web"

[This message has been edited by WebKat (edited August 20, 2000).]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I use to come through before when it was Webmaster-Resources, but, I did not stay long.

I feel the site is just "out of site" right now and I visit it daily. It is really tough to find a site where you can just jump in at any level and not be made to feel stupid or that you are wasting everyone's time.

I have begun at least 4 web sites which I have not been able to finish because a problem would always pop up. It was really depressing. Over the last two weeks, while visiting here, I feel like I got a lot of information and got my spirits lifted. I will be able to finish all of them now. That is a real good feeling to have.

The suggestions of WebKat and wluke have been real helpful along with the suggestions of many site members.

BTW, WebKat I wrote Homestead about the Favicon and bottom frame problem. They are suppose to be putting out another build in early September. Hope spings eternal.

Thanks again everybody.

WP

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Award goes to WP1 for the most use of smiley faces in one post <grin>.

------------------
    www.gib-online.com
    The Rock of Gibraltar on the WEB
    www.urban-studios.com
    ...for all your IT solutions