SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

Does anyone know of any online info explaining how to make up a favicon and how to place into a web page, especially, sub domain webpages like Homestead.

Thanks in advance,

WP

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what is a favicon anyway?

im curious

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    check out www.favicon.com

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After you have created your 16x16 icon you then upload it to all of of the directories that contain HTML files - but Homestead currently only supports .jpg and .gif images so you won't be able to import any .ico (icon) graphics to your website that you have built there (even using their FTP option).

------------------
    Dlynn ~SitePoint Moderator~
    PawPrint Designs by WebKat
    "Let's keep Ethics on the Web"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input everyone.

I am going to write to Homestead and ask them to allow Homesteaders to upload the .ico extension.

Thanks again,

WP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me also say IE 5.5 only has limited support for the favicon.

Christophe

------------------
    Freesources.net - the ultimate webmaster resources site
    WebmasterCJ design - opening new worlds for small prices
    Visit the SitePoint Chat!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, FavIcon has been tricky for me. I think they ought to have the icon present in place of the default icon whenever you're visiting the site in addition to a bookmark/favorite.

------------------
    Chris Bowyer chris@mycoding.com
    MyCoding.com: Visit for Launch Notification!
    DomainMailings.com: Who Says All The Good Ones Are Taken?
    MovieForums.com: Talk About Your Favorite Flicks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by freesources:
    Let me also say IE 5.5 only has limited support for the favicon.

Christophe

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't that a step back instead of a step forward?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by jizbot:
    what is a favicon anyway?

im curious
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi,

I am sorry I did not respond earlier. Got caught up in my own stuff.

A favicon is a bookmark icon. MSIE 5.0 allows a webmaster to create an icon (16x16) which can appear in the favorites (bookmarks) next to the site name when a site is bookmarked. The icon not only appears in the favorites but also in the location bar anytime the site is "brought up".

Check out

Favicon http://favicon.com

So, You Want Your Own Bookmark Icon, Huh? http://htmlgoodies.earthweb.com/tutors/favicon.html

Hope the above helps.

WP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi WebKat,

Two things (Points of Information),

NUMBER 1

I checked out Homestead yesterday eve. They recently had their monthly upgrade. I was able to upload the "ico" file I made at Favicon ( http://www.favicon.com ).

Now I will attempt to play around with code to see if I can get it to work as a favicon.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions as to how to get it to work at homestead please let me know. Homestead does not allow access to the &lt;HEAD&gt; tags.

NUMBER 2

I learned from reading the Homestead boards yesterday eve that only the index page must be build with the editor. One can upload the other HTML pages and then interact with them via links. Maybe this is the answer to many of my compatibility problems.

Thanks,

WP

[This message has been edited by WP1 (edited August 23, 2000).]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by WP1:
    I learned from reading the Homestead boards yesterday eve that only the index page must be build with the editor. One can upload the other HTML pages and then interact with them via links. Maybe this is the answer to many of my compatibility problems.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Homestead has had the ability to FTP web page for about a year now. So you don't have to use the Homestead's Web Editor to create your pages...except you must use it to build the 'index' page.

Never hesitate to check out website's FAQs and Help sections because many of your questions and answers can be found there and you may find out something new! If you have wondered about something, odds are someone else has too...

* One thing to think about * One of the best things that I like is that when you build pages with the Homestead editor there is only a 'narrow banner' with Homestead's logo at the bottom of your web pages BUT when you FTP other web pages that you have built you will now have the 'wide banner' at the bottom of your page -- the one with icons to sign up, join mailing list, etc. You can't change this to the smaller, narrow banner (I requested this awhile back) which is why I didn't often upload pages. But if your don't mind having the 'wide banner' at the bottom of your pages, then FTP...

------------------

[This message has been edited by WebKat (edited August 23, 2000).]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're so restricted by HomeStead I would consider moving to another host. Hypermart.net is a good one. It has support for a lot of stuff, is easy to use, etc etc.

Christophe

------------------
    Freesources.net - the ultimate webmaster resources site
    WebmasterCJ design - opening new worlds for small prices
    Visit the SitePoint Chat!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by WebKat:
    * One thing to think about * One of the best things that I like is that when you build pages with the Homestead editor there is only a 'narrow banner' with Homestead's logo at the bottom of your web pages BUTwhen you FTP other web pages that you have built you will now have the 'wide banner' at the bottom of your page -- the one with icons to sign up, join mailing list, etc. You can't change this to the smaller, narrow banner (I requested this awhile back) which is why I didn't often upload pages. But if your don't mind having the 'wide banner' at the bottom of your pages, then FTP...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi,

If you upload the htm and/or html page on the web site into the "Imported Files" section of the particular web site you should get no banner at all at the bottom of the page.

Now I had the page preferences set to open to a new browser window when the links where clicked. This may have been the reason I did not get the thick bottom banner. I will check again today.

Again thanks all for their help.

WP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by WP1:

If you upload the htm and/or html page on the web site into the "Imported Files" section of the particular web site you should get no banner at all at the bottom of the page.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have an imported file and the banner differs from the way that you access the page. Try clicking from the link from one of your pages to your imported file's URL AND then click and open the imported file's URL after you have bookmarked the page...

You should find that when you click from your web site to the URL you won't have any banner but when you click from a bookmarked URL you will have the wide banner.

I emailed them often about this be because I thought I was going nuts, seeing the banner and then not seeing the banner!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by freesources:

If you're so restricted by HomeStead I would consider moving to another host. Hypermart.net is a good one. It has support for a lot of stuff, is easy to use, etc etc.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Homestead is not only a host but also offers an online editor (you can also edit your pages off-line and publish them later). So it is not the hosting service that they offer that has quirks, but rather it is the online editor and how it formats web pages that sometimes causes headaches. Most sign up to build their web site easy and free. It can work well for most but as you learn more you want to do more and that is where limitations occur...

* Note * The best lesson that I learned from working with Homestead's editor is that it is really no different than working with any other editor or trying to make pages compatible with browsers in the sense that you sometimes have to keep trying different ways of doing the same thing and then finding out which on works the best.

Working with programs is always trial and error. You just can't do it one way and say that it works. Fix a table with Dreamweaver and it works with IE, then when you view in Netscape it is all over the page and your cell widths are off. You then have to see how you designed the page and odds are there is a tag missing here or an unnecessary space there...no different than working with the editor of Homestead!

------------------